New jw Tweets 1/9

Reed83HOF

I believe the job of HC is too big now to be overly involved with one side of the ball or the other. I think this is a big reason you see a lot of the special teams coaches excel at a head job, they are able to take a step back and see the big picture. I can't help but wonder if Marrone meddled too much on the offensive side (causing their performance to decline) while Rex has meddled too much on the defensive side (causing the see saw). Neither coach is what I would consider a good game day general, focusing too much on either side of the ball (and not letting the DC/OC do their job) would likely take away from in game performance.

Marrone wasn't helping the offense his last season in Buffalo as he was far too busy helping his good bud Danny Crossman on special teams. Kinda why the run game went into the toilet and the offense went pass happy under Hackett.

Buffalo was #4 with special teams in 2014. 12th in 2015 and 23rd this year under Rex.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Kirby, he can't seem to put it all together! Just think what the offense would have looked like the last two years without Rex, Incognito and Tyrod Taylor. Just remember Whaley drafted some rookie QB's and then asked to play behind one of the worst lines in the league. This, with no veteran QB to teach them the NFL ropes, no QB coach and the only guy they had to learn from was an NFL rookie OC himself.

Just think of one other thing, what would have happened if CJ Spiller had taken the deal offered by Whaley and there was no Shady either. Whaley has had four years to build a team and he clung to EJ way too much.

It certainly hasn't been perfect but the talent now is much better than it was in the Gailey days (for example).

One thing that jumps out as a huge mistake was keeping Carpenter on the roster for 17 weeks. If they would have cut him when they should of they might have been playing this past weekend. It isn't talked about often but he really hurt them.

For the most part though they have starting caliber talent everywhere on offense with the exception of RT. Defensively they are lacking at LB and S and maybe corner soon. They would have been okay at S had Aaron Williams been alright, same goes for LB with Ragland. The injuries hurt the depth. This isn't a roster devoid of talent. It is a team that cant put it all together (which to me comes back to coaching again). They were plus 41 in point differential going into week 17 with a losing record. Think about that for a second, they were outscoring opponents by over 2.5 PPG and had a losing record. That comes down to decision making and execution on ALL SIDES OF THE BALL. Look at KC's point differential and you will see a team that does the exact opposite.

I hate this crap, because every time the Bills start a HC search I have no preference and no idea who the candidates are...and then, rather than ignoring everything and waiting for the process to finish I become enamored with a candidate and am then disappointed in who they hire -- even though I have no real reason to be.

The choice to continue being a Bills fan is a complicated, perplexing decision.

It is.

My life would be so much easier and I would have so much more time if I were not a Bills fan.

It is a struggle . . . particularly this year.

I know I probably will talk myself into keeping my season tickets, but I feel my attitude changing for the first time ever. Maybe I will get I excited again once they hire someone, but I have a suspicion that I am going to have a fairly empty feeling about whomever they hire (based on the names that we are reading).

I hate this crap, because every time the Bills start a HC search I have no preference and no idea who the candidates are...and then, rather than ignoring everything and waiting for the process to finish I become enamored with a candidate and am then disappointed in who they hire -- even though I have no real reason to be.

I'm not in on any of these candidates because as you say who really knows how they will do.

The only guy I'm all in on is Jim Harbaugh and that is not happening.

I'm Bills fans because they I grew up here and will always be a fan. However it's like having a girlfriend where you love them but you are not "in love" with them.

It is.

My life would be so much easier and I would have so much more time if I were not a Bills fan.

It is a struggle . . . particularly this year.

I know I probably will talk myself into keeping my season tickets, but I feel my attitude changing for the first time ever. Maybe I will get I excited again once they hire someone, but I have a suspicion that I am going to have a fairly empty feeling about whomever they hire (based on the names that we are reading).

Well you're one of the few people that can't see Rex was a legitimate problem so...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see a coach that actually cares.

sarcasm? link?

Shefty reported it...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 23s24 seconds ago

And this! Jaguars also hiring their former HC Tom Coughlin as Executive VP of Football Operations, per source. Marrone and Coughlin in Jax

Shefty reported it...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 23s24 seconds ago

And this! Jaguars also hiring their former HC Tom Coughlin as Executive VP of Football Operations, per source. Marrone and Coughlin in Jax

Watch them become great. Bortles still has the talent but needs better coaching as he regressed badly this yr.

Son of a :censored: , Coughlin executive VP of Football operations.

And this! Jaguars also hiring their former HC Tom Coughlin as Executive VP of Football Operations, per source. Marrone and Coughlin in Jax.

Yup. I really wanted that kind of stabilizing force...