The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

All you guys complaining about what Trump says disregard what he does. Obama talkedshit and performed likeshit. Trump talkshit but performs well. For only two years in office Trump has an impressive record of marking accomplishments off of his "to do list". You guys worry about orange hair and little peccadillos, I'll judge Trump on SCOTUS, trade policy, the economy, foreign affairs, immigration and as a Commander-in-Chief. Trump may sound like P.T. Barnum but he gets the trains to run on time. All you little tutu wearing snowflakes should be embarrassed for your histrionics.

The thread is about Trump's portrayal in the media..yall cry about it all the time like Brady calling for flag..dare i say like snowflakes?

In terms of the content of your post..i dont see any successes there.

Trade Policy is a mess- just cause Trump states something does not make it so...prolly means the opposite with his constant stream of lies. Do you think there is a reason we needed emergency bailout funds for farmers? 

The Economy-Temporary bump from ill-advised tax cuts..GDP growth right back at levels of Obama era, or lower, --but huge increase to deficit... market showing what it thinks the economy will be in 12-18 months

Foreign Affairs--Worse off with our allies  North Korea playing Trump like a fiddle, China no different, Russia no different... I will give him credit for pulling the troops out of Syria

Immigration- ???  Explain how things have changed dramatically

Scotus- he appointed a conservative judge(s)..as any Republican President would have done. Wow..such an achievement!!! Is he the first Republican president to get a conservative appointed to the Supreme court?

And I just have no clue how yall just excuse his constant, never-ending lying. You tell me when i should believe him and trust him? 

@Deranged Rhino rails on here how the government has been lying to us for years, and yet when Trump does it somehow we should just tsk tsk him and move on

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The thread is about Trump's portrayal in the media..yall cry about it all the time like Brady calling for flag..dare i say like snowflakes?

In terms of the content of your post..i dont see any successes there.

Trade Policy is a mess- just cause Trump states something does not make it so...prolly means the opposite with his constant stream of lies. Do you think there is a reason we needed emergency bailout funds for farmers? 

The Economy-Temporary bump from ill-advised tax cuts..GDP growth right back at levels of Obama era, or lower, --but huge increase to deficit... market showing what it thinks the economy will be in 12-18 months

Foreign Affairs--Worse off with our allies  North Korea playing Trump like a fiddle, China no different, Russia no different... I will give him credit for pulling the troops out of Syria

Immigration- ???  Explain how things have changed dramatically

Scotus- he appointed a conservative judge(s)..as any Republican President would have done. Wow..such an achievement!!! Is he the first Republican president to get a conservative appointed to the Supreme court?

And I just have no clue how yall just excuse his constant, never-ending lying. You tell me when i should believe him and trust him? 

@Deranged Rhino rails on here how the government has been lying to us for years, and yet when Trump does it somehow we should just tsk tsk him and move on

Are you saying that the media treats Trump fairly? Can you not see far enough ahead to understand that new policies can cause bumps in the road temporarily?

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Are you saying that the media treats Trump fairly? Can you not see far enough ahead to understand that new policies can cause bumps in the road temporarily?

I am saying Trump gets an awful lot of what he deserves in the media. You can not constantly tell mistruths, treat people like scum, abandon all sense of the decorum the office of POTUS demands..and expect to get praised. He reaps what he sows..words matter! 

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am saying Trump gets an awful lot of what he deserves in the media. You can not constantly tell mistruths, treat people like scum, abandon all sense of the decorum the office of POTUS demands..and expect to get praised. He reaps what he sows..words matter! 

Yes, everyone "deserves" 93% negative stories in the press, especially the President of the United States. ?

• Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Who has he treated like scum? 

Trump is who he always has been. He's always been a loudmouth with a quick punchline or jab. He's always been a salesman who talks bigger than reality, often getting in his own way. This was known before he announced in 2015 and has not changed. 

What's changed is how he's covered by the media. The media used to be able to discern between his jabs, jokes, and actual statements with ease - especially when he was the darling of NBC Universal. They used to laugh off the obvious jokes, jokes and personality which made him a cultural icon for better or worse over many decades prior to getting involved in politics. And if the media were still applying that same standard to him today, I'd have no complaints as he does get in his own way when he goes off the cuff. 

But because Trump was a threat to the establishment on both sides of the aisle, the coverage of him changed. Now, everything he says is an outrage. The ability to discern joke from real talk has all but vanished. Even THAT would be fine (you could argue as POTUS he should change his tone) - but it wasn't enough for the media. They took it further by parsing his already stilted language, editing specific sound-bytes which completely mischaracterize what he's said to paint the worst possible picture. 

That's not honest coverage. It's dishonest. And unlike other presidential administrations, it's done by both sides of the establishment MSM because he is a threat to their power structure. 

Trump tried to play along when after he won, expecting the campaign heat to cool. But it got worse, with some in the establishment media contributing directly to the palace coup attempt with the Russia Collusion nonsense. So he said, ***** playing nice and went back to being the counter puncher he always has been - for better or worse. 

The good news is that most Americans, unlike the establishment media, still can discern the difference between his jokes and jabs and real talk when given the chance. That's why watching his speeches in full (even campaign ones), or press conferences in full - rather than just the media curated bits of those, often paints a completely different picture of the man than the media wants us to see. 

Is he eloquent? Nope. Does he misspeak and toot his own horn whenever he can? Yup. Does he spew racist, vile insults at everyone? Nope. Is he Hitler? Nope. 

The "media" is the front line defenses for the establishment. Protecting their interests at the expense of the people's. That's the exact opposite of what their mission should be. THAT should outrage people much more than Trump's jokes or rambles. And it does... for those who are willing to step back and honestly assess the coverage. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

What is more funny is that after 8 years of complaining about Obama .....you guys suddenly have no problem with DT

That you're unable to see the individual criticisms of him here by "you guys" speaks more about you than anyone else. Most of "you guys" have been very critical of him on many items, not the least of which is his incessant need to troll the left via Twitter by calling people names like a 12-year-old.

If you were honest with yourself, you'd see it.

But then again, as a devout leftist, independent thought really isn't your bag. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, as it relates to this thread and the media portrayal of Trump...dont you think his constant untruths and twisting of facts and flat out lies inspire the press to paint him in a negative light?

Of course it does, but do you honestly think the media, in general, would treat him better if all he did was speak truth or not exaggerate? They absolutely despise him for (1) taking away Hillary's anointed crown and (2) being unable to recognize and accept the critical role they played in getting him elected (starting with the immense coverage they gave to everything he said in the primaries in hopes he WOULD get the GOP nod so Hillary could wipe the floor with him).

The media, in general, has torched every GOP-anything for years. Trump just plays them for the fools they are via Twitter, so everything seems bigger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yes, everyone "deserves" 93% negative stories in the press, especially the President of the United States. ?

When you tell 95% untruths and throw the country into a state of continual chaos , I would say the press is being kind. 

32 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Of course it does, but do you honestly think the media, in general, would treat him better if all he did was speak truth or not exaggerate? They absolutely despise him for (1) taking away Hillary's anointed crown and (2) being unable to recognize and accept the critical role they played in getting him elected (starting with the immense coverage they gave to everything he said in the primaries in hopes he WOULD get the GOP nod so Hillary could wipe the floor with him).

The media, in general, has torched every GOP-anything for years. Trump just plays them for the fools they are via Twitter, so everything seems bigger.

Absolutely he would be treated better if he acted like the POTUS and not some crazy person who has to tell untruths throughout every stinking day. Who had some sort of decorum.  

Thinking the oress should not continually call him out on lies and lies and half truths is just thinking we should have state media.. 

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

When you tell 95% untruths and throw the country into a state of continual chaos , I would say the press is being kind. 

Absolutely he would be treated better if he acted like the POTUS and not some crazy person who has to tell untruths throughout every stinking day. Who had some sort of decorum.  

Thinking the oress should not continually call him out on lies and lies and half truths is just thinking we should have state media.. 

Do you have proof he lies 95% of the time?

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I'm not sure where you pulled your "95% untruths" from. It sounds more resentful than factual, but feel free to provide a link.

The press should absolutely call him out on his lies. They should call out every president on their lies. Unfortunately, that's not what the press does consistently. Few people told lies like Obama, and yet he was fawned over and protected by the press, who ignored his thin line between imply and infer. Few people launder money and drive corruption like the Clintons, but the press refused to give them the attention they deserved for their misdeeds.

Trump lies. Obama lies. Clintons lie. McCain lied. Bushes lied. THEY ALL LIED. What makes it embarrassing is that the medial almost EXCLUSIVELY goes after GOP.

Or, as the media would put it...if you're a Democrat and you like your lies, you can keep your lies...

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yeah, except neither of those statements reflect reality.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Trump is who he always has been. He's always been a loudmouth with a quick punchline or jab. He's always been a salesman who talks bigger than reality, often getting in his own way. This was known before he announced in 2015 and has not changed. 

What's changed is how he's covered by the media. The media used to be able to discern between his jabs, jokes, and actual statements with ease - especially when he was the darling of NBC Universal. They used to laugh off the obvious jokes, jokes and personality which made him a cultural icon for better or worse over many decades prior to getting involved in politics. And if the media were still applying that same standard to him today, I'd have no complaints as he does get in his own way when he goes off the cuff. 

But because Trump was a threat to the establishment on both sides of the aisle, the coverage of him changed. Now, everything he says is an outrage. The ability to discern joke from real talk has all but vanished. Even THAT would be fine (you could argue as POTUS he should change his tone) - but it wasn't enough for the media. They took it further by parsing his already stilted language, editing specific sound-bytes which completely mischaracterize what he's said to paint the worst possible picture. 

That's not honest coverage. It's dishonest. And unlike other presidential administrations, it's done by both sides of the establishment MSM because he is a threat to their power structure. 

Trump tried to play along when after he won, expecting the campaign heat to cool. But it got worse, with some in the establishment media contributing directly to the palace coup attempt with the Russia Collusion nonsense. So he said, ***** playing nice and went back to being the counter puncher he always has been - for better or worse. 

The good news is that most Americans, unlike the establishment media, still can discern the difference between his jokes and jabs and real talk when given the chance. That's why watching his speeches in full (even campaign ones), or press conferences in full - rather than just the media curated bits of those, often paints a completely different picture of the man than the media wants us to see. 

Is he eloquent? Nope. Does he misspeak and toot his own horn whenever he can? Yup. Does he spew racist, vile insults at everyone? Nope. Is he Hitler? Nope. 

The "media" is the front line defenses for the establishment. Protecting their interests at the expense of the people's. That's the exact opposite of what their mission should be. THAT should outrage people much more than Trump's jokes or rambles. And it does... for those who are willing to step back and honestly assess the coverage. 

lots to reply to here..but just a few points

1) being a reality TV star and the POTUS demands different standards of behaviour, decorum, and truth ..do you not agree to that? Would you not judge the POTUS on a different level than a Jenner? And Mort Downey used to make me laugh, and the nedia laughed at him..i would be aghast if he acted that way as POTUS

2) if you think he wanted to play nice but the rhetoric kept up and so he changed, i strongly disagree..its because h,e, and Spicer and Conway set the stage with e alternative facts narrative on Inauguration Day. When the president and his team can freely admit to "alternative facts" instead of just the truth, you have set the stage for the entire world, including the media to be skeptical of everything you say from there on out. Yall see it as negative, I see lots of it as "is this really the truth?"

3)Everything he says is an outrage cause so much of it is untruthful( prolly greater than 80%), hurtful, unfounded boastfulness and only plays to his base, not the population as a whole.

4) in terms of vile, racist things? Yes, he has spouted those things. Is it all the time? Nope, is it ofetn  no.. But when is the last time the media said something Trump said was racist? Was it when he said racist things? Prolly

5) You and I think different on " the establishment" . You say you hate it due to all the lies..but then dismiss Trump and his lies. Its just non sequitur to me. I think there are extremes in the media on both sides..

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Man, you used “jokes” a lot. Is that your word for lies? Or is he a stand up comic? 

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It's his word for "Canadians."

Lame Tammy! 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

of course i was throwing out a number..so here is this

a little over 10 lies  or mistruths for EVERY SINGLE Day of his presidency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?utm_term=.1cf843ea82db

Cue the “but it’s the Washington Post.” Reply.