The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

2 hours ago, Hedge said:

I verified that this does happen. Now, I don't know Polish, so *maybe* there are some fine translation related points not understood, but...

It is a colloquial verb that can mean anything from doesn't matter (okay) to it is bad for you (to harm).  Real meaning of szkodzić (injure).

Google has  szkodzi  meaning harms. The okay for Clinton and Obama is much more interesting than the harms for Trump.

The lower case word trump is atut.  Translating 'trump is harmful' to Polish is atut jest szkodliwy (jest = is,  szkodliwy (adjective) = harmful)

This translator has:

Trump szkodzi = Trump is harming
Obama szkodzi = Obama hurts
Clinton szkodzi = Clinton is bad

All negatives.

I hope someone who is fluent in Polish chimes in because Polish colloquialisms can be weird. For instance my g-grandmothers just slapped a ska onto anything that was not a word when they left Poland -  like purse they made purska (portmonetka), televisionska (telewizja), etc. Heck, we know better and we do not use babcia for grandmother, we use babcie (which is a plural... for one person?)  Make it up as you go along was my family's Polish language motto!

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 2

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF: 

Idiots at USA Today Apparently Ignorant of the American Eagle. 

“Before we delve into this lunacy about the eagle in question, it should be noted that USA Today is the CNN of newspapers.

Just as CNN would have no audience whatsoever if it weren’t being broadcast to people stuck in airport terminals, USA Today wouldn’t have any readership if it weren’t being given away for free in hotels all over the country.

Honestly, I rarely read it when I’m on the road and it’s delivered to my hotel room door every weekday.”

YEAH, AND I HEAR TRUMP DRINKS WATER. DO YOU KNOW WHO ELSE DRANK WATER? THAT’S RIGHT, HITLER: 

Signs A Trump Win Could Lead To Fascism According to Washington Post.

… Meanwhile Biden’s team, aka Bernie’s loyalists more or less openly want to dismantle capitalism and have the government control the economy. 

Because tyranny is freedom, oppression is liberty and….  And I think I might vomit if I go on.

This is bizarre. The Mercury dome which the Roosevelt dime replaced has a fascist symbol on the reverse side. 

US0010-Mercury-Dime-Example-Unc-lg-56a17

That’s a fasces the symbol of the Roman Senate of SPQR “the Senate and the Roman people - Senatus Populusque Romanus.”

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

All is happening in accordance with the prophecy:

babylon_bee_predicted_ny_times_meltdown_

Her resignation letter is  ? ? ?

</snip>

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong. 

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Her resignation letter is  ? ? ?

</snip>

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong. 

</snip>

Since I firmly believe brevity is the soul of wit, let me TL;DR that.

The New York Times is an enemy of the people.

• Thank you (+1) 3

WOW! Look at the organization on that binder. :worthy:

The "absurd" and the "lies" categories should take up ¾ of that binder.

It is her binder, if she wants to misspell anything she can. And whining about no "q" on LGBT? These people go are definitely part of the perpetually aggrieved.

• Like (+1) 1

According to CNN it was 6% more yesterday.

Vox Media preparing round of layoffs as business fails to improve amid coronavirus pandemic

* Vox Media has informed its unions that it plans to cut jobs as advertising revenue has slumped in the first and second quarters.
* Vox Media is preparing staff cuts to both unionized and non-union workers.
* Vox was 40% off its revenue forecast for the second quarter and plans to miss its full-year target by 25%

</snip>

Vox furloughed about 100 employees in April, or 9% of its staff, until July 31 as Covid-19 affected advertising budgets.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

According to CNN it was 6% more yesterday.

Vox Media preparing round of layoffs as business fails to improve amid coronavirus pandemic

* Vox Media has informed its unions that it plans to cut jobs as advertising revenue has slumped in the first and second quarters.
* Vox Media is preparing staff cuts to both unionized and non-union workers.
* Vox was 40% off its revenue forecast for the second quarter and plans to miss its full-year target by 25%

</snip>

Vox furloughed about 100 employees in April, or 9% of its staff, until July 31 as Covid-19 affected advertising budgets.

</snip>

Well, they can just learn to code, or become farmers. 

Fake News Becomes a Way of Life

by Michael Brendan Dougherty

Original Article

In December 2016, Ben Smith, then BuzzFeed’s editor-in-chief, wrote a memo to his staff that was meant to be a kind of charter for the dawning of the Trump Era. In truth it spoke to and aimed to speak for the entire mainstream media. Smith would eventually move on to the New York Times, which elevated him to a role as the supervisory voice of conscience for the whole media. 

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Fake News Becomes a Way of Life

by Michael Brendan Dougherty

Original Article

In December 2016, Ben Smith, then BuzzFeed’s editor-in-chief, wrote a memo to his staff that was meant to be a kind of charter for the dawning of the Trump Era. In truth it spoke to and aimed to speak for the entire mainstream media. Smith would eventually move on to the New York Times, which elevated him to a role as the supervisory voice of conscience for the whole media. 

And the fake president has too

11 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

I'm going out on a limb and just guessing here, but I see nearly nothing in the lame stream

media on the Chrissy Wallace - Trump interview....Trump must have done well.

• Like (+1) 1