New jw Tweets 1/9

Reed83HOF

I can only speak to Kevin Colbert and company. Whaley has built a pretty good roster and has excelled in the "bargain bin." They just can't seem to put everything together. It's like the offense and defense are on a seesaw. Over the last 2 years their DVOA rankings basically flip flopped. There is a problem on one side of the ball and it improves while the other side fails and vice versa.

I believe that the offense today is good enough to compete. They were 7th in points (through week 16) with Watkins missing half the year. They will need a new RT and #2 WR but think that can be done pretty easily. The defense is going to have some holes as they transition again. With that being said, I believe that the coaching on that side of the ball was incompetent. I think that they can get better by just getting rid of Rex and Rob. If they hit in the draft and Ragland is a player all of a sudden they've plugged a few holes. We will see though.

I believe the job of HC is too big now to be overly involved with one side of the ball or the other. I think this is a big reason you see a lot of the special teams coaches excel at a head job, they are able to take a step back and see the big picture. I can't help but wonder if Marrone meddled too much on the offensive side (causing their performance to decline) while Rex has meddled too much on the defensive side (causing the see saw). Neither coach is what I would consider a good game day general, focusing too much on either side of the ball (and not letting the DC/OC do their job) would likely take away from in game performance.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't get the love for Sean McDermott as his defense had worse stats this year than Rex's and he has had some up and down seasons. Or for Vance Joseph either for that matter.

They had a pretty consistent run up until this year. Before 2016, they were top 10 in total defense 4 years running, and 2nd in 2014.

They had a pretty consistent run up until this year. Before 2016, they were top 10 in total defense 4 years running, and 2nd in 2014.

Then he lost Josh Norman and had to play young guys in the secondary.

Exactly what he'll have to do here.

LOL, I like how you demand answers like he owes you something. You are aware he gathers information and writes about it as a profession, correct? I do not walk up to your office and just you do work for free because we both post on here.

I can ask whatever I want and they way I asked were not demands, just hoping he would respond like he has with others.

I believe the job of HC is too big now to be overly involved with one side of the ball or the other. I think this is a big reason you see a lot of the special teams coaches excel at a head job, they are able to take a step back and see the big picture. I can't help but wonder if Marrone meddled too much on the offensive side (causing their performance to decline) while Rex has meddled too much on the defensive side (causing the see saw). Neither coach is what I would consider a good game day general, focusing too much on either side of the ball (and not letting the DC/OC do their job) would likely take away from in game performance.

Think that there is a lot of truth to this Chuck. You need a CEO as the HC not a guy that coaches one side of the ball.

He also had a hand in developing Norman into what he is now. He has a track record of developing players on D. I think that is an important trait in a HC.

I can only speak to Kevin Colbert and company. Whaley has built a pretty good roster and has excelled in the "bargain bin." They just can't seem to put everything together. It's like the offense and defense are on a seesaw. Over the last 2 years their DVOA rankings basically flip flopped. There is a problem on one side of the ball and it improves while the other side fails and vice versa.

I believe that the offense today is good enough to compete. They were 7th in points (through week 16) with Watkins missing half the year. They will need a new RT and #2 WR but think that can be done pretty easily. The defense is going to have some holes as they transition again. With that being said, I believe that the coaching on that side of the ball was incompetent. I think that they can get better by just getting rid of Rex and Rob. If they hit in the draft and Ragland is a player all of a sudden they've plugged a few holes. We will see though.

Yes, Kirby, he can't seem to put it all together! Just think what the offense would have looked like the last two years without Rex, Incognito and Tyrod Taylor. Just remember Whaley drafted some rookie QB's and then asked to play behind one of the worst lines in the league. This, with no veteran QB to teach them the NFL ropes, no QB coach and the only guy they had to learn from was an NFL rookie OC himself.

Just think of one other thing, what would have happened if CJ Spiller had taken the deal offered by Whaley and there was no Shady either. Whaley has had four years to build a team and he clung to EJ way too much.

Think that there is a lot of truth to this Chuck. You need a CEO as the HC not a guy that coaches one side of the ball.

a head coach is not the best leader or the best motivator. he is the best organized and best at process thought. being a good coach is hard.

Just think of one other thing, what would have happened if CJ Spiller had taken the deal offered by Whaley and there was no Shady either. Whaley has had four years to build a team and he clung to EJ way too much.

That just about made me throw up :sick:

all i can say is the one puzzle piece missing from all this is whether the Bills are done interviewing.

no one I've talked to yet can definitively say one way or another, and the people in a position to know haven't responded.

jw

They could be not done. On the Pegula Jet Page they keep showing the jet going to Sarasota. The Nashville stop was interesting. Btw, Love me some Wawrow tweets.

Wouldn't be left field

If you look at the picture jw was paining:

John Wawrow
Oh, boy. I'm sure this'll turn out well.
John Wawrow
Keep in mind, how the Bills coaching hire has been outlined to me:
Whaley is running the search.
Pegulas have final approval.
It is somebody out of left field who the Pegs may over rule Whaley on...
If not an old dog like Coughlin, who they spoke with at least once and maybe 2/3 times, then who? I would assume it isn't Wisenhut, Haley or Kelly...

Then he lost Josh Norman and had to play young guys in the secondary.

Exactly what he'll have to do here.

Not necessarily. The Bills can still tag Gilmore and a clever GM can work contracts to add phantom years on.

For example, in 2016 Norman's franchise tag was worth $13.6M. You could offer another contract for two years with that much guaranteed, something like 2 yrs, for 27.5 M total a year, $10 M signing bonus. 2017 cap hot of $8.6M, $18.6M in 2018.

Unless they renegotiate in 2018, he would make it any longer, but the Bills could shop a high quality CB on a one year rental at roughly the cost of a franchise tag from a year before.

Not necessarily. The Bills can still tag Gilmore and a clever GM can work contracts to add phantom years on.

For example, in 2016 Norman's franchise tag was worth $13.6M. You could offer another contract for two years with that much guaranteed, something like 2 yrs, for 27.5 M total a year, $10 M signing bonus. 2017 cap hot of $8.6M, $18.6M in 2018.

Unless they renegotiate in 2018, he would make it any longer, but the Bills could shop a high quality CB on a one year rental at roughly the cost of a franchise tag from a year before.

You killed your entire post before you even started when you said "a clever a GM..."

I personally put the odd of Gilmore leaving at 70%. Even if they figure out a way to keep him, probably looking at two young safeties.

If you look at the picture jw was paining:

John Wawrow
Oh, boy. I'm sure this'll turn out well.
John Wawrow
Keep in mind, how the Bills coaching hire has been outlined to me:
Whaley is running the search.
Pegulas have final approval.
It is somebody out of left field who the Pegs may over rule Whaley on...
If not an old dog like Coughlin, who they spoke with at least once and maybe 2/3 times, then who? I would assume it isn't Wisenhut, Haley or Kelly...

Or maybe, admittedly what i want is, the Pegulas fell in love with a candidate again after Seattle.

I'm just saying "out of left field" just doesn't seem like someone who's name has been in the mix since the job began to look like it might be open.

Edited by Billschinatown

Still, losing one CB should have that much impact to drop the team from 6th overall to 26th points allowed, 21st yards allowed and 29th in passing yards allowed. That's a huge dropoff.

Isn't good coaching supposed to determine if the backup players are good enough to step in without missing a beat! That Panther secondary stunk this year and this with the #4 team in defensive hurries and #2 in the NFL in sacks with 47.

I'll be very disappointed should the Bills hire Sean McDermott as their new HC.

Or maybe, admittedly what i want is, the Pegulas fell in love with a candidate again after Seattle.

I'm just saying "out of left field" just doesn't seem like someone who's name has been in the mix since the job began to look like it might be open.

I could see that, when he talks of a left field candidate now...I suppose it could be someone from the search a couple years ago too:

Edit:

2014 List

1.) Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle (Saturday, 1/3)
Adam Gase, offensive coordinator, Denver (Saturday, 1/3)
Dan Quinn, defensive coordinator, Seattle (Saturday, 1/3)
2.) Frank Reich, offensive coordinator, San Diego (Sunday, 1/4) - jw said never mentioned
3.) Mike Shanahan, head coach (fmr.), Washington (Sunday, 1/4)
4.) Pat Shurmur, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia (Tuesday, 1/6) - Vikings new OC
Hue Jackson, offensive coordinator, Cincinnati (Wednesday, 1/7)
Rex Ryan, head coach (fmr.), New York Jets (Thursday, 1/8)
5.) Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator, Cleveland (Thursday, 1/8)
6.) Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator, Buffalo (date N/A)
Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco (Friday, 1/9)
7.) Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit (Saturday, 1/10)
8.) Pep Hamilton, offensive coordinator, Indianapolis (permission requested) - going to UM
9.) Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England (permission requested) - not requested & Turned down
Edited by Reed83HOF