New jw Tweets 1/9

Reed83HOF

IF they over-rule Whaley again and give control of the 53 to the new coach I could see Whaley departing after the draft. "Mutual agreement" type of deal (where he still gets paid every dime).

New coach finds a GM to work for him basically.

53 man control might be part of what the team has to do in terms of compensation to get their guy.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And on a maybe related side note, season ticket renewals have not gone out. Usually they are sent before the season ends. They seem to be holding back until the HC thing is settled. Just throwing that out there.

Surprised they send that early - down here is normally late February

IF they over-rule Whaley again and give control of the 53 to the new coach I could see Whaley departing after the draft. "Mutual agreement" type of deal (where he still gets paid every dime).

New coach finds a GM to work for him basically.

53 man control might be part of what the team has to do in terms of compensation to get their guy.

If I am Whaley and I get overruled and now on the 3rd coach as a GM and I picked none of them. I am walking before the draft.

At this rate and with this being the 1st and ONLY time Whaley gets to choose his HC like how it SHOULD be for most teams, he is gonna be very careful with who he chooses. We wont have an answer until a week or two after the Super Bowl. So everyone can pass me a valium or a perk and relax!

I do love GMTM, he has an eye for talent, and just love his attitude as well. He won me over in the first draft.

When the entire Hockey world always does the standard puff up the draft host etc etc he just walks up says "Buffalo Selects Sam Reinhart" drops mic and walks away. No BS from that man

I like his demeanor... however, I do think he talks publicly and candid a bit too much... and I like his attention and experience to scouting

My jury is still out on him overall. He needs to hit on some of these picks, other than the slam-dunk tankey guys. He spent a lot of assets in some trades and those moves (Lehner, Kane/Bogosian) are looking a bit questionable. Rochester is somewhat barren and they are fairly short on prospects, considering where they were when Murray took over.

Edited by May Day 10

all i can say is the one puzzle piece missing from all this is whether the Bills are done interviewing.

no one I've talked to yet can definitively say one way or another, and the people in a position to know haven't responded.

jw

So, if they are done interviewing, you are confident that you know who it is going to be?

Did they give Darcy the OK to hire the next coach?

Hmmm if you wanted to not support Whaley and wanted your guy then maybe you should have just fired Whaley as well

Uhm, who hired Rolston as HC? The owners were certainly supportive at the time.

As for Whaley, who knows? It's my conjecture, but I'm guessing that Pegulas aren't thrilled at how the last two weeks have played out and it wouldn't shock me that they're having second thoughts about their GM.

The rumors about TT benching are certainly troubling. As I said before, there's a world of difference in the "business decision" if it was to 1) avoid injury to TT, 2) evaluate EJ as a backup or 3) evaluate EJ as a starter. If Whaley was pushing for #3 among with other things that have made the franchise look inept, then you bet they're having second thoughts about him.

all i can say is the one puzzle piece missing from all this is whether the Bills are done interviewing.

no one I've talked to yet can definitively say one way or another, and the people in a position to know haven't responded.

jw

Now I guess this is the concrete info that is appreciated. It's like a mystery novel and you're helping us sleuth. As many times as I've disagreed with your twitter- I always click your articles. Truth, without agenda, in the modern media is appreciated.

If I am Whaley and I get overruled and now on the 3rd coach as a GM and I picked none of them. I am walking before the draft.

Nope. He's under contract. Only way he could walk is if he can prove that the Bills breached the contract and/or constructively discharged him. That would be very difficult to prove, but of course we would need to see the precise language of the contract to know for sure.

I like his demeanor... however, I do think he talks publicly and candid a bit too much... and I like his attention and experience to scouting

My jury is still out on him overall. He needs to hit on some of these picks, other than the slam-dunk tankey guys. He spent a lot of assets in some trades and those moves (Lehner, Kane/Bogosian) are looking a bit questionable. Rochester is somewhat barren and they are fairly short on prospects, considering where they were when Murray took over.

I think the Lehner trade is fine.

Give you the Bogo and Kane trade (Maybe), but not like what we gave up was trending up.

Well Rochester is going to be short for a bit. happens then you have to build the Big Club from the ground up. Eventually those top end picks will be down there developing and not playing in Buffalo right away

Uhm, who hired Rolston as HC? The owners were certainly supportive at the time.

As for Whaley, who knows? It's my conjecture, but I'm guessing that Pegulas aren't thrilled at how the last two weeks have played out and it wouldn't shock me that they're having second thoughts about their GM.

The rumors about TT benching are certainly troubling. As I said before, there's a world of difference in the "business decision" if it was to 1) avoid injury to TT, 2) evaluate EJ as a backup or 3) evaluate EJ as a starter. If Whaley was pushing for #3 among with other things that have made the franchise look inept, then you bet they're having second thoughts about him.

OOO yeah Supportive of a tank coach. that come up from the Minors little different don't you think.

Yeah Rumors.... Cant be that 1 or 2. Has to be Whaley PUSHING EJ to be starter.

jw

I guess that really is it. I have seen rumors that Whaley wanted to interview within the Steelers, but the Steelers want to keep everyone as long as they are in the playoffs.

Any word on that being true?

First, LaFontaine has this "stigma" due to the Islanders situation that was extremely toxic. He was an unpaid advisor, and was expecting to work with Neil Smith... However, Charles Wang, a notoriously meddlesome owner of a dysfunctional franchise fired Smith like a month later and replaced him with their backup goaltender... and hours later, the unpaid LaFontaine resigned.

Any reasons people give for LaFontaine's departure from the Sabres is speculation. Only a few people know and they are on NDAs.

I do know I would want LaFontaine running the ship right now as opposed to a Brandon-Pegula-Murray triumvirate. They also had Craig Patrick on board and lost him in the process. I also know the Pegulas are amassing a repeat history of front office drama where it is only fair to not heap all blame on LaFontaine based on assumption.

So you'd rather have LaFintaine as GM them Murray? Thats crazy and Russ doesn't have schit to do with hockey operations (or football)

Nope. He's under contract. Only way he could walk is if he can prove that the Bills breached the contract and/or constructively discharged him. That would be very difficult to prove, but of course we would need to see the precise language of the contract to know for sure.

OK Cool then I come to work everyday and DO NOTHING. Think I am going to prep for your draft when you don't trust me enough to pick a coach

these things take time, is all I'm saying.

people want answers now.

there aren't any.

that doesn't prevent me from saying things are afoot and/or fluid, or outline the landscape.

jw

oh, I get it. But I'd have fun with it. Make some people dance.