Welcome Micah Hyde

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What should really be noted is the Packers often let free agents walk and rebuild through the draft. You mention a perennial playoff team, but they have an all-time great QB and are always hovering around 10-6. Like I said, the Packers often let players walk and try to rebuild through the draft. Andrew Brandt a former executive with the Packers has mentioned it several times on his weekly Sirius segment with Ross Tucker. The Packers letting Hyde walk, means absolutely nothing about his ability.

The Pack win on offense. The pay Rodgers $20m a year and have two wideouts making $10m plus. After that they pay their left tackle, Clay Matthews and Daniels on the defensive line. That is a huge chunk of their money. I can understand why you don't look to retain a nickel / safety in that cap situation.

I'm very confident Hyde will be a quality addition. He is a good football player.

Sal's on WGR now talking about Micah Hyde. He made an interesting point. McDermott stated yesterday that he can work with just 2 linebackers because he's done that a lot in his career. Sal thinks that Hyde could act as that hybrid in the box safety/linebacker...sort of like what Darron Lee with the Jets and what Jabril Peppers will probably be. I think that makes sense. Brown and Ragland at traditional linebacker spots with Hyde being the hybrid. Seems like the majority of the time, they Bills will be in nickel.

We're supposedly making progress with Lorenzo Alexander. His specialty is rushing the passer. This is me thinking out loud with some packages.

Traditional 4-3

Lawson, Dareus, Williams and Hughes. Alexander, Ragland and Brown.

Nickel is where it can be interesting.

You could have packages in which one of the linebackers comes off the field or in Alexanders case....move to DE. Hyde moves in the box.

Hughes and Lawson/Alexander at ends. Dareus and Williams inside.

You could also have Lawson slide inside on passing downs. Williams and Alexander are in their mid 30's and probably won't be able to stay on the field as much as they used to. This is where Lawson can be versatile at end/DT and of course, 2nd year Adolphus Washington mixing in on the inside.

I'm also thinking that secondary will still be a focus in the draft and maybe another FA vet.

Sal's on WGR now talking about Micah Hyde. He made an interesting point. McDermott stated yesterday that he can work with just 2 linebackers because he's done that a lot in his career. Sal thinks that Hyde could act as that hybrid in the box safety/linebacker...sort of like what Darron Lee with the Jets and what Jabril Peppers will probably be. I think that makes sense. Brown and Ragland at traditional linebacker spots with Hyde being the hybrid. Seems like the majority of the time, they Bills will be in nickel.

We're supposedly making progress with Lorenzo Alexander. His specialty is rushing the passer. This is me thinking out loud with some packages.

Traditional 4-3

Lawson, Dareus, Williams and Hughes. Alexander, Ragland and Brown.

Nickel is where it can be interesting.

You could have packages in which one of the linebackers comes off the field or in Alexanders case....move to DE. Hyde moves in the box.

Hughes and Lawson/Alexander at ends. Dareus and Williams inside.

You could also have Lawson slide inside on passing downs. Williams and Alexander are in their mid 30's and probably won't be able to stay on the field as much as they used to. This is where Lawson can be versatile at end/DT and of course, 2nd year Adolphus Washington mixing in on the inside.

I'm also thinking that secondary will still be a focus in the draft and maybe another FA vet.

Good stuff. I have to think they're taking a cb in the first two rounds.

i look at it this way...as long as Brady is there, pats were going to beat us with or without Gilmore. We can't beat them even with Gilmore for 5 years. We can't wrap up that kind of contract in a CB in this particular scheme because we don't have Brady. We and everyone else need to play for 2nd place regardless. It is what it is. But we need Gilmore's money to pay players to play within this new scheme, and win the other games. I wish him well, but he doesn't need it!

*better he go there than another WC contender like Pitt, Miami, Oakland, etc. We were going to lose to the Pats anyway regardless of which side Gilmore was on.

You're pretty much sharing a brain with me in this respect.

Good stuff. I have to think they're taking a cb in the first two rounds.

They have to. You can never have enough good DBs. I hope they take a WR in the first, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a S or CB at 10

If they are going with only 2 LBs then we need to find someone better than P.Brown to be one of them. He is flat out terrible. Always going to the wrong hole, can't shed blocks, average at best tackler who was made to look a fool on a weekly basis last year in the running game. His instincts are just horrendous.

If they are going with only 2 LBs then we need to find someone better than P.Brown to be one of them. He is flat out terrible. Always going to the wrong hole, can't shed blocks, average at best tackler who was made to look a fool on a weekly basis last year in the running game. His instincts are just horrendous.

This. I believe a 3rd or 5th rd Lb that can run would be an upgrade over Brown. Ruben Foster and Ragland would be great too