Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

So much for what Vic was "hearing".

@john_wawrow

After interviewing with #49ers, #Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn's next stop is meeting with the Bills on Thursday, per AP source.

Does that mean he is taking the job?

Perhaps, he wants to see whether they can satisfy whatever concerns he may have. Perhaps?

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does that mean he is taking the job?

Perhaps, he wants to see whether they can satisfy whatever concerns he may have. Perhaps?

I don't think this is unreasonable but do most people interview for jobs they are no longer interested in? Seems to contradict Carucci's "league sources" who informed him Lynn no longer wanted the job.

Yet another not so good look for TBN reporters in a week full of not so good looks for them.

You, of course, assume he has concerns.

I don't think this is unreasonable but do most people interview for jobs they are no longer interested in? Seems to contradict Carucci's "league sources" who informed him Lynn no longer wanted the job.

Yet another not so good look for TBN reporters in a week full of not so good looks for them.

The two reports are not necessarily contradictory. In fact, wouldn't it make sense for Lynn to use that as leverage?

Another conjecture-filled, middle school girl gossip, bull **** report.

I'm done with "sports coverage" in general. Not just Bills. The whole thing has gotten absurd.

Clemson players goosing opponents. OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Giants WRs spend day off in Miami. OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Bill O'Brien may quit Houston due to relationship with GM. (Sound familiar?) OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Just give me Xs and Os and the purity of the sport. Let me know who the Bills are interviewing. I really don't care about some rumored feelings. I'm sure like anyone interviewing for such high profile jobs, he has excitement and apprehensions about every team. I don't care if he's so excited to interview with the Bills he wasnt going to take any other interviews.

No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors 20 hrs a day. Enough already. Tuning out.

The two reports are not necessarily contradictory. In fact, wouldn't it make sense for Lynn to use that as leverage?

Use his non interest as leverage? When he's going up against candidates that ARE interested? Not sure I'd use the term leverage to describe that interview strategy.

If he interviews for the Bills job, that is a direct contradiction to the idea that he is no longer interested as was reported.

Edited by K-9

I know when I have second thoughts about a job, I immediately skip my interview, burn all bridges and leave dog crap on the CEO's doorstep to let them REALLY know.

Why would he have 2nd thoughts?

#1 The Bills have no quarterback

#2 We fire entire coaching staffs every 2 years

#3 Haven't seen the playoffs in 17 years

#4 Best player smokes pot then receives a top 10 salary

#5 The owner is clueless

#6 The last head coach escaped to Jacksonville with a pocket full of cash

#7 We hit every goalpost in the league during FGs

#8 Every player on the team has groin problems

#9 Our cheerleaders are now barmaids

#10 The toilet in section 124 overflows every game

#11 Our GM still believe EJ could be a SUPERSTAR

#12 Reggie Bush actually made the team

Use his non interest as leverage? When he's going up against candidates that ARE interested? Not sure I'd use the term leverage to describe that interview strategy.

If he interviews for the Bills job, that is a direct contradiction to the idea that he is no longer interested as was reported.

He could use his reported "concern" (whether real or imagined) in negotiating a contract (either with respect to contract amount, power, or both). Of course, this may depend on how much leverage the Bills have. If it turns out they are having a hard time attracting other desirable candidates, Lynn might have more leverage. If the Bills have plenty of other desirable candidates, Lynn would have little leverage unless the Bills are fixated on him.

Right now, his leverage is that (1) he presumably would be "acceptable" to the fan base (even with people who may not be thrilled) and (2) there is the appearance of other suitors for his services.

How this plays out, we shall see.

In the meantime, it makes sense for Lynn to interview with any team that is serious about hiring him.

Edited by Peter

Another conjecture-filled, middle school girl gossip, bull **** report.

I'm done with "sports coverage" in general. Not just Bills. The whole thing has gotten absurd.

Clemson players goosing opponents. OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Giants WRs spend day off in Miami. OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Bill O'Brien may quit Houston due to relationship with GM. (Sound familiar?) OUTRAGE! Who cares?

Just give me Xs and Os and the purity of the sport. Let me know who the Bills are interviewing. I really don't care about some rumored feelings. I'm sure like anyone interviewing for such high profile jobs, he has excitement and apprehensions about every team. I don't care if he's so excited to interview with the Bills he wasnt going to take any other interviews.

No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors 20 hrs a day. Enough already. Tuning out.

Ditto

I still think Buffalo is by far Lynn's best shot at being a Head Coach next year. He isn't even a lock to get an OC job if he isn't a Head Coach.

If he withdraws his name from this job he likely goes back to being a running backs coach in 2017.

While this is true, he's also got to be smart enough to consider the long-term ramifications, not just the upcoming year.

As a black man, chances are that he is going to get exactly one shot as a head coach in this league. If he picks poorly and cannot succeed in that first gig, it is not likely he will ever get another opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL.

That's just cold, hard reality and you can bet he is well enough aware of it to take it into consideration.

Edited by Simon

Not if he wanted to control his own destiny . . . .

It is amazing how some of the Rex Haters on this board and in the media are so myopic and quick to claim that Rex's decision was insane . . . yet they forgot or conveniently failed to mention that Gase made the same decision on the preceding drive even though his defense gave up MORE yards, he punted from OUR end, he did not know whether he would get the ball back, and the Dolphins needed the win at the time to control their own destiny (unless they got help from other teams the next day and/or they beat the Pats the next week).

Sorry, but a few key differences when Gase made his decision: there was more time on the clock, so even if the Bills made a couple of first downs (which they did) the Dolphins had plenty of time to score, the Dolphins had 2 TOs remaining, while Buffalo only had 1, and finally, while a tie would not have clinched the playoffs for the Dolphins, it kept them in pretty good shape, and in fact they would have made the playoffs with a tie. Again, the key question is what was more likely, the Bills making it on 4th and 2 or the Bills getting a 3 and out AND getting a game winning FG? In my mind making the 4th and 2 was at least two or three times more likely than the later, and you don't give away your season playing the longshot. Not to mention that if the defense could get a 3 and out, it is not a cinch that Miami would have scored even if they had taken over on the Bills 41. No brainer in my mind.

Edited by IronyAbounds

Great question Dave!

That is exactly what you hope for!

Don't see it that way at all; fair question...instead of trying to type it all out - this is why personally I really like the ST coordinators for HC gigs...

"Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is convinced of the same. He is well aware of the daunting challenges that special-teams coaches face on a weekly basis in trying to mix and match personnel for coverage and return units when injuries and roster moves made to address more pressing offensive and defensive needs dictate the players at their disposal. "When you talk about the special-teams guy, hes in front of the entire team," Arians said. "Hes not like a quarterback coach or coordinator who only has half the team. Hes got the entire team and in a very big setting as far as classroom work. "Theyre probably as adept at addressing a football team as anybody.""

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-head-coaching-openings-special-teams-dick-vermeil-john-harbaugh-bill-cowher-mike-ditka-121615

Here is why I like Toub and I'm pissed we aren't looking at him...

"Special teams coordinators are often overlooked as head-coaching candidates, but reality is their job is easily as difficult as an offensive or defensive coordinator. On top of that, the special teams coach has to work with players from both sides of the ball every day in practice, teach them specific skills, and coordinate units that have a lot to do with winning or losing in any given game. Special teams coordinators have to game-plan on a weekly basis just as the other coordinators do. Toub has done that very successfully for 13 years. The fact is, year in and year out, Toub's special teams are in the top third in the NFL in every category rated. When looking for a head coach, clubs look for a person who has outstanding motivational and leadership skills, can communicate with both players and management and be able to put together a strong staff. Under Toub's leadership, several of his assistants have gone on to lead coordinator jobs around the league.

Having worked with Toub for eight years I know and understand his ability to prepare and motivate. Those traits are among the best of any coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with some of the best (Parcells, Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ron Rivera). Toub is an excellent evaluator of talent and I doubt you will find a more loyal person anywhere."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12/19/greg-gabriel-chiefs-special-teams-coordinator-dave-toub-should-be-an-nfl-head-coach-in-2017/a9bleyy/

Yea, Whaley is already messing this search up by not meeting with Toub during his bye week

My feeling about all of that, a lot of which I may agree with, is summed up by looking at it a different way. This is not a great year to hire a coach. There are not a bunch of ex-HC guys looking for another gig. There are no big names, except long time guys like Cowher and Gruden who aren't likely to bite for anyone. So the choices are almost all coordinators. Everyone, especially guys like Whaley who have been in the league a long time know DCs and OCs are crap shoots. There isn't one person in the world who can pick them out as good HC before they do it, including the best mind in football Bill Bellichick. I would bet anything Bellichick would admit he couldn't tell for sure, other than to say his own guys would be great. He's said that before and all failed for the most part.

The point is also that Whaley knows his job is on the line. He has to produce immediately. He doesn't have the three year window a new guy may have. And in those circumstances, most guys (not all), will pick the devil they are familiar with. And that is Lynn. Unless there is something we don't know and Whaley really dislikes Lynn or thinks he will fail because of a fatal flaw. There is no reason to believe that exists. I'm not saying Lynn will be good. But since there is no good choice it's likely Whaley will go with a guy he knows.

I don't necessarily disagree with all that, but my point that your responded to is that Lynn is not the top candidate by default just because he was already here. Whaley's future depends on the success of the franchise, and it starts with this pick. Anyone you assumes Whaley is going to just make up his mind and make Lynn the guy without first interviewing other top candidates is being foolish. And like I said in the post you responded to, Lynn has the least experience of any candidate in terms of positions above just being a positional coach, he made some questionable calls in crunch time of close games including one of the dumbest calls I have seen with our season and playoffs on the line, and he didn't do anything to help himself in the 1 week as interim HC (not saying that week pulled out of the running, but he did nothing that reassured you he was the right guy).

So at this stage, the right move is for Whaley to interview everyone they are interested in, and not just pencil Lynn in by default. It is what is best for Whaley and for the team. I would be pissed if we just gave it to Lynn without thoroughly looking at other options. If ultimately Lynn is the guy chosen, then great, but it better be because he interviewed the best and presented the best case to be the HC of this team, not because we are "familiar with him".

Lynn interviewed with San Francisco today.

I thought he said he wouldn't be the first black applicant for a HC position. He understandably doesn't want to just be a Rooney Rule guy. The article states he was the first candidate of any color to interview to be Chip Kelly's replacement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-interview-anthony-lynn-coaching-job-220038038--nfl.html;_ylt=A0LEVjHOj21Yk5gAHVQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

Edited by hondo in seattle

While this is true, he's also got to be smart enough to consider the long-term ramifications, not just the upcoming year.

As a black man, chances are that he is going to get exactly one shot as a head coach in this league. If he picks poorly and cannot succeed in that first gig, it is not likely he will ever get another opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL.

That's just cold, hard reality and you can bet he is well enough aware of it to take it into consideration.

I usually agree with your takes, and am fairly race sensitive myself, but I cant agree with this. Hue Jackson anyone? Lovie Smith? Romeo Crennel is still highly regarded and was made interim with the Chiefs. Not many other examples, because frankly, this situation hasnt happened much. But good coaches with decent systems will get jobs, regardless of race.

Racism, or even lack of opportunity, in the coaching circles isnt nearly as bad as it was not too far back.