The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

For as long as I can remember (which is about 20 years +/-) we've lived in "critical times." Every election is the most important election of our lifetimes, until the next one, as if the difference between Bush/Kerry or McCain/Obama is the difference between glory and ruin. 

At the moment, there are fewer serious & eminent concerns facing us than at possibly any time in our history. Whoever is President may be less important now than ever. But many many people are miserable and feel like they're living through a nightmare because they're upset about who the President is. Not so much for what he's doing, but who he is.

We're both viewers of and participants in a bizarre cultural soap opera where the viewing public is thrown to passions over relatively trivial matters. Stories about visiting a war memorial or signing memorabilia for soldiers has led the national news in recent weeks. The issues don't really matter all that much, the drama does. 

We're now at a point where Republicans are pushing for trade tariffs and Democrats are pushing for war in the middle east to protect oil markets. Exactly opposite of where they stood during the 2004 election when those were the key issues upon which the fate of the world hinged. 

There is no objective reasoning at the heart of any of this. It's all based on learned moralism. The state of the culture is far more concerning at this point than who is the President. That will be far more consequential in the long run.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, they're sure playing trump by removing physical barriers and mines from the DMZ, and not testing weapons for their own domestic consumption. Boy howdy, Kimmy sure got us fooled. By doing stuff. That Best Korea has never done before. We're all suckers.

Interesting that you say the economy is growing slower than under Obama. Gee, you think that might just have something to do with the Fed jacking up interests rates to intentionally slow economic growth?

You do realize that the 'tax cuts' aren't really what's driving the economic growth, right? You might want to look at how many business-stifling regulations have been eliminated over the past two years, reducing the cost of doing business.

You do understand that was a Jeopardy reference, right?

You're really bad at this.

Oh look! Another stereotype! 

Lol, I’m bad at this.....your entire cult using the exact same comebacks. Weak! 

4 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, they're sure playing trump by removing physical barriers and mines from the DMZ, and not testing weapons for their own domestic consumption. Boy howdy, Kimmy sure got us fooled. By doing stuff. That Best Korea has never done before. We're all suckers.

Interesting that you say the economy is growing slower than under Obama. Gee, you think that might just have something to do with the Fed jacking up interests rates to intentionally slow economic growth?

You do realize that the 'tax cuts' aren't really what's driving the economic growth, right? You might want to look at how many business-stifling regulations have been eliminated over the past two years, reducing the cost of doing business.

You do understand that was a Jeopardy reference, right?

You're really bad at this.

You'll never win a Republican primary.

4 hours ago, Swill Merchant said:

For as long as I can remember (which is about 20 years +/-) we've lived in "critical times." Every election is the most important election of our lifetimes, until the next one, as if the difference between Bush/Kerry or McCain/Obama is the difference between glory and ruin. 

At the moment, there are fewer serious & eminent concerns facing us than at possibly any time in our history. Whoever is President may be less important now than ever. But many many people are miserable and feel like they're living through a nightmare because they're upset about who the President is. Not so much for what he's doing, but who he is.

We're both viewers of and participants in a bizarre cultural soap opera where the viewing public is thrown to passions over relatively trivial matters. Stories about visiting a war memorial or signing memorabilia for soldiers has led the national news in recent weeks. The issues don't really matter all that much, the drama does. 

We're now at a point where Republicans are pushing for trade tariffs and Democrats are pushing for war in the middle east to protect oil markets. Exactly opposite of where they stood during the 2004 election when those were the key issues upon which the fate of the world hinged. 

There is no objective reasoning at the heart of any of this. It's all based on learned moralism. The state of the culture is far more concerning at this point than who is the President. That will be far more consequential in the long run.

That's a good post.  You can largely thank the media for that.  I just wanted one of the major cable networks to show the study where more Americans think the press has does more to create division than Trump. 

The media is great at exaggerating how polarized we really are leading to an increased perception that we're more polarized often by highlighting the radical extremes of each party as if it was the norm.  That leads many people to hate the other side to the point we can't even have a healthy debate on the issues anymore and are willing to moderate their views to fit with "their team" even if they're a 180 from what we thought in 2015 compared to 2018.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BigMcD said:

Lol, look at every roster of the Stanley Cup winners and tell me where most of the players are from? 

So what you're saying is even Canadian hockey players would rather live in America and play for a winner?

Can't say I blame them. Must be hard to live in a country where everyone elected the Village People as prime minister.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

So what you're saying is even Canadian hockey players would rather live in America and play for a winner?

Can't say I blame them. Must be hard to live in a country where everyone elected the Village People as prime minister.

I'm just trying to figure out if every Mountee has a Mounter.

#JOURNALISM: 

“Let’s [talk] about a major source of media bias that often gets overlooked: Where reporters get their stories.

Truth is that reporters often get their stories from activists.

The problem is that many mainstream reporters mostly associate with and follow activists on the left. . . .

That creates a major source of media bias that is almost impossible to evaluate or quantify. Left-wing activists regularly get their campaigns and preferred stories highlighted in the mainstream press, which gives them more credibility. Rarely happens the other way.”

Glad to see I am the focus of all you douche dicklickers! 

Thank you for doing what you all say you won’t do! 

?????????????????????????????

You love me! 

You really love me!

You have given me the drive to carry on! It’s worth it!

I love you all! 

11 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Players are drafted in the NHL dorkstick!  

The NHL would suck if it had to rely on 2nd rate Americans. 

Edited by BigMcD