The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

9 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Greenawald is a legitimate journalist I actually respect. But taibbi has been pushing agendas to silence the right for 15 years...and now he's concerned?

Too late Matt.

I disagree that it's too late. This is good vs evil. The evil will never quit. They will eventually come after everyone and anyone. No matter how woke or progressive or liberal you think you are, it eventually will not be enough and they will turn on you. Who are people like Matt and Glenn going to align themselves with then? I think they are actually fairly early in calling it out and would rather have more legit voices doing good work than less. They could also be a stronger voice in that they will reach more people and be taken seriously by a different group of people. This isn't going to be an easy war and the more that you have on the side of good the better in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trump’s a really great guy, smart, accomplished and a real doer! It’s the media that just shows him in a bad light 

Trump doesn't need the media to show him in a bad light.  He does that all by himself every time he tweets.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is excellent.  

I would point out the fact that he credits “Lacy” for accepting Fang’s forced public apology.  She should be credited for mischaracterizing another’s body of work, setting the mob upon him for asking difficult questions?  It sounds to me like she’s in the wrong profession.

I would also point to the part where he spoke of journalists reporting inaccurately on the Clinton campaign in an effort to assist her, followed up by his assertion that they actually hurt her campaign, as evidence that the “free press” is nothing of the sort.  Transplant uses his infamous weatherman analogy on occasion here, and misses the much larger point:  a journalist trying to help a candidate is deliberate attempting to hurt another.  Tiabbi misses a crucial point here, at least as it relates to the profession of the journalist:   It should never be about helping or hurting a candidate, except on the Op-Ed page.  Or, perhaps I missed that and am too lazy to read it again.

I mentioned a while back about a radio interview I heard with a local reporter (Albany) who covered NY politics.  The reporter offered up how it was common knowledge that former AG Schneiderman had a penchant for cocaine.  I was waiting for the follow up question:  “What did you find when you investigated one of the highest ranking law enforcement officials in the country with a reputation as a hard ass for illicit drug use?”.  Of course, that question never came whic is infuriating to me. 

Those issues aside, I feel like I could have an intelligent conversation with this guy about the media, the attempt to destroy Trump, and the collapse of faith of the public in what passed today for journalism.  He’s about 15 years behind me, and I’m far behind others, but there is common ground here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Trump doesn't need the media to show him in a bad light.  He does that all by himself every time he tweets.

That’s a different argument, and an argument made by the voting bloc all the time.  It’s part of the process.  

Much of what’s reported as fact is inaccurately portrayed, incorrectly nuanced, and designed to shape the world in certain way by influencing the voting bloc.   In other words, the notion of a free and independent press is an illusion. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Which makes it all the more hilarious when the media provably lies about something he said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Which makes it all the more hilarious when the media provably lies about something he said.

Oh, you mean, like the mainstream media pointing out Trump's lies?

44 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Oh, you mean, like the mainstream media pointing out Trump's lies?

Yeah, that's totally what I mean. I certainly was not talking about them intentionally lying about things like Trump's "fine people" comment, or lying about Trump saying that George Floyd would have approved of the job numbers report.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

New York Times Publishes Op-Ed Of Apparent Terrorist Supporter Who Calls For Abolishing ‘Prisons And Police’

by Staff

Original Article

The New York Times has published an op-ed from a far-left activist that was a fellow at George Soros’ Open Society Foundation and who is an apparent terrorist supporter, which comes just a week after the newspaper said that it should not have published an op-ed from Republican Senator Tom Cotton (AK) that espoused a political view that the majority of Americans support.The op-ed was written by Mariame Kaba, who, according to a website that is in her name and a blog that she purportedly runs, is an apparent supporter of Assata Shakur – who is on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist list.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

New York Times Publishes Op-Ed Of Apparent Terrorist Supporter Who Calls For Abolishing ‘Prisons And Police’

by Staff

Original Article

The New York Times has published an op-ed from a far-left activist that was a fellow at George Soros’ Open Society Foundation and who is an apparent terrorist supporter, which comes just a week after the newspaper said that it should not have published an op-ed from Republican Senator Tom Cotton (AK) that espoused a political view that the majority of Americans support.The op-ed was written by Mariame Kaba, who, according to a website that is in her name and a blog that she purportedly runs, is an apparent supporter of Assata Shakur – who is on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist list.

The FBI doesn't have enough active terrorists for their list that they have to list one who was last active almost fifty years ago?  Assata Shakur is a 73-year-old former BLA member who was convicted as an accomplice in the killing of a NJ state trooper in a shoot out in 1973.  She escaped from prison and was given political asylum in Cuba in 1984, where she has been ever since.

42 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The FBI doesn't have enough active terrorists for their list that they have to list one who was last active almost fifty years ago?  Assata Shakur is a 73-year-old former BLA member who was convicted as an accomplice in the killing of a NJ state trooper in a shoot out in 1973.  She escaped from prison and was given political asylum in Cuba in 1984, where she has been ever since.

What are you actually saying? Should her status change from an escaped murder accomplice to something different? Has she paid her debt to society? 

MATT TAIBBI: The American Press Is Destroying Itself: A flurry of newsroom revolts has transformed the American press.

It feels liberating to say after years of tiptoeing around the fact, but the American left has lost its mind.

It’s become a cowardly mob of upper-class social media addicts, Twitter Robespierres who move from discipline to discipline torching reputations and jobs with breathtaking casualness.

The leaders of this new movement are replacing traditional liberal beliefs about tolerance, free inquiry, and even racial harmony with ideas so toxic and unattractive that they eschew debate, moving straight to shaming, threats, and intimidation. They are counting on the guilt-ridden, self-flagellating nature of traditional American progressives, who will not stand up for themselves, and will walk to the Razor voluntarily.

They’ve conned organization after organization into empowering panels to search out thoughtcrime, and it’s established now that anything can be an offense, from a UCLA professor placed under investigation for reading Martin Luther King’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” out loud to a data scientist fired* from a research firm for — get this — retweeting an academic study suggesting nonviolent protests may be more politically effective than violent ones!

Now, this madness is coming for journalism. Beginning on Friday, June 5th, a series of controversies rocked the media. By my count, at least eight news organizations dealt with internal uprisings (it was likely more). Most involved groups of reporters and staffers demanding the firing or reprimand of colleagues who’d made politically “problematic” editorial or social media decisions. . . . Each passing day sees more scenes that recall something closer to cult religion than politics.

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make crazy. But crazy people can still be dangerous, to themselves and others.

Plus: “Today no one with a salary will stand up for colleagues like Lee Fang. Our brave truth-tellers make great shows of shaking fists at our parody president, but not one of them will talk honestly about the fear running through their own newsrooms.

People depend on us to tell them what we see, not what we think. What good are we if we’re afraid to do it?”

So a decade or more ago when bloggers were telling you that you couldn’t trust the press to tell the truth, we were considered paranoid and unfair.

Turns out we were just ahead of the curve.

Related: Roger Simon: A New Silent Majority Is Coming. 

“Led by a media that is at once delusional and cynical—an eye-rolling combination—America is in the throes of a national madness.”

88Pos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

What are you actually saying? Should her status change from an escaped murder accomplice to something different? Has she paid her debt to society? 

I'm saying that the FBI might better use its resources concentrating on hunting terrorists who have actually been active in this century -- I'm sure there are considerably more than just 9 -- rather than pretending that an old woman whose terrorist activity ended 47 years ago, presents the same threat that younger active terrorists whose whereabouts are unknown.

I'm saying that the FBI might better use its resources concentrating on hunting terrorists who have actually been active in this century -- I'm sure there are considerably more than just 9 -- rather than pretending that an old woman whose terrorist activity ended 47 years ago, presents the same threat that younger active terrorists whose whereabouts are unknown.

She's a an escaped murderer who deserves to be punished. There's no statute of limitations. Do you need to be critical of everything the Trump administration does?

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Are you really under the impression that the FBI/USIC isn't actively doing this? I mean, the ones who weren't busy using its considerable resources to spy on its political opposition in an attempt to undermine an election... 

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Are you really under the impression that the FBI/USIC isn't actively doing this? I mean, the ones who weren't busy using its considerable resources to spy on its political opposition in an attempt to undermine an election... 

Please, we all know that an agency employing tens of thousands of people can only do one thing at a time.

• Haha (+1) 2

More leftist hypocrisy - this time from the Melbourne Age:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/trump-rally-a-dangerous-move-as-coronavirus-cases-spike-in-us-20200615-p552ke.html

Funny, that despite a clear directive from the Victorian state government (Melbourne is the capital) to not gather in crowds of more than 50 people, there was a BLM protest with over 25,000 people in attendance in the Melbourne CBD last week. But there was not a peep from The Age that this was "a dangerous move". They actually endorsed the mass protest.

And yet, 19,000 people attending a Trump rally in Tulsa is suddenly "a dangerous move". Hypocrisy writ large.

If it's any consolation (yes, I know it's not) - lefty lunacy is just as migraine-inducing down under as it is in the US.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1