The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

The Trump administration stepped in and helped this man.  Buzzfeed seems to be the only "news" site to report on the aftermath (to their credit), and yet I didn't see the words "Trump Administration" anywhere in the post.

A Muslim Man Who Had Faced Deportation To China From Qatar Is Now Headed To The US

</snip>

A Muslim man who had been stuck at an airport in Qatar awaiting deportation to China is now en route to the United States, a spokesperson for the State Department told BuzzFeed News.

Activists scrambled to prevent Ablikim Yusuf's deportation after he posted a viral cellphone video online last week.

</snip>

Yusuf, 53, was originally set to be put on a Qatar Airways flight to Beijing — an outcome that would have put him at risk of detention or internment in China, where upward of a million Muslim minorities have been sent to internment camps in the far west region of Xinjiang, according to estimates.

By Tuesday, news came that he had left Doha's Hamad International Airport and was "on his way to freedom." Yusuf is set to arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport on Tuesday at about 3 p.m local time.

</snip>

A State Department spokesperson told BuzzFeed News, "The United States is alarmed by China’s highly repressive campaign against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, and other Muslims in Xinjiang."

</snip>

Yusuf was traveling not on a passport, but a travel document that would have only allowed him to return to China. China frequently issues these kinds of documents in lieu of a passport to its Uighur citizens living overseas in an effort to force them to return home, where they may face detention.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

Tough to imagine what it's like being a Democrat right now. Their party has turned the greatest meltdown ever into the biggest schittshow ever. They somehow think their accusations carry weight when all they're doing is tee'ing up Orange Man for another term.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

Because targeting someone with tax policy in that way is unconstitutional.  "Bill of attainder."

Guess they'll just have to lump all of the other social media platforms in... Can't have one company singled out.

The Media Crossed a Line This Week and There’s No Going Back.

While the press continues to blame Republicans for their “rhetoric,” there’s no question that the vitriol we’ve seen from the left this week dwarfs anything anyone on the mainstream right has ever said or done in a political setting. Period.

Calling entire voting blocks white supremacists, doxxing donors, yelling for the death of a Senator, asserting Republicans want mass shootings to occur, threatening people for their political activities, asserting the President wants to exterminate a race – these are not the rantings of sane people looking for de-escalation of rhetoric.

They are the drivers of escalation in our rhetoric and it’s reaching dangerous levels.

There’s no coming back from this for the media. There will never be a time when a majority of the country trusts them again.

Sadly, they don’t care, as they’re more driven by the desire for approval from their peers on Twitter than anything else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We are on day 6 of media and Democratic politicians blaming Trump for a mass murder

and then getting upset he’s not agreeing with them that he is a mass murderer.

NYT"s reporter for 2020 campaign   (what does that tell you) ?

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

We are on day 6 of media and Democratic politicians blaming Trump for a mass murder

and then getting upset he’s not agreeing with them that he is a mass murderer.

NYT"s reporter for 2020 campaign   (what does that tell you) ?

The only thing more embarrassingly stupid than all the 2020 candidates blaming Trump for the shootings are the actual people who believe them.

These people better be careful what they wish for...as they will surely get it.

• Like (+1) 1

...cue up the "here comes the media and candidates attack" tape, branding it as trying to distract attention from recent events...

Trump regrets the 'pressure' put on his brother, who died of alcoholism in the 1980s

By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News Published 3 hours ago

President Trump reflected on his relationship with his brother Fred Trump Jr. -- who died in 1981 as a result of alcoholism -- and the lasting effect Fred's drinking had on him, saying in an interview he regrets the "pressure" put on his sibling.

Trump told The Washington Post that seeing his brother succumb to alcoholism has shaped his perspective as his administration attempts to take on addictions, be they alcohol-related or opioids.

TRUMP DONATES $100G FROM HIS SALARY TO ALCOHOLISM RESEARCH

"I guess you could say now I’m the chief of trying to solve it,” Trump said. “I don’t know that I’d be working, devoting the kind of time and energy and even the money we are allocating to it. . . . I don’t know that I’d be doing that had I not had the experience with Fred."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-regrets-the-pressure-put-on-his-brother-who-died-of-alcoholism-in-the-eighties

ANALYSIS: TRUE. Media ‘unhinged’ over shootings, ‘unprecedented levels of left-wing bias.’

BYRON YORK: Has anyone actually read the El Paso manifesto?

Much discussion was spurred by an article in the New York Times with the headline, “El Paso Shooting Suspect’s Manifesto Echoes Trump’s Language.” The story quoted just 28 words of the nearly 2,400-word manifesto. It noted that Crusius specifically wrote that his views “predate Trump.” And it warned that “linking political speech, however heated, to the specific acts of ruthless mass killers is a fraught exercise.” Nevertheless, the Times declared that even “if Mr. Trump did not originally inspire the gunman, he has brought into the mainstream polarizing ideas and people once consigned to the fringes of American society.”

So what did Crusius actually write? The Times story did not link to the manifesto, nor did many other media accounts. Most news organizations decided that even though the manifesto is clearly part of the El Paso story, they should not give Crusius the exposure he sought by linking to its full text. So many stories have included just a few snippets from the document. (The Washington Examiner has also decided not to link to the manifesto, but it can be easily found on the internet.)

But since the manifesto has become such an important part of the moment’s political debate, it is worth looking at the whole thing. And the impression one gets after reading the manifesto is quite different than some press accounts.

Shocking, that. I think that it’s unprofessional to simultaneously not link to the manifesto to deny it attention — and then talk about the manifesto a lot, especially in a misleading way. But then, “unprofessional” is what journalism is all about these days.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

ANALYSIS: TRUE. Media ‘unhinged’ over shootings, ‘unprecedented levels of left-wing bias.’

Much discussion was spurred by an article in the New York Times with the headline, “El Paso Shooting Suspect’s Manifesto Echoes Trump’s Language.” The story quoted just 28 words of the nearly 2,400-word manifesto. It noted that Crusius specifically wrote that his views “predate Trump.” And it warned that “linking political speech, however heated, to the specific acts of ruthless mass killers is a fraught exercise.” Nevertheless, the Times declared that even “if Mr. Trump did not originally inspire the gunman, he has brought into the mainstream polarizing ideas and people once consigned to the fringes of American society.”

So what did Crusius actually write? The Times story did not link to the manifesto, nor did many other media accounts. Most news organizations decided that even though the manifesto is clearly part of the El Paso story, they should not give Crusius the exposure he sought by linking to its full text. So many stories have included just a few snippets from the document. (The Washington Examiner has also decided not to link to the manifesto, but it can be easily found on the internet.)

But since the manifesto has become such an important part of the moment’s political debate, it is worth looking at the whole thing. And the impression one gets after reading the manifesto is quite different than some press accounts.

Shocking, that. I think that it’s unprofessional to simultaneously not link to the manifesto to deny it attention — and then talk about the manifesto a lot, especially in a misleading way. But then, “unprofessional” is what journalism is all about these days.

In other words just a more outlandish use of their reported journalism being used as propaganda.

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Mitch's account restored -- after being silenced for... wait for it... showing a video of protesters outside his own house. 

Literally, his campaign account was suspended for being a threat to him for showing a video of other people threatening him.  :wacko:

Twitter is insane.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:39 AM, B-Man said:

TLDR

If it's longer than 140 characters i can't be  bothered.

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

Do you think they are working good enough ?

The problem with mass shootings and violence in our inner cities has nothing to do with our gun laws. Changing gun laws won't change the amount of shootings. Our problems are the disintegration of the family and moral fiber of our populace. This is exacerbated by the Left and MSM pushing to bring about change in our time tested standards. We can now identify as a woman if we choose, just ignore that dicky thing. We can go take a dump in your daughters bathroom. I can insist that you call me anything I want. We even have a Democrat presidential candidate that checks off a box because he is gay. It's a slippery slope we're on and I personally don't see an easy way off of it.

39 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yes, I do. Laws only work when people obey them. People who do not obey the law will ignore them regardless of how strict they become. Do you actually think that someone who is unhinged enough to commit mass murder will have second thoughts because the gun laws have been made more severe? Do you think that making gun ownership illegal in certain urban areas has done anything to curtail gun violence in those communities?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ALF said:

What are your views on our motor vehicle and traffic laws, our laws on domestic violence, robbery, embezzlement, fraud, and rape? Are THEY working “good enough?”

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer on the air. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think  a big problem is the poor follow up for see something , say something. If it is true the mother of the El Paso  shooter spoke to police about concern for the weapon her son had. 

Exclusive: El Paso suspect's mother called police concerned about gun

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/el-paso-crusius-gun-warning/index.html

Edited by ALF

1 hour ago, ALF said:

I think  a big problem is the poor follow up for see something , say something. If it is true the mother of the El Paso  shooter spoke to police about concern for the weapon her son had. 

Close. What you’re seeing almost every time is a complete breakdown of the government agencies charged with  doing something about red flags when they’re reported. It’s happened time and time again. So the Dems play whack a mole! Write another law. Create another agency. Fund another program. All of which target the symptom not the disease. Then...toss in political correctness and you have a mess.

• Like (+1) 1