Sully: A New Low Point For Pegula, Bills

Rico

So let's see if I have this straight: Sully is bitching about the GM press conference not being handled by the owners, but by the GM, because the questions Sully et al. asked were best directed to to the owners, hence inappropriate for the GM's press conference. So obviously, the problem is the Pegulas, and not Sully's et al. ****-ass reporting.

Yes, the Pegulas have a PR issue. But they will continue to have PR issues until "reporters" like Sully unass their heads and learn what a "press conference" is.

HC holds a PC, before coach takes podium Press is told GM will have a PC on Monday. Press proceeds to ask HC questions best answered by GM. Press then complains about the answers.

GM holds a PC. Press proceeds to ask questions best answered by the Owners. Press complains about the answers.

Seems like the main issue is the TBN guys don't know what to ask to who.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always stuck up for Sully....but that press conference yesterday was ridiculous, and most of it came from the press. They were like frat boys at a gang rape. They did the same thing to Rex a few weeks ago, which, honestly, I think is what lead to this awkward ending for the season. How many times did Whaley have to say "no", I'm not trashing Rex, and I am not trashing the owners, just so you idiots can have a story. So, the story becomes the "dumpster fire" because these pieces of excrement couldn't get the story they wanted. Sure, it would be nice if Pegula, Whaley, etc would just say exactly what they think, but how long have these ass-holes been interviewing people in the sports world. Like politicians, the learn to master the art of saying nothing....I give Whaley props for not just standing up and telling them off. They don't owe any of the stuff that the press is insisting to anyone. The only mistake he made yesterday, was not cutting it off at around 15-20 minutes, when it was apparent Sulliivan and company were just going to keep badgering him over the same things, which he was very clearly not going to answer.

They really just wanted Whaley to say "Look, Rex Ryan was fired because he was a terrible coach. The owners were enamored by his bull **** 2 years ago and hired him, if I wanted to keep my job, which was still in question, I had to go along with it. Two years later, the owners have figured out that they made a mistake, and are trying to correct it. Is that so !@#$ing hard to understand? So there, I said it...Rex Ryan stinks, stank, stunk! We made a terrible choice, we are moving on, trying to make a better choice." But Whaley wasn't going to do that.

I am not saying the Bills are not at blame for any of this. I think the Pegulas made a bad mistake, when taking over the Bills (to a lesser degree with the Sabres, because they don't have as high a national profile) in assuming that the sports media in Buffalo was going to treat them like the saviors, that most fans regard them as. They aren't good with the media. If you remember the awkward meeting Terry had with them when he first took over the Bills, and then this past summer, when the feam tried to lay down the law as to what can be covered and what cannot be covered. It is sort of a microcosm of what Trump is going through with the mainstream media right now. The president-elect seems to have taken the attitude that because he won the election, he is "right" about every issue, and questioning him makes them an enemy of the administration. The Peuglas are no where near as savy in this area. The press, and fans (lets be honest) are generally always looking to call "bs" over even the most trivial of issues. I remember Kim Pegula doing what seemed like a fairly harmless interview on GR55 when the Pegulas first bought the team. She was ripped everywhere (even on TBD, I seem to remember there being a mostly nasty thread on the topic) for the way she talked, things she didn't say..it was ridiculous. No wonder they are skittish in dealing with the media...especially this small market media, which has little else to obsess about.

Also, something that I haven't really heard anyone mention...though I don't live in Buffalo any more, I go home once or twice a year. I think there is a real resentment among Buffalo elite-establishment, toward the Pegulas, for how much credit they get (particularly in national media) for "saving the Bills", and moreover, for being the most high-profile figures in a "Buffalo renaissance". If you are in any proximity to the fine arts scene in Buffalo, and you mention the Pegulas and there is only a begrudging appreciation for their efforts, and even some rolling of eyes. It makes some sense to me, that the Buffalo News is more aligned with "old Buffalo" establishment, than they are with the Pegulas, who are relatively new on the scene.

If it's true that Rex had a private meeting with Terry and ended up quitting/getting fired, it's not out of the question that he was the source of the leaks.

Agreed Promo...I think it is most likely that Rex was the source! He is as insecure as anyone...it shows in his brash confidence.

Edited by Buftex

I am going to bed in a minute.

As I have mentioned before, I do not have photos or a recording of the conversation with LaCanfora. In my view, there would be three sources of leaks in general: Rex and the coaches; the Pegulas; or Doug Whaley and his people.

I think that we can all agree that Rex did not leak this. I think it is a very safe bet that the media shy Pegulas did not leak this. That leaves us with the most likely suspect in any event: Doug Whaley or people close to him.

Typically, you would follow the money. In this case, you consider who would most benefit from placing the blame at Rex's feet even though you have been around for more of the losing. Who now has more power? Again, I think it is both a reasonable and fairly safe bet that Doug Whaley was the source of these leaks.

In case some of you guys still think that the leaks did not undermine the team, Jerome Felton has this to say:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jerome-felton-bills-media-leaks-rex-ryan-firing-2016-season-struggles/wlv5tnlo5pro1oiwtr9bwidij?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As for crusades, I do not recall starting one thread on this issue. Over the course of the past several weeks and months, there have been multiple anti Rex threads (many on the same day). I am not shy about responding. At one time, I was told that I was one of only two people that supported Rex staying. Of course someone else started that poll and we discovered that that was not true.

Interestingly, I came across this thread in which Fred Jackson says that Whaley is the only guy in the organization who was dishonest with him.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180434-fred-says-whaley-dishonest-with-him/

As an aside, it is interesting who started that thread.

There also is this from that time:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/01/report-bills-g-m-went-rogue-in-cutting-fred-jackson/

Hmmm.

As I have mentioned on several occasions, I have no love for Sullen, Bucky, et al. I am embarrassed about how Doug Whaley handled himself even with all of the extra time he had to prepare. Compare this to the Sabres end of year press conference from a few years ago when I was shouting at my computer in favor of Darcy and Ted Black when the guys from TBN went on the attack.

For those of you that are happy that Rex is gone and the way things have gone down at OBD, reality is going to set in. I just watched Louis Riddick (Rob's brother by the way) say a lot of the same things that Bedard, Jason Cole, and I have said about the way the Bills job will now sadly be looked at by others around the league. You guys will say, who cares what anyone says. I think that potential candidates will care.

Rex is gone. You guys should celebrate. Good for you. Rex apparently was the only impediment to the Bills 11-5 roster competing for the Super Bowl. Now that Rex is gone, I fully expect that we will be competing for the Super Bowl for several years to come, we will defeat world terrorism, and there will be world peace.

we don't always agree and drag out several arguments... but thanks for your efforts to reply thoroughly with a well worded retort

HC holds a PC, before coach takes podium Press is told GM will have a PC on Monday. Press proceeds to ask HC questions best answered by GM. Press then complains about the answers.

GM holds a PC. Press proceeds to ask questions best answered by the Owners. Press complains about the answers.

Seems like the main issue is the TBN guys don't know what to ask to who.

HC gets fired and interim coach holds presser. Press naturally is going to ask about firing and coach has no answers. GM holds presser. Press naturally is going to ask about firing since coach couldn't answer, and GM says he speaks for the owners but has no answers, or is even interested in why Rex was fired. And the owners who appearently are the only people with the answers don't have a press conference. So it's the presses fault that they keep asking and don't get answers? Please.

It should never be about facing the media. They should never care about the media, the media doesn't care about them.

I fundamentally disagree with this perspective. Let's leave it at that.

Bills are a dysfunctional mess.

There really is no arguing this.

Yep. The rest is noise.

I've always stuck up for Sully....but that press conference yesterday was ridiculous, and most of it came from the press. They were like frat boys at a gang rape. They did the same thing to Rex a few weeks ago, which, honestly, I think is what lead to this awkward ending for the season. How many times did Whaley have to say "no", I'm not trashing Rex, and I am not trashing the owners, just so you idiots can have a story. So, the story becomes the "dumpster fire" because these pieces of excrement couldn't get the story they wanted. Sure, it would be nice if Pegula, Whaley, etc would just say exactly what they think, but how long have these ass-holes been interviewing people in the sports world. Like politicians, the learn to master the art of saying nothing....I give Whaley props for not just standing up and telling them off. They don't owe any of the stuff that the press is insisting to anyone. The only mistake he made yesterday, was not cutting it off at around 15-20 minutes, when it was apparent Sulliivan and company were just going to keep badgering him over the same things, which he was very clearly not going to answer.

They really just wanted Whaley to say "Look, Rex Ryan was fired because he was a terrible coach. The owners were enamored by his bull **** 2 years ago and hired him, if I wanted to keep my job, which was still in question, I had to go along with it. Two years later, the owners have figured out that they made a mistake, and are trying to correct it. Is that so !@#$ing hard to understand? So there, I said it...Rex Ryan stinks, stank, stunk! We made a terrible choice, we are moving on, trying to make a better choice." But Whaley wasn't going to do that.

I am not saying the Bills are not at blame for any of this. I think the Pegulas made a bad mistake, when taking over the Bills (to a lesser degree with the Sabres, because they don't have as high a national profile) in assuming that the sports media in Buffalo was going to treat them like the saviors, that most fans regard them as. They aren't good with the media. If you remember the awkward meeting Terry had with them when he first took over the Bills, and then this past summer, when the feam tried to lay down the law as to what can be covered and what cannot be covered. It is sort of a microcosm of what Trump is going through with the mainstream media right now. The president-elect seems to have taken the attitude that because he won the election, he is "right" about every issue, and questioning him makes them an enemy of the administration. The Peuglas are no where near as savy in this area. The press, and fans (lets be honest) are generally always looking to call "bs" over even the most trivial of issues. I remember Kim Pegula doing what seemed like a fairly harmless interview on GR55 when the Pegulas first bought the team. She was ripped everywhere (even on TBD, I seem to remember there being a mostly nasty thread on the topic) for the way she talked, things she didn't say..it was ridiculous. No wonder they are skittish in dealing with the media...especially this small market media, which has little else to obsess about.

Also, something that I haven't really heard anyone mention...though I don't live in Buffalo any more, I go home once or twice a year. I think there is a real resentment among Buffalo elite-establishment, toward the Pegulas, for how much credit they get (particularly in national media) for "saving the Bills", and moreover, for being the most high-profile figures in a "Buffalo renaissance". If you are in any proximity to the fine arts scene in Buffalo, and you mention the Pegulas and there is only a begrudging appreciation for their efforts, and even some rolling of eyes. It makes some sense to me, that the Buffalo News is more aligned with "old Buffalo" establishment, than they are with the Pegulas, who are relatively new on the scene.

Agreed Promo...I think it is most likely that Rex was the source! He is as insecure as anyone...it shows in his brash confidence.

Excellent points on the News representing the old guard of Buffalo. It's not just the Bills and Sabres who get that treatment. UB was raked over the coals for rebranding itself as "New York's Flagship."

DeCesare was the lead attack dog in that campaign, tormenting new AD Danny White for "slapping Buffalo in the face" with the rebranding, and firing beloved local basketball icon Reggie Witherspoon.

Never mind that UB basketball won a conference title (for the first time) under Bobby Hurley and again under his successor Nate Oats. New AD Allan Greene eventually kowtowed to the News and changed everything back to "Buffalo." Only Buffalo can find insult in representing the entire state in college athletics. :doh: And the Buffalo News feeds that victim mentality.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't understand why "the media" doesn't understand what is going on over at OBD - I just read the 3 pages of posts here and 99% seem to see this the way I do. It's pretty simple and because of the hullabaloo, it's quite apparent that the BN has an ax to grind (evidenced by the sarcasm, bitterness and purposeful and childish misinterpretation of what was said (very similar to 'arguments' I have with my children when they don't get their way). I won't rehash what everyone has said, but I am generally in agreement. Are things perfect over there - no. That's why Rex lost his job. When he took over the Offense was our big worry. It got better - kudos to Rex, Doug, et al. However the Defense got worse. After year 1, rumor was, there was an ultimatum. Whether there was or not is debatable, however what's not is the fact the defense didn't improve.

So after the weekly 3-way-call Rex asked to speak to Terry alone and basically said if you're going to fire me do it now. (Warrow's interview w/Pegula confirms this.) Pegula did. Because he is still going to pay Rex millions, I don't think there was any rancor on the call, so they also discussed how the last week of the season should be held - Rex said A-Lynn should be IHC for a week. SIMPLE.

Then Terry calls Doug an gives him the news. Doug was't "privy" to what was said. In fact he was purposefully excluded and there was nothing wrong with that. Why the BN had to ask what Doug does over there if he wasn't involved in the firing decision was really mean-spirited and insulting. If I were Whaley, I wouldn't take questions from the BN, just the other journalists, and when asked why, I would say that until they act like grown-ups, they will not be included. As for the 'benching' of TT, we all know it was a business decision - no further explanation needed, but Whaley added, it was also to see EJ and maybe CJ. The fact he did not literally say "contract issue" sent the BN over the edge again and said that by not involving A-Lynn in that decision was unfair to him. BS-BS-BS. The boss says you're running the show on Sunday and we're sitting TT for business reasons - then you know what you gotta do. I don't think A-Lynn (or anyone at OBD) thought the media would ask him GM questions or that on Monday, the media would ask Whaley owner questions - but that's the media for you.

As said above, I would just cut-off any media member who presented his/her questions in a hostile manner. It's OK to ask a difficult question but there's no need to abandon civility. This is why the media sessions are dumpster fires and if I were Pegula, I would cut them off until they behave - just like we do it with our children.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Sullivan is a hack and only a hack... If the guy had some objection-ism over the years I'd say something positive but I wish the guy would just die already.. I know the state of the bills I don't need him to provide me with his over bearing story lines

As for the bills season ending presser.. Who cares.. the season was a disaster and the coach needed to go. Ryan was a joke hire from the get go. Wasn't a fan of the hire from day 1 and that is all on the Pegula's.

As for Whaley.. How is he going to answer questions. He had little input with the HC hire we all know that. That's a Pegula decision.... Pegula's were right to fix there own mess, and Whaley was right not to interject till the Pegulas themselves set it straight. He didn't negotiate Contracts so money situations are not his doing.. This again can only change with the Pegula's making those changes

SO I won't be throwing Whaley under any busses now.. If hew truly is in charge of it all then now the clock is ticking on Whaley he will get 2 more years to right this ship 3 at most... after that he will be gone...... His HC choice has to be the right one

HOW IN THE HELL DOES ANY SEASONED HC TAKE A TOP 10 DEFENSE AND MAKE IT A BOTTOM 5 DEFENSE...... seriously we only needed O improvement 2 years ago. Now we have an O that scores passing is still weak, but they put up points regardless, but now a D that can't stop a flea

Whaleys' job was to get players to improve that O while Rex kept the D functioning at a high level. The O was definitley improved, and Whley actually found great defense playersto add for Ryan and yet still Ryan drove the d into the ground

Edited by ddaryl

So people are actually justifying/defending that awful mess that happened earlier today?

It's possible to critical of all involved here. The Bills for being ill-prepared (or not prepared at all) yesterday from a public relations standpoint, and our esteemed WNY sports media figures for continuing to be grizzled old cranks with axes to grind.

I got into a Twitter battle with some media types yesterday over the PC. They really believe they are the chosen ones and can't believe anyone would question their motives. Talk about a herd mentality, they all close ranks when one of their own gets attacked.

I got into a Twitter battle with some media types yesterday over the PC. They really believe they are the chosen ones and can't believe anyone would question their motives. Talk about a herd mentality, they all close ranks when one of their own gets attacked.

NOBODY circles the wagons like old mediocre reporters in dead-end gigs!