The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

He just thinks he will be back to work in September...

Laying low until people have had enough of #cancelculture isn't a bad strategy.  Vacationing as a mea culpa? If he can get away with it ...

I like how he's pretending that his vacation was planned to happen just as someone remembered his Karl Malone skits.

Of course, no one points out that Malone was also a sexual predator who liked to screw 12 year old girls (thus creating a former LT for the Bills.)

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Great job?? HA HA HA Holding rallies in closed areans as the virus spreads. This guy is a SUPER SPREADER! 

Man, if Trump had only called it a peaceful protest, the people in attendance would have been completely immune from the Flu Manchu.

#IMPEACH

Just now, Koko78 said:

Man, if Trump had only called it a peaceful protest, the people in attendance would have been completely immune from the Flu Manchu.

#IMPEACH

I don't care who flung po, he made a decision to hold an indoor rally during a pandemic in a state where numbers are exploding. That's not a crime I guess

Yes, that is not a crime, right? 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don't care who flung po, he made a decision to hold an indoor rally during a pandemic in a state where numbers are exploding. That's not a crime I guess

Yes, that is not a crime, right? 

Would it have made you feel better if they burned a few buildings, or tore down some statues? Is that what makes people immune to the virus?

You'll have to help me out here. I'm not sure what the disingenuous leftist criteria are for what mass gatherings provide immunity from the virus.

21 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Would it have made you feel better if they burned a few buildings, or tore down some statues? Is that what makes people immune to the virus?

You'll have to help me out here. I'm not sure what the disingenuous leftist criteria are for what mass gatherings provide immunity from the virus.

Much like smoke will keep bees from stinging you, the smoke from burning buildings will keep Covid from infecting you.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

98154678_246062219834054_385274264556666

What do you want, community organizers in charge? We know how well they understand our country's heritage and how competent that background prepares them for accomplishing positive things for our country.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:25 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

He just thinks he will be back to work in September...

Laying low until people have had enough of #cancelculture isn't a bad strategy.  Vacationing as a mea culpa? If he can get away with it ...

...how this skank rose from only making Sunday football prognostications to where he is today is WELL beyond me.....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how this skank rose from only making Sunday football prognostications to where he is today is WELL beyond me.....

It was promoting "girls on trampolines" that helped him out. ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It was promoting "girls on trampolines" that helped him out. ?‍♂️

...hell he should come to NYS and run for office...downstate will elect ANYTHING........welcome "NYC Mayor Kimmel"...............

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I never, ever understood why anyone would want to watch "girls on trampolines." Still don't get it. ?‍♂️

We'd be worried about you if you did get it.

But, it was nearly genius.  ;)

JOURNALISTS ABANDONING ‘OBJECTIVITY’ FOR ‘MORAL CLARITY’ REALLY JUST WANT TO CALL PEOPLE IMMORAL:

Wesley Lowery, a Pulitzer-prize-winning correspondent for the 60 Minutes offshoot 60 in 6, has the latest and perhaps loudest in a recent series of think-pieces extolling the virtues of newsroom revolts such as the one that erupted at The New York Times earlier this month after its opinion pages published a controversial piece by Sen. Tom Cotton (R – Ark.).

Lowery and his industry allies contend that the national tumult stemming from the police killing of George Floyd is a prime opportunity to overhaul journalism’s very mission statement. “Neutral objectivity” as an aspiration, he argues in a Times essay, has failed, and should be replaced by “moral clarity.”

“Moral clarity would insist that politicians who traffic in racist stereotypes and tropes—however cleverly—be labeled such with clear language and unburied evidence,” Lowery writes. “Racism, as we know, is not about what lies in the depths of a human’s heart. It is about word and deed. And a more aggressive commitment to truth from the press would empower our industry to finally admit that.”

This proposed objectivity-for-morality swap is gaining momentum in the spaces where professional journalists congregate, pontificate, and/or swarm on Twitter to get senior managers fired.

Newsrooms “are really struggling to cover…in a way that appears to be nonpartisan a kind of political landscape where one political party in many ways has gone rogue and is not following the rules,” the Times’ Pulitzer-Prize-winning Nikole Hannah-Jones said on CNN’s Reliable Sources after the Cotton flap, in which she was a driving figure. “This adherence to even-handedness, both-sidesism, the View from Nowhere, doesn’t actually work in the political circumstances that we’re in.”

We’ve been here before, of course. Flashback to 2004:

An internal memo written by ABCNEWS Political Director Mark Halperin admonishes ABC staff: During coverage of Democrat Kerry and Republican Bush not to “reflexively and artificially hold both sides ‘equally’ accountable.”

The controversial internal memo obtained by DRUDGE, captures Halperin stating how “Kerry distorts, takes out of context, and mistakes all the time, but these are not central to his efforts to win.”

But Halperin claims that Bush is hoping to “win the election by destroying Senator Kerry at least partly through distortions.”

“The current Bush attacks on Kerry involve distortions and taking things out of context in a way that goes beyond what Kerry has done,” Halperin writes.

Halperin’s claim that ABCNEWS will not “reflexively and artificially hold both sides ‘equally’ accountable” set off sparks in St. Louis where media players gathered to cover the second presidential debate.

Halperin states the responsibilities of the ABCNEWS staff have “become quite grave.”

In August, Halperin declared online: “This is now John Kerry’s contest to lose.”

That was also the year that the New York Times’ then-ombudsman admitted the obvious: “Is The New York Times a Liberal Newspaper? Of course it is.”

But that was before “Safetyism” became the law of the land on academia. In a 2018 review of Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt’s The Coddling of the American Mind, Quillette contributor Matthew Lesh asked, “Is Safetyism Destroying a Generation?

Safety culture undermines the entire purpose of a higher education. Universities exist to challenge students, to expand their worldview and develop their critical thinking. This is done by hearing and responding to ideas that make us feel uncomfortable. Efforts to censor speakers because they make some people feel ‘unsafe’ prevents the necessary process of argument and counter-argument in the pursuit of finding the truth.

Debate on campus is already undermined by the lack of viewpoint diversity – most academics come from a similar political pedigree, meaning students have fewer opportunities to be challenged in the first place. A lack of exposure to different ideas means a much more limited and weaker education. As British philosopher John Stuart Mill wrote, ‘He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that.’ In other words, to make an argument thoughtfully, it is necessary to understand the counterfactual of one’s own argument.

In 2015, Ashe Schow, then with the Washington Examiner wrote, “With all the attention being paid to college-aged social justice warriors and microagressions, one has to ask: What happens when all these delicate snowflakes enter the workforce?”

The media world is finding out, good and hard.

Related: News Pages, Editorial Pages — Who Can Tell the Difference Any More?

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I never, ever understood why anyone would want to watch "girls on trampolines." Still don't get it. ?‍♂️

Ziggie Ziggie Ziggie Ziggie Zoy Zoy Zoy!

Its a guy thing B Gal. 

Edited by Nanker

TYLER O’NEIL: The Real Reason Why Senate Democrats Blocked Debate on Police Reform.

7f9384f3-ccf7-4b0a-b9cc-f7e5eb29d4c8-730

On Wednesday, Senate Democrats blocked debate on the JUSTICE Act, the police reform bill sponsored by Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.). Just last week, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) had demanded that Senate Republicans submit a police reform bill by July 4. Yet this week, Schumer said the JUSTICE Act was “unsalvageable” and that it would not even form a good starting point for debate on the issue.

This afternoon, Democrats filibustered the measure, preventing any debate on the bill.

Senate Democrats pre-emptively blasted the bill before Republicans had finished drafting it. Minutes after Scott, a black Republican senator, revealed the bill, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) called it a “token” effort.

On Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) went so far as accusing Republicans of “trying to get away with murder, the murder of George Floyd,” because the JUSTICE Act’s provisions against chokeholds did not go far enough, in her view. She doubled down on that heinous accusation on Wednesday.

In the past few months, Democrats have engaged in this kind of maneuvering in order to push wish-list items in coronavirus relief bills, attempting to take advantage of the coronavirus crisis. Yet when it comes to the JUSTICE Act, the Republican and Democratic bills are substantially similar.

More at the link

GRAY LADY DOWN: 

In Racist Screed, NYT’s 1619 Project Founder Calls ‘White Race’ ‘Barbaric Devils,’ ‘Bloodsuckers,’ Columbus ‘No Different Than Hitler.’ 

“This isn’t the first time the New York Times has hired and kept a writer with a history of racism and radical views.

In 2018, the NYT hired Sarah Jeong despite a long string of racist tweets that littered her Twitter calling white people ‘goblins,’ likening their smell to dogs, and asking to ‘#cancelallwhitepeople’.”

Did mainstream media just make a decision to downplay the protests? Was there some poll? Did the ratings come in?

Did the events in Madison, Wisconsin — with the toppling of a statue to the abstraction of progress and a statute of an antislavery hero — suddenly wake everyone up to the downside of encouraging chaos?

I'm looking at The NYT and The Washington Post, and all the top stories are about Covid19 — the big story that the protests had overcome and submerged. Covid is back with a vengeance.

On the WaPo home page, the "above the fold" area is full of Covid19 headlines. Then there are a few things about the 2020 elections, something about Michael Flynn, something about the Palestinians, and — this is the closest we get to the protests — the defeat of Tim Scott's police reform bill. Scrolling past the top screen, there's "Trump lashes out at Black Lives Matter in two tweets/The president accused one of the movement’s members of treason and lamented alleged plans for a new mural in front of Trump Tower in Manhattan that honors the cause" and "Blackface has long been an issue in comedy/Look no further than SNL" — both racial but still not about whatever protests/riots might be happening. Scrolling further, I'm reading many many headlines, but nothing about the protests. Finally, near the bottom, in tiny print, I see "Perspective/Toppling more statues isn’t working when there’s other work to be done." That's all there is right now, I believe.

On the NYT home page, the entire "above the fold" space is devoted to Covid19. After that, there is one protest-related story — "How the Philadelphia Police Tear-Gassed Trapped Protesters" — but it's focused on police tactics and grouped with a couple other stories about police tactics that happened outside of the protests. There's also a set of 3 headlines about "The Debate on Statues." That's the sober issue of whether they should they be removed, not the exciting drama of a mob tearing them down in the night. There are 11 headlines for opinion columns, and only one is at related (and not directly — "We Know How George Flynn Died"). Again, it's about the police. Further down, there's stuff about Louisa May Alcott and Leo Tolstoy and Biden's VP. There's nothing about what's going on any "autonomous zones" or where anybody marched or rioted.

I really think a big decision was made to stop talking about it! I'm just going to guess that word got around that the ongoing protests were hurting Democratic Party candidates.

MSNBC MAY SOON REWARD HOMOPHOBIC CONSPIRACY THEORIST WITH PLUM PRIME-TIME GIG:”

MSNBC’s Joy Reid is apparently in talks to take over the 7 p.m. weekday spot previously held by former anchor Chris Matthews, who resigned abruptly in March following allegations that he made inappropriate comments to a network guest.

If true, it means that MSNBC will have traded a three martini-style sexist who has copped to the inappropriate remarks for a homophobic conspiracy-theory wing nut. I cannot decide if this would be an upgrade, a downgrade, or a lateral move for the cable network.

Lateral move.

Imagine thinking this is journalism.

How did NY “do it?” NY has been able to beat Coronavirus because of, wait for it, all the dead people.

We are sailing into COVID-containment because so many NY’ers who had it ***** died.

Our response was trash. This is trash.

EbiylQwX0AAqpY-?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-biden-anger-2020-focus-victor-davis-hanson

Victor Davis Hanson: Anger, not Trump vs. Biden, now driving 2020 election

Much of the country believes that America is racist, cruel and incapable of self-correction

By Victor Davis Hanson | Tribune Media Services

The old 2020 election was supposed to be about many familiar issues. It is not anymore.

Basically says whose constituency is the angriest will win the election. I agree.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

I am betting that this is the exact picture that was the impetus of Posobiec going there in the first place. My guess is that he has his eye on a public office one day, where this will get dusted off to show his patriotism and willingness to confront the mob. While he does have some good information at times, I don't trust the true intentions of him (or Cernovich, for that matter).

4 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I am betting that this is the exact picture that was the impetus of Posobiec going there in the first place. My guess is that he has his eye on a public office one day, where this will get dusted off to show his patriotism and willingness to confront the mob. While he does have some good information at times, I don't trust the true intentions of him (or Cernovich, for that matter).

I read he’s former navy intelligence, which could be why he was so cool under that kind of pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I read he’s former navy intelligence, which could be why he was so cool under that kind of pressure. 

Yep, he is. Which is one of the reasons I am leery of him. There have been an awful lot of former intelligence people going into the news media/politics, whose motives I am distrustful of.

And Navy Intelligence also seems fairly swampy (Eddie Gallagher and Fat Leonard spring to mind immediately).

• Like (+1) 2

ABC Clinton Lackey Refuses to Call-Out Pelosi’s Crazy Conspiracy Theories

by Nicholas Fondacaro

Original Article

If President Trump had said the things Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has been saying over the past week without evidence, the liberal media would be questioning his sanity and fitness for office. But since she currently leads their party, she’s above reproach. Sunday’s This Week was no exception as ABC chief anchor and resident Clinton lackey, George Stephanopoulos refused two critically press the Speaker on her claim that the Republican Party had killed George Floyd, and that the President was a Russian agent.

• Like (+1) 1