Who's good with OJ Howard at 10?

njbuff

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from against this to for it. My original reasons for not being for this:

1. Never a fan of taking a player high who needs an explanation to why his numbers were not what you would expect from an Elite Talent.

2. We have Clay, so TE isn't a big hole or glaring need.

3. Elite prospects at 10 that fill holes we don't even have starters at like S, CB and WR opposite Sammy.

4. TE value can be found all over the draft and even in UDFA rookies as none of the top TE's except Olsen were first round picks, and all the previous elite TE prospects that went first round since Olsen had not lived up to the hype.

Why I flipped:

1. Poster made a good point about TE usage in college and why numbers are often not over the top or consistent from that position, which is accurate.

2. His combine was insane.

3. He is a big playmaking target who creates matchup problems. Him, Sammy, and Clay would be a fit to cover, so could have a similar impact or even more than a WR opposite Sammy.

4. We signed some promising help at WR in FA.

All that being said, I still prefer an Elite prospect on D or at WR over OJ if we stay at 10 simply because those are still bigger needs overall. But I would be just fine if they did take Howard at 10. However, if they truly want OJ, then trading down would be appealing and adding more assets in this draft would be great. However, the reality is that OJ will be in play high in this draft and could go before or just after our pick (probably after), so we may not be able to get him if we trade back and taking him at 10 may be the only real way to get him. He will certainly go top 20, and has a real good shot to go top 15 and might surprise and go top 10. So if you want him bad, how far do you trade back and risk him going before that pick? In other words, there better be multiple candidates you love in the range you trade back to because he very well may not make it there.

After years of watching offensive talent underutilized at osu and then becoming much more productive in the NFL, for a number of reasons, I'll never use low production as a reason to downgrade a player. A lot has to do with the system, the QB, the coaching and the amount of surrounding talented big time recruits that the coaches feel obligated to get the ball to. NFL traits and game film rule the evaluation. Apparently he was always where he was supposed to be, blocking, never pouted for not getting the ball, and when called upon to make a big play he made it. That's the bottom line for me.

I went from against this to for it. My original reasons for not being for this:

1. Never a fan of taking a player high who needs an explanation to why his numbers were not what you would expect from an Elite Talent.

2. We have Clay, so TE isn't a big hole or glaring need.

3. Elite prospects at 10 that fill holes we don't even have starters at like S, CB and WR opposite Sammy.

4. TE value can be found all over the draft and even in UDFA rookies as none of the top TE's except Olsen were first round picks, and all the previous elite TE prospects that went first round since Olsen had not lived up to the hype.

Why I flipped:

1. Poster made a good point about TE usage in college and why numbers are often not over the top or consistent from that position, which is accurate.

2. His combine was insane.

3. He is a big playmaking target who creates matchup problems. Him, Sammy, and Clay would be a fit to cover, so could have a similar impact or even more than a WR opposite Sammy.

4. We signed some promising help at WR in FA.

All that being said, I still prefer an Elite prospect on D or at WR over OJ if we stay at 10 simply because those are still bigger needs overall. But I would be just fine if they did take Howard at 10. However, if they truly want OJ, then trading down would be appealing and adding more assets in this draft would be great. However, the reality is that OJ will be in play high in this draft and could go before or just after our pick (probably after), so we may not be able to get him if we trade back and taking him at 10 may be the only real way to get him. He will certainly go top 20, and has a real good shot to go top 15 and might surprise and go top 10. So if you want him bad, how far do you trade back and risk him going before that pick? In other words, there better be multiple candidates you love in the range you trade back to because he very well may not make it there.

I've evolved to more or less the same position from the same starting point. Either OJ or either of the top WR picks do the same thing - give Tryhard another target. I think OJ does more than that now, and having watched him at Alabama, he was a leader on the field, the Bills could use a few more guys who expect to win, and who help get the most out of each player

After years of watching offensive talent underutilized at osu and then becoming much more productive in the NFL, for a number of reasons, I'll never use low production as a reason to downgrade a player. A lot has to do with the system, the QB, the coaching and the amount of surrounding talented big time recruits that the coaches feel obligated to get the ball to. NFL traits and game film rule the evaluation. Apparently he was always where he was supposed to be, blocking, never pouted for not getting the ball, and when called upon to make a big play he made it. That's the bottom line for me.

He made a ton of big plays, and played big in big games

If Howard is Available at 10 trade down. Raiders and Seahawks looking for a TE. You could trade the 10th pick for 24th and 56th pick this year and a 2nd round pick in 2018. I believe Raiders would do it as they feel they are close to a Superbowl contender.

Why would the bills do that if Howard is a special player?

We need playmakers on this team

Why would the bills do that if Howard is a special player?

We need playmakers on this team

....but the Clay deal overloads the TE investment and you're stuck.....how would you rate Howard vs Gresham or Ebron, both 1st rounders (21st and 10th) and would you invest MORE in TE spot?....

....but the Clay deal overloads the TE investment and you're stuck.....how would you rate Howard vs Gresham or Ebron, both 1st rounders (21st and 10th) and would you invest MORE in TE spot?....

Thats my personal biggest road block on Howard too, having Clay already here and big investment in him. However, if I am not mistaken, isnt Clay a FA next year or we can get out of the contract or something? I feel like this is the final year we are really tied to him, but I could be wrong. Assume I am right on that, then Howard could come in as part as duel threat attack with Clay this year and then replace him and get Clay off our books next year and free up cap space. But again, not positive about Clays deal.

Thats my personal biggest road block on Howard too, having Clay already here and big investment in him. However, if I am not mistaken, isnt Clay a FA next year or we can get out of the contract or something? I feel like this is the final year we are really tied to him, but I could be wrong. Assume I am right on that, then Howard could come in as part as duel threat attack with Clay this year and then replace him and get Clay off our books next year and free up cap space. But again, not positive about Clays deal.

...I believe the is a $9 mil cap hit in 2018..........

Trading up to get Watkins WAS THE MISTAKE....

...so now picking a WR or TE at #10 is okay because these guys now come with a warranty?......and you mean to tell me Whaley's crystal bawls could NOT forecast Sammy getting dinged?...man needs a transplant.......the fickle get fickler.....good Lord.............