The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... For all those people who have said Trump should just address the nation, they can't stop him... 

THINK ABOUT WHAT SHE IS SAYING. No other president in history would be denied coverage of an Oval Office address. None. Yet Trump requests time and they have to "decide"? 

They think you're too stupid to see the actual game being played. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/18/us/president-in-prime-time-is-spurned-by-2-networks.html?module=inline

Just saying...it aint none! He was even a Democrat!!!!!

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

That's not an address from the Oval. That was a press conference which they decide not to cover all the time. An address from the Oval has never been denied.

But more to the point, isn't this outrageous to you?

What journalist believes it provides zero benefit to show their audience the full context and information BEFORE they editorialize about its meaning? That's blatant gatekeeping and the opposite of what journalists are supposed to do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's not an address from the Oval. That was a press conference which they decide not to cover all the time. An address from the Oval has never been denied.

you say tomato...called for the same reasons with the same strategy...only diffrence is Clinton had the stones to take questions..Trump wants to hide and shy away from questions

Edited by plenzmd1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

you say tomato...called for the same reasons with the same strategy...

It's night and day from every perspective. Addresses from the Oval have historically carried major weight. Not covering a press conference (in the Rose Garden) is not the same as denying POTUS the chance to address the nation from the Oval. 

The people own the airwaves the networks broadcast on, after all. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

It's night and day from every perspective. Addresses from the Oval have historically carried major weight. Not covering a press conference (in the Rose Garden) is not the same as denying POTUS the chance to address the nation from the Oval. 

The people own the airwaves the networks broadcast on, after all. 

i did edit my post above..if Trump let reporters in and allowed questions.. I am sure no debate on who carries it.

Lord, you know as well as I if Trump can have national airtime and not have to answer questions...it will never end. 2020 would be unbearable with the amount of Oval Office talks we would have. He loves twitter..do a periscope..a facetime live..it on CNN and Fox News..

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

i did edit my post above..if Trump let reporters in and allowed questions.. I am sure no debate on who carries it.

Lord, you know as well as I if Trump can have national airtime and not have to answer questions...it will never end. 2020 would be unbearable with the amount of Oval Office talks we would have. He loves twitter..do a periscope..a facetime live..it on CNN and Fox News..

You're missing the distinction, and it's important. 

Presidential addresses from the Oval offices are NEVER press conferences or Q&As and they're always covered - because that setting comes with weight. Think of the speeches given in history from behind that desk, they're reserved for declarations of war, national emergencies, and other such matters of great national import. A press conference is not the same thing. 

Denying coverage of an Oval Office address has never even been considered before, let alone done. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

But more to the point, isn't this outrageous to you?

What journalist believes it provides zero benefit to show their audience the full context and information BEFORE they editorialize about its meaning? That's blatant gatekeeping and the opposite of what journalists are supposed to do.

i agree partially...problem here is Trump cannot tell the truth, about anything. I am all for airing it live with live fact checkers on the scroll at the bottom..you okay with that?

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

i agree partially...problem here is Trump cannot tell the truth, about anything. I am all for airing it live with live fact checkers on the scroll at the bottom..you okay with that?

That's not what they're pushing though. They're pushing to deny people seeing the speech in its entirety until AFTER they see it and determine what they wish to say about it. 

That's a Ministry of Truth, not journalism. 

And it's not little journalists pushing this idea, it's major establishment talking heads. Pushing for media controlled propaganda rather than actual journalism. Don't mistake me, this is what they've done in practice for decades, but they've had the decency to lie about it in the past. Now they're being forced to be open about their deception. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

YThink of the speeches given in history from behind that desk, they're reserved for declarations of war, national emergencies, and other such matters of great national import. A press conference is not the same thing. 

Denying coverage of an Oval Office address has never even been considered before, let alone done. 

Here is where we agree/disagree. Trump says the immigration issue this is a national emergency...which apparently it was not before his base exploded two weeks ago...

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Here is where we agree/disagree. Trump says the immigration issue this is a national emergency...which apparently it was not before his base exploded two weeks ago...

It's trafficking. That's the emergency, not immigration. 

Immigration is a problem and a campaign issue. It's a threat too, if left unchecked. But trafficking is the true threat and target of the wall and the EO he will likely order.

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Immigration is a problem and a campaign issue. It's a threat too, if left unchecked. But trafficking is the true threat and target of the wall and the EO he will likely order.

I often wonder if the leftists pushing this open borders agenda and clamoring for people with children to be let into the country understand that they are encouraging human trafficking and child exploitation.

I sincerely hope they don't know any better, because political bias is human, but sacrificing children for the sake of political posturing is evil.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

then it should have been an emergency or of great national import before the shutdown, which it was not. And certainly was not important to him when he agreed to the spending resolution, then did a 180 cause the folks on Fox and Rush went nuts. Call a spade a spade a spade here..i don't think this became a demonstrably different "emergency" in the last two weeks.

He wants free, unobstructed, non challenged airtime....for something that he himself did not see as an emergency two weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

One would think that you would, at the very least, listen to the President's arguments first, before dismissing them.

I do believe the man uses other forms of communication, one might even say he is an expert at it. And the problem with listening to his arguments(of which i do) is the need to deconstruct every sentence to understand that which was factually correct, that which is an exaggeration to help his argument, and that which is just flat out lies and misrepresentations. 

5 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I often wonder if the leftists pushing this open borders agenda and clamoring for people with children to be let into the country understand that they are encouraging human trafficking and child exploitation.

I sincerely hope they don't know any better, because political bias is human, but sacrificing children for the sake of political posturing is evil.

you know this battle has nothing to do with a wall or open borders..it has to do with each side going to battle for their base. Trump to appease the right wing of the party, Pelosi to appease the never Trump folks..no difference really. 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

then it should have been an emergency or of great national import before the shutdown, which it was not. And certainly was not important to him when he agreed to the spending resolution, then did a 180 cause the folks on Fox and Rush went nuts. Call a spade a spade a spade here..i don't think this became a demonstrably different "emergency" in the last two weeks.

Disagree. There have been more trafficking arrests under Trump's administration than all 8 years of the past president. That's not a mistake or an accident. It's an issue he personally cares deeply about. He's also put it at the forefront of the conversation every time this topic is brought up - yet it's rarely covered as anything more than "scare tactics" by the media.

The amount of trafficking that goes on, which politicians in DC directly profit from, is staggering.

Disagree. There have been more trafficking arrests under Trump's administration than all 8 years of the past president. That's not a mistake or an accident. It's an issue he personally cares deeply about. He's also put it at the forefront of the conversation every time this topic is brought up - yet it's rarely covered as anything more than "scare tactics" by the media.

The amount of trafficking that goes on, which politicians in DC directly profit from, is staggering.

I will take your figures at face value ..and i have never said I don't believe it is not an important issue. I said I believe Trump did not find it an issue rising to an Oval Office address until the gov shutdown...as he demonstrated when he signaled and Sanders tweeted, he would sign the spending resolution with the $1.8B until his girl Ingraham and her crew  went nuts.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you know this battle has nothing to do with a wall or open borders..it has to do with each side going to battle for their base. Trump to appease the right wing of the party, Pelosi to appease the never Trump folks..no difference really. 

I don't believe this is true at all. People on the right genuinely want a wall. It was one of President Trump's biggest campaign issues. For the right this is a legitimate issue.

For the Dems this is purely political, which is evident by their utter inability to formulate any coherent reasoning behind their decision to dig in and fight as though their lives depended on it. The average Democrat doesn't really oppose this, ot at least didn't until they were told they do.

This is not a "both sides" situation. One side is fighting for something they want, the other is fighting for the sake of keeping them from getting it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is a legit conversation now... 

The solution they're offering is to cut up, editorialize, and make soundbytes of the speech rather than letting the viewers see it for themselves first. That's Orwellian and should alarm everyone regardless of your partisan leanings. 

They think you're stupid.

Did they have to put it on delay to fact check it Bill Clinton really "did not have sexual relations with that woman Miss Lewinsky"?

Or if there were really "no boots on the ground" in Afganistan when Obama repeatedly said so? 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

A) Come on... I already disproved your "fact checkers" pages ago. Open your mind and stop with the hyperbole. 

2) It is the Oval Office. These gatekeepers really are ridiculous - like no one will report on it on other networks because they will not!?

iii) They can't keep what he says a secret. What in the world do they think the State of the Union address is going to be about?

• Like (+1) 1