Sully: A New Low Point For Pegula, Bills

Rico

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So people are actually justifying/defending that awful mess that happened earlier today?

You know the Koolaid crowd. Cant let anyone get the best of their heroes.

What articles do have an impact? What a neutered comment.

So if his is a neutered comment then yours must be as well. Mine also. Edited by TANK2

I just checked all the twitter responses to Whaley's presser. Basically all the twits are saying that Whaley, Pegula and/or Bills are dysfunctional if/when they do not answer questions with the answers the media believed they should have received. Then, other media pick it up, re-tweet it and before long it becomes a foregone conclusion (fact). No wonder journalism is at an all time low in respectability. Sad indeed. If I'm the Bills, I am not sure I would act any differently. You want to, but know you shouldn't cut the media off. You want to end pressers when the questions get nasty/personal, but then you look inaccessible and thin skinned.

The Bills and Sabres have always laid out HOW they will conduct pressers and in fact, the HC's and GM's either have radio shows or make regular appearances on them. The Pegula's rarely, but occasionally will do interviews - but not with the BN because they are so unpleasant to deal with. (See Warrow interview w/T.Pegula.)

The answer is simple, the editors at the BN need to tell their reporters to be more respectful of their interview subjects. They can ask tough questions, just don't act like a$$ wholes when you ask them.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Sully is such a drama queen.

"It was quite possibly the worst moment in the history of the franchise.... Welcome to the abyss, the new bottom."

The Bills just finished a 7-9 season and fired the coach. The guy not responsible for the firing - but responsible for the next hire - can't adroitly answer questions about the firing. And this is the new low for the franchise?

So this is lower than when our greatest player ever slashed up a couple people?

Lower than when the Bills went 1-10 under Harvey Johnson as Head Coach?

Lower than when the Bills insanely rehired Johnson a couple years later only to see him go 1-13 this time?

Lower than Wide Right?

Lower than seeing Kevin Everett paralyzed?

Lower than when Sully became a beat writer for the BN?

Edited by hondo in seattle

I just checked all the twitter responses to Whaley's presser. Basically all the twits are saying that Whaley, Pegula and/or Bills are dysfunctional if/when they do not answer questions with the answers the media believed they should have received. Then, other media pick it up, re-tweet it and before long it becomes a foregone conclusion (fact). No wonder journalism is at an all time low in respectability. Sad indeed. If I'm the Bills, I am not sure I would act any differently. You want to, but know you shouldn't cut the media off. You want to end pressers when the questions get nasty/personal, but then you look inaccessible and thin skinned.

The Bills and Sabres have always laid out HOW they will conduct pressers and in fact, the HC's and GM's either have radio shows or make regular appearances on them. The Pegula's rarely, but occasionally will do interviews - but not with the BN because they are so unpleasant to deal with. (See Warrow interview w/T.Pegula.)

The answer is simple, the editors at the BN need to tell their reporters to be more respectful of their interview subjects. They can ask tough questions, just don't act like a$$ wholes when you ask them.

I agree with your assessment. The most telling moment of the problem with BN is when Tim Graham (I think), asked what what exactly Whaley's job was, incredibly obnoxious. Graham then tried to back away from the statement.

This whole thing is like whe someone is trying to get gossip from someone that won't give it. So they then make up gossip about that person.

Edited by chris heff

I'm still failing to see why there's so much drama about this.

It all seemed pretty straight forward to me.

because the press feels entitled to know every nuance of the process...a timeline to the second of all involved........when did the first thought cross your mind that rex was going to be fired....whose counsel did you take and what did they advise......was everyone in full agreement.....when did you make a final decision....who knew ahead of time.

Edited by papazoid

Sully and the rest of the TBN crew should be forced to observe and shadow John Wawrow for a month so they could learn how professionals in their profession act and behave...

This.

Sully is such a drama queen.

"It was quite possibly the worst moment in the history of the franchise.... Welcome to the abyss, the new bottom."

The Bills just finished a 7-9 season and fired the coach. The guy not responsible for the firing - but responsible for the next hire - can't adroitly answer questions about the firing. And this is the new low for the franchise?

So this is lower than when our greatest player ever slashed up a couple people?

Lower than when the Bills went 1-10 under Harvey Johnson as Head Coach?

Lower than when the Bills insanely rehired Johnson a couple years later only to see him go 1-13 this time?

Lower than Wide Right?

Lower than seeing Kevin Everett paralyzed?

Lower than when Sully became a beat writer for the BN?

Sullivan is a hack.

we don't always agree and drag out several arguments... but thanks for your efforts to reply thoroughly with a well worded retort

Thank you for taking the post seriously and what you stated in your response. I really appreciate it.

because the press feels entitled to know every nuance of the process...a timeline to the second of all involved........when did the first thought cross your mind that rex was going to be fired....whose counsel did you take and what did they advise......was everyone in full agreement.....when did you make a final decision....who new ahead of time.

There is a belief that you are answerable to the press because they represent the people. That is admirable when it's politics or government or a company polluting a public water supply. It's completely misapplied in sports.

There is a belief that you are answerable to the press because they represent the people. That is admirable when it's politics or government or a company polluting a public water supply. It's completely misapplied in sports.

Do Sully and Bucky really think they represent me?

Crazy, if true. Sully's an embarrassment to Buffalo, IMHO.

Rex-o-phile/Whaley-phobes, please note: Unless you believe Pegs is a liar, here is why Whaley didn't know Rex was fired. After the weekly three-way call, Rex requested a private meeting with Terry about his status where he was told he would be terminated. Let me say this again, REX ASKED FOR A MEETING THAT EXCLUDED WHALEY. At his request, it was PRIVATE, one on one with the owner. Unless DW has a secret mic in Terry's office, how the hell would he know Rex was done until Pegs called him?

Because DW didn't know in advance that Rex was going to demand to know his status going forward, or that Pegs would give him an honest answer, the media - local and national - is using this to excoriate the Bills as "a dumpster fire," and to typify Whaley as an unimportant toady. Really? If any further evidence was necessary to prove the local media is a collection of incompetent hacks, and the national media lazy drones whose depth of knowledge about the Bills is nearly non-existent, this should do it.

I am honestly confused here: what is the alleged dysfunction? That they fired the coach that every shaper of public opinion demanded be fired?

If the GM had given a smooth answer to every question, would these columnists have praised him, or merely dismissed him as a smooth talker?

Ralph was attacked for underpaying on coaches and facilities. The Pegulas paid top dollar for Ryan, and allowed him the most lavish coaching staff in the league. He was a bad choice, the team has to go back to the drawing board. So?

"It's my right to run this thing into the ground." Awesome.

You might not like it, but it IS his right.

It would suck even more to be an owner, bring in a "Football guy" to run the entire show and still fail (all while being hands-off). If I were an owner, I'd want to have some say on how and by whom things are being run...

These are people who are writing about sports in a local paper in a small market, we're not talking about people at the top of their profession. As in many other professions were there is a "big league" and minor leagues, the people in the lower reaches tend to pump themselves up so they can feel validated. I'm sure TBN reporters think they are "holding the organization accountable" and being mavericks asking "tough questions." The problem is, these reporter aren't good at their jobs. I got more information from Jenny Vrentas and Wawrow's articles than I did from that whole 40 minute press conference. I didn't need a 40 minute press conference to tell me that the organizational structure here is a poor one; I have been posting for weeks about how Whaley has little real power and how I think it's a huge mistake not to empower your GM.

I am honestly confused here: what is the alleged dysfunction? That they fired the coach that every shaper of public opinion demanded be fired?

If the GM had given a smooth answer to every question, would these columnists have praised him, or merely dismissed him as a smooth talker?

Ralph was attacked for underpaying on coaches and facilities. The Pegulas paid top dollar for Ryan, and allowed him the most lavish coaching staff in the league. He was a bad choice, the team has to go back to the drawing board. So?

The only dysfunction is among the press corp who are apoplectic over the Bills not asking "how high" when they say "jump!"