The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

Crazy how much rancor we have in our politics.

It’s so bad.

I wonder if we revert back to the mean at some point or if politics is irretrievably lost in this beastly, meaningless, partisan, place. 

NO, SHE’S MERELY EXPOSING IT. Media fret: Kayleigh McEnany undermining journalism ‘credibility.’

In the Columbia Journalism Review, Bill Grueskin rapped McEnany for her tactics…His top complaint seems to be McEnany’s criticism of the media, a tactic he said she uses to pivot from questions she doesn’t like.

“Gamblers would call such an episode ‘the tell.’ McEnany demonstrated that her goal isn’t to respond directly to these questions, or even to engage in a dialogue about journalistic ethics. It is to throw up so much chaff into the media’s radar that even the most basic critique is deprived of meaning,” huffed the professor.

I’m so old, I can remember when leftists approved of deconstructionism.

17 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

Crazy how much rancor we have in our politics.

It’s so bad.

I wonder if we revert back to the mean at some point or if politics is irretrievably lost in this beastly, meaningless, partisan, place.

17 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

I think it's too far gone at this point.

Eh, this is still tame compared to politics in the 1820's and 1830's.

The New Moralists Take Over Journalism

by Christine Rosen

Original Article

The New York Times op-ed page has featured contributions from Vladimir Putin, pedophiles, and the Taliban without a peep from the paper’s staff, so it might seem odd that an opinion piece by Senator Tom Cotton was the one that would spur a professional revolt.

But Cotton’s op-ed argued for using the American military to help local police quell violent unrest in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. In the eyes of hundreds of Times staffers, that view—shared, according to one poll, by 3 in 5 Americans—could not be permitted.

Just now, Koko78 said:

Eh, this is still tame compared to politics in the 1820's and 1830's.

I think you're off by a century.  Those battles were the growing pains of the new republic and there was little foreign influence.    I think a more appropriate time frame is Post-WWI era when Stalin started seeding communist sympathizers across the west. 

5 minutes ago, GG said:

I think you're off by a century.  Those battles were the growing pains of the new republic and there was little foreign influence.    I think a more appropriate time frame is Post-WWI era when Stalin started seeding communist sympathizers across the west. 

I would disagree. The question was about "rancor" in current politics - not about who was behind it.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

I would disagree. The question was about "rancor" in current politics - not about who was behind it.

Then I'd say the first decade of the Republic was worse.   How many times have the Veep & Treasury faced off in a duel?

26 minutes ago, GG said:

Then I'd say the first decade of the Republic was worse.   How many times have the Veep & Treasury faced off in a duel?

24 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Sometimes, I think we'd be better off if that was still a thing.

Pence seems like he'd be quick on the draw. Mnuchin wouldn't have a chance.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Koko78 said:

Pence seems like he'd be quick on the draw. Mnuchin wouldn't have a chance.

Indiana country boy vs Hollywood producer?  Sucky odds.

A judge on Tuesday granted Robert Trump a temporary restraining order halting the publication of Mary Trump’s upcoming tell-all, Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man.

The injunction marks the first, tentative win for President Donald Trump’s younger brother in his war to stop the publication of his niece’s memoir, which The Daily Beast revealed earlier this month would contain allegations embarrassing to the First Family. The Trump siblings have maintained that the book, to be published by Simon & Schuster, violates the confidentiality clause that Mary Trump signed off on in the settlement of family patriarch Fred Trump Sr.’s estate.

IF THIS KIND OF VIOLENCE WERE HAPPENING AT RIGHT-WING PROTESTS, IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE PRESS,

INSTEAD OF — DELIBERATELY — BURIED: 

Gunman shot driver, then hid weapon and continued to protest, Provo police say.

The victim was driving a white SUV on University Avenue and was attempting to turn onto Center Street when a group of protestors began “crowding around the vehicle. A male protester ran to the SUV on the passenger side, pointed a handgun at (the) driver and shot one round through the window,” according to a a synopsis of the incident by Provo Deputy Police Chief John Guyerman.

The driver, who was struck by a bullet, “hit the gas trying to leave the situation,” Guyerman said.

CNN headline, probably: Right Wing Extremist Runs Over Crowd of Mostly Peaceful Protesters.

Plus:

As the SUV is speeding away, the gunman ran after the vehicle and fired a second round that went through the rear passenger window, according to police.

After the shooting, video shows the gunman then “conceals the firearm and continues to protest,” Guyerman said. “This same protester later approached another vehicle at 500 North and University Avenue, striking and breaking the window with the handgun.”

Like I said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

IF THIS KIND OF VIOLENCE WERE HAPPENING AT RIGHT-WING PROTESTS, IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE PRESS,

INSTEAD OF — DELIBERATELY — BURIED: 

Gunman shot driver, then hid weapon and continued to protest, Provo police say.

The victim was driving a white SUV on University Avenue and was attempting to turn onto Center Street when a group of protestors began “crowding around the vehicle. A male protester ran to the SUV on the passenger side, pointed a handgun at (the) driver and shot one round through the window,” according to a a synopsis of the incident by Provo Deputy Police Chief John Guyerman.

The driver, who was struck by a bullet, “hit the gas trying to leave the situation,” Guyerman said.

CNN headline, probably: Right Wing Extremist Runs Over Crowd of Mostly Peaceful Protesters.

Plus:

As the SUV is speeding away, the gunman ran after the vehicle and fired a second round that went through the rear passenger window, according to police.

After the shooting, video shows the gunman then “conceals the firearm and continues to protest,” Guyerman said. “This same protester later approached another vehicle at 500 North and University Avenue, striking and breaking the window with the handgun.”

THIS JUST IN FROM THE HOUSE OF STEPHANOPOULOS: 

Going to National Parks Is Racist, Declares ABC News.

“Dear Libs: You aren’t going to shame Americans into accepting collective responsibility for crimes they didn’t commit.

You’re just going to alienate them, and they’re not going to listen to you when there are real problems to solve.

I guess you want a Trump landslide in November, huh?”

15 hours ago, B-Man said:

THIS JUST IN FROM THE HOUSE OF STEPHANOPOULOS: 

Going to National Parks Is Racist, Declares ABC News.

“Dear Libs: You aren’t going to shame Americans into accepting collective responsibility for crimes they didn’t commit.

You’re just going to alienate them, and they’re not going to listen to you when there are real problems to solve.

I guess you want a Trump landslide in November, huh?”

Are state parks still not racist?

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

I am sure that was written long before the actual speech.  

Funny how everyone ran with the same headlines this morning. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I am sure that was written long before the actual speech.  

...fortunately, prominent African American Civil Rights attorney Leo Terrell, eloquently chimed in to the contrary....and he is a staunch Democrat....so AOL or Huff-N-Puff Post vs Leo?....he is historically pretty outspoken, yet it is surprising and refreshing to see him continually say he is "embarrassed to be a Democrat" lately........

• Like (+1) 2