Shrewd Whaley Wins Alliance battle at OBD.

dezertbill

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

Whaley is in more control now than he has ever been.

This isn't dysfunction. That was before when Rex and Brandon had Pegulas ear.

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Well done Mr Whaley. Well done.

I believe this is EXACTLY what happened.

in hindsight....keeping Schwartz as DC would have been much better.

but would Hue Jackson as OC have been better ??...I question this because it's likely that TT never comes and we are stuck with EJ and a litany of veteran never-was types.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Whaley is no dummy

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Can't disagree with any of your post.

MGood luck with the 💩Storm you will get here from the Whaley haters, you are probably more correct than anyone. Too bad the media will never look at this as a theory to that press conference.

Whaley isn't an idiot when it comes to football, he just isn't the best at presenting it publicly.

Rex inherited a top 4 defense, he promised his bosses that he would make it better.

Two years later and with brother Rob aboard the defense it what's dysfunctional, therefore Rex is fired.

It is pretty darn simple but yet so many people seem so angry they don't get an explanation to why Rex was let go. It is obvious and the the owner or DW don't need to say it and won't.

I see it as Brandon a guy that should NOT be involved in anything to do with who ever is on the field weather it be a coach or player schmoozing the Pegula's by telling Rex how to go about getting the edge in conversations prior to the hiring .

I believe Brandon has done that with the last 2 coaching hires, pulled his weight & got the guy he wanted the first go round with Marrone then coached Rex on how to get in good with the Pegs !

I think this is Whaley saying if I'm the guy & I'm going to go down with the ship then let me hire my guy then it will be all on me no one else !! As it should be !

Let me add this why in the world are they not at least trying to talk to Kyle Shannahan ?

One of if not the hottest offense in the league which is his O & the Bills totally overlook him ???

It is pretty darn simple but yet so many people seem so angry they don't get an explanation to why Rex was let go. It is obvious and the the owner or DW don't need to say it and won't.

i doubt a single person, even Rex's wife, asked "why" after he was fired. Unless they don't watch or pay attention to the Jets/Bills over last several years. Edited by YoloinOhio

Kudos to the OP and JW

I still think the drama surrounding all of this is overblown.

If I understand correctly, DW tried to cover his butt in the presser which embarrassed the owner who was forced into damage control speaking with JW. And that's how World War III got started.

It went from dumping Rex to how DW did under cross examination.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I understood and supported hiring Rex Ryan. He was a celebrity coach, and had gotten the Jets to the championship game his first two years. One could say that the Jets failed because they never had a franchise quarterback. But Rex always had a great defense that gave Brady the chills. It seemed like a great hire.

Rex charmed the owner and got the job. The owner perhaps did not care what Whaley thought. He had his man, it was his money, and he perhaps forced Rex down Whaley's throat. Whaley had the team on the verge of something special, with that punk Marrone and the excellent Schwartz. Marrone ran away. Look how well that turned out.

I believe that Rex did not respect Whaley, and went directly to the owner. That's why he dumped Whaley off the call and got himself an early termination. He fired himself. He didn't want to stand on the sidelines as a lame duck, watching EJ Manuel throw a game away. Even though Whaley wasn't involved in the decision directly, it was a victory for him.

Last week's game was not one to win. Losing got Whaley a better draft choice. It also enabled him to finally prove EJ was a mistake...he was horrible. Fare thee well.

Maybe Doug told the owner that he wants to take control of the team again. He had them on the verge. Rex was a giant step backward.

Maybe he played the Staple Singer's "Respect Yourself" as they say, "Get out the way let the gentleman do his thing."

It's Doug Whaley's team now. Let's see what he does.

Can't disagree with any of your post.

MGood luck with the 💩Storm you will get here from the Whaley haters, you are probably more correct than anyone. Too bad the media will never look at this as a theory to that press conference.

Whaley isn't an idiot when it comes to football, he just isn't the best at presenting it publicly.

The media didn't make that pc an unmitigated disaster. I've said this in other threads - does that pc give anyone hope that Whaley has the intelligence and skill to lead the bills out of the desert in which they have wandered for nearly two decades?

This is the more important point. For too long the psyche of this organization has been deficient. It's sad that we reached a point where, to sign our loafing drug addled DT, we had to omit from his contract language cancelling his guaranteed payments in lieu of a drug-related suspension. To sign St. Doug we had to include the ridiculous opt out that precipitated the Rex mess. And now we apparently are satisfied with a GM who may be described as "not an idiot."

I for one want better. We deserve batter. Enough of the Russ/Doug/Rex jock culture. It's time to get some serious, brilliant, and intense people in here who hate losing and who cherish success more than anything else on earth. Again, maybe I'm too hard on people, but I demand more of myself and if the people who work from me, and it's high time that the bills do, too.

Kudos to the OP and JW

I still think the drama surrounding all of this is overblown.

If I understand correctly, DW tried to cover his butt in the presser which embarrassed the owner who was forced into damage control speaking with JW. And that's how World War III got started.

It went from dumping Rex to how DW did under cross examination.

Yes I'm with this....thank you OP for tracing things back and mapping it all out. Two very INlightening posts...I wasn't aware of the meeting back in the day involving Coughlin.

Thanks JW for chiming in with some unbiased INsight...that you say Brandon would be more of a Whaley backer than Rex was something I didn't realize.

Promo....I'm also confused as to what Whaley should have his feet held to the fire over...I've reread things and tried to read between the lines...if you find out please let me know.

A couple of opinions to add:

- since Rex wasn't DW's recommendation, or even if he had faith in him at all, how he would be expected to go to bat for him if he in fact thought Rex going was the best thing for the franchise.

- on the flip side, since it was Pegs decision to hire Rex, how could DW possibly tell his superior, in any diplomatic way, that his decision was wrong and he had made a huge mistake? I think DW's only move was to take the hands off approach and let Pegs come to the conclusion himself.

- It appears that DW watched the coaching situation come full circle and die its own natural death. Almost like a game of corporate survivor. It's not that complicated to see but its beyond comical in the media anymore.

All that said, I am excited to hear DW has control over the current hiring process...I have faith, and really hope he makes the right choice on the coach and they can make the right decisions with the QB position that will in the end get us there.

I don't think the bills are a dumpster fire and believe we're closer than it appears. Exciting times to be a Bill's fan!

Edited by Al Czervik

Yes I'm with this....thank you OP for tracing things back and mapping it all out. Two very INlightening posts...I wasn't aware of the meeting back in the day involving Coughlin.

Thanks JW for chiming in with some unbiased INsight...that you say Brandon would be more of a Whaley backer than Rex was something I didn't realize.

Promo....I'm also confused as to what Whaley should have his feet held to the fire over...I've reread things and tried to read between the lines...if you find out please let me know.

- since Rex wasn't DW's recommendation, or even if he had faith in him at all, how he would be expected to go to bat for him if he in fact thought Rex going was the best thing for the franchise.

- on the flip side, since it was Pegs decision to hire Rex, how could DW possibly tell his superior, in any diplomatic way, that his decision was wrong and he had made a huge mistake? I think DW's only move was to take the hands off approach and let Pegs come to the conclusion himself.

- It appears that DW watched the coaching situation come full circle and die its own natural death. Almost like a game of corporate survivor. It's not that complicated to see but its beyond comical in the media anymore.

All that said, I am excited to hear DW has control over the current hiring process...I have faith, and really hope he makes the right choice on the coach and they can make the right decisions with the QB position that will in the end get us there.

I don't think the bills are a dumpster fire and believe we're closer than it appears. Exciting times to be a Bill's fan!

JW basically believes that Whaley's dadaist performance (with obvious lies to boot) at that PC was bad enough that it forced TP to step up and perform some damage control.

JW basically believes that Whaley's dadaist performance (with obvious lies to boot) at that PC was bad enough that it forced TP to step up and perform some damage control.

Sounds like Pegula doesn't think it was all an overblown media creation.

the "damage control" was an interview with him repeating what Whaley said in the presser, backing up his comments, and providing the specifics of the phone call that led to the coach's dismissal that Whaley wasn't on.

the "damage control" was an interview with him repeating what Whaley said in the presser, backing up his comments, and providing the specifics of the phone call that led to the coach's dismissal that Whaley wasn't on.

True. He didn't contradict anything Whaley said, so I guess Pegula lied, too.

Neither Whaley or Pegula possess the finesse when it comes to dealing with the media. It's uncomfortable to watch at times.

Hey Russ, how much are tickets in section 235?

B-)

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

I agree with this ftr