Gillislee will get multiple offers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And for a few hundred thousand more you could have applied a 2nd round tender and secured his services for another year. The RFA rules are important to understand when discussing tenders.

He just used a 5th rounder last year on Williams, knowing Whaley and his affinity for his picks JWil is the new back up.

And for a few hundred thousand more you could have applied a 2nd round tender and secured his services for another year. The RFA rules are important to understand when discussing tenders.

Why didn't they? I have generally been a pro-Whaley guy, but this seems incompetent.

Someone will bite?

We want to give him away for a fifth? Why?

I'm not condoning the move by any means, I believe a 5th round tender is low. I think a team will look at his production from the previous 2 years and see that he can be a low-cost starter for a team in need of a running back. He was part of an offense that had three players rush for 500+ yards for the second year straight. (The only team to ever do that) He has shown in goal to go situations he is likely to punch the ball in.

I like Touch-Down Mike and feel he might be somewhere else next season.

I love TD Mike

But

This is a very very deep RB class

I can see good ones falling to round 4-5 with really good talent

Same mistake they made with Chris Hogan. Gave him a low tender when for less than a mil more they could almost guarantee he stays or get a good draft pick for him.

May be a deep class but this team is full of holes and running back is not one of them. Bills have 6 draft picks and no cap room. Possibly creating another hole over less than a mil is dumb.

you don't get rid of a bunch of players just to tender a backup RB.

He is more than just a backup running back. He spells a star that is on the downside of his career. Less than a million dollars more isn't the difference of getting rid of a bunch of players.

Basically we traded Gillislee for Jonathan Williams. Williams is a 5th rd pk Gillislee will net us a 5th . Horrible trade if u ask me

Say goodbye to Groy he's gone. Some team will realize our cap situation and reap the benefits of us developing him. Maybe The Pat's pk up both these guys. Would be excellent fits with them.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Instead of losing him for nothing?

No, instead of losing him for a 2nd. EDIT: or not losing him at all...

Paying Gillislee starter money would be a really bad deal. He has proven very valuable as a change of pace back in the Bills running game the last two years. He has not shown well when asked to start. Two completely different things. They obviously value him enough to try and negotiate a long term deal, but with so many other needs at a variety of positions, overpaying for your backup running back would be foolish. If some team wants to knock his socks off with a starter value contract, so be it. That would hardly be the end of the world. I would much rather take that extra money toward a starting linebacker or safety or right tackle.

Unless he becomes the starter, whether it be from McCoy injury or eventual retirement. And you're right - he has been a very valuable part of our running game. No one is asking him to start, but I have no problem with them asking him to come back and be one of the top change of pace backs in the league. I do think having him in the pipeline as a McCoy heir apparent is smart.

I understand that allocating too much money to one position is a problem, but somehow I do not buy that $1M at running back versus wherever else it might go is going to change much. We were never going to be huge FA players this year anyways. I don't care if we didn't draft him - retain your own applies to buy-low FAs who have proven themselves productive and valuable to the Bills.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

He just used a 5th rounder last year on Williams, knowing Whaley and his affinity for his picks JWil is the new back up.

I hear you but that doesn't make it a good decision. I've defended a lot of what Whaley has done but this is a mistake. Every decision is cost/benefit. MG was one of the easiest decisions of the offseason and he dropped the ball.

I hear you but that doesn't make it a good decision. I've defended a lot of what Whaley has done but this is a mistake. Every decision is cost/benefit. MG was one of the easiest decisions of the offseason and he dropped the ball.

I jump on Whaley at every chance I get but this is exactly you mentioned with cost/benefit. He invested a 5th rounder in Williams and now the back up running back spot is going to be occupied for peanuts. He is going to recieve that same 5th round pick when Gilly goes elsewhere. That means he paid nothing and now has a guy playing on the cheap whom he hand picked.

Now you can say well Gilly averaged 5.7 YPC and played well last season. He did. Who hasn't ran for a solid YPC in Buffalo the past few seasons? Dixon maybe? Karlos had a similiar season to touchdown Mike's 2016. To me anyone that expected/wanted Gilly to get paid in Buffalo should have seen this one coming. Only way that was going down is if Shady was sent packing.

As a guy who defends Whaley so often I'm surprised you would think is capable of walking away from Williams so quickly. Don't forget Williams was coming off a major foot injury which cost him his 15' season as a Razorback. Think back to draft day and how many folks loved his vision and footwork once we took a second look. It's not hard to believe that he will serve as an adequate RB in this system.

Edited by Commonsense

Love to keep him but I also think J.Williams would be a very good complimentary back to Shady. Gillisee is talented but can be replaced.

I think J Williams was awful last season. Incredibly slow, and he fumbled a few times. Not a good debut.

No one will need to overpay. We are so cap strapped that a 3 mil a year deal will be unmatchable for us. I think someone will give him that.

I agree, a 3 million dollarish a year front loaded deal will poach away Gillislee. It's amazing that Whaley is hesitant about throwing 800K more on good productive guys like Hogan and Gillislee for that 2nd round tender, but will piss away millions on stiffs like Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush.

It would be easier to think that JWil would be a good substitute for Gillislee if he at least looked competent against third stringers in August or didn't fumble when a breeze hit his helmet.

I heard a lot of good about J Williams, but then he looked kinda slow. Maybe I missed something. But he's basically "free" if we lose Gilly, and how much can we pay the RB position? I'd like to keep Gilly though......

I'm fairly confident TD Mike will be a Bill in 2017

I hope so!