Draft question: which do you take?

Rubes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Buff News today, and the analysis of Rex's defensive failure:

Given that, if the Bills are on the clock and both Mike Williams and the best safety in the draft are available, which do you take?

This is, of course, assuming that we don't add a starting WR or S in free agency, which I don't see happening.

You take the best player on your board period, unless the position you need is in the same grade group. Chasing positions never works out long term, and typically doesn't work

Edited by matter2003

you just simply take the BPA..especially first round.

That never happens no matter what anyone says. They may come to the decision that the bpa is the best choice and pull the trigger on that bpa. But there is no such thing as automatic bpa. Every choice in every round in every draft in every sport by every team is exactly the same thought process. They look at the bpa on their board, they look at the areas of need, they look at the next best player at the positions of need, they look at guys that may be available at the position of the bpa in the next round or so and then take all of that info and more (like runs on positions and who they have already drafted or their depth at that position) and then and only then do they decide if they will take bpa.

That never happens no matter what anyone says. They may come to the decision that the bpa is the best choice and pull the trigger on that bpa. But there is no such thing as automatic bpa. Every choice in every round in every draft in every sport by every team is exactly the same thought process. They look at the bpa on their board, they look at the areas of need, they look at the next best player at the positions of need, they look at guys that may be available at the position of the bpa in the next round or so and then take all of that info and more (like runs on positions and who they have already drafted or their depth at that position) and then and only then do they decide if they will take bpa.

You can take the second or third ranked qb who is down in the rankings and have it make a dramatic impact on your team and franchise. You can take the top rated corner, OT, safety and LBer who are at the top of the board and have them make a negligible impact on your team.

An example of the above point is that when Kallil Mack was drafted by the Raiders he was ranked at the top of the draft board and was drafted near the top of the draft. Derek Carr was rated as a lower first to a high second round caliber player in that draft. Mack is an all-pro player yet he does not come close to having the impact that Carr has on his team.

The point is obvious. Certain positions have an importance that go beyond the ranking of talent. If a team has its franchise qb locked in already on the roster then it makes sense to give more weight to the BPA approach to drafting. On the other hand if a team doesn't already have a legitimate franchise qb on its roster the imperative is to secure that position and make it a priority above everything else. Make no mistake that I am not suggesting reaching to find a qb from the draft as this franchise stupidly did with the EJ selection in that poor qb draft year. But there is no excuse to be passive in addressing a position that has more to do with success or failure than any other position.

Given that, if the Bills are on the clock and both Mike Williams and the best safety in the draft are available, which do you take?

This is, of course, assuming that we don't add a starting WR or S in free agency, which I don't see happening.

WR we NEED weapons, get safety latter in deep draft

Williams will not be there but you cannot turn him down. He's too good a player. We need a safety more but that doesn't really matter. It's a position of great need and he's as close as you can get as a can't miss player. Just below Sammy.

That said, the draft is after Free agency. So if for some reason we are able to resign Woods or get a top level WR who is a solid #2, then and only then consider the safety. Especially if AW is coming back.

I don't think that there is any reasonable chance that Aaron Williams does not retire. Even in the event that he decides not to retire, it would be foolish not to draft a safety to take over after his next/head injury.

QB with first pick

Too easy an answer - WHAT QB in this weak class do you take at pick 10 when there will be very good prospects at WR, S and likely DE ((Soloman Thomas) available?

Personally, I'd say if Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams are there at 10, you take whichever is highest on your list. If not, try to trade down closer to 20 and take Jabrill Peppers.

Then with your next two high picks, you take a WR like Courtland Sutton, and QB Pat Mahomes (I like this kid).

Just my two pennies. I'm just a guy sitting on his couch watching football.

Personally, I'd say if Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams are there at 10, you take whichever is highest on your list. If not, try to trade down closer to 20 and take Jabrill Peppers.

Then with your next two high picks, you take a WR like Courtland Sutton, and QB Pat Mahomes (I like this kid).

Just my two pennies. I'm just a guy sitting on his couch watching football.

I am a big Courtland Sutton fan. He has become one of my major draft crushes. I think a lot will depend on how he runs at the combine / pro day. If he is 4.50 or faster he will be a 1st round pick.

malik hooker. he'll be getting 7-8 picks a year for us.

Id sign up for this if that is accurate.

You take the best player on your board period, unless the position you need is in the same grade group. Chasing positions never works out long term, and typically doesn't work

What this guy said.

1st choice: A QB (Watson or Trubisky)

2nd choice: A WR (Williams or Davis)

BPA

Trade down for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and take the best available CB in the mid twenties.