Sully: A New Low Point For Pegula, Bills

Rico

These are people who are writing about sports in a local paper in a small market, we're not talking about people at the top of their profession. As in many other professions were there is a "big league" and minor leagues, the people in the lower reaches tend to pump themselves up so they can feel validated. I'm sure TBN reporters think they are "holding the organization accountable" and being mavericks asking "tough questions." The problem is, these reporter aren't good at their jobs. I got more information from Jenny Vrentas and Wawrow's articles than I did from that whole 40 minute press conference. I didn't need a 40 minute press conference to tell me that the organizational structure here is a poor one; I have been posting for weeks about how Whaley has little real power and how I think it's a huge mistake not to empower your GM.

I was making this same point in one of the threads last night. I've worked in radio, in a major market, so I know a little bit about the business. There is a very wide gulf between talent levels in a major media market vs. smaller cities. So we end up with these medium talents for whom Buffalo is a terminal gig. And they sit there for years, decades, completely clogging up a pipeline that desperately needs talented, fresh blood and new perspectives.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have mentioned before, I do not have photos or a recording of the conversation with LaCanfora. In my view, there would be three sources of leaks in general: Rex and the coaches; the Pegulas; or Doug Whaley and his people.

I think that we can all agree that Rex did not leak this. I think it is a very safe bet that the media shy Pegulas did not leak this. That leaves us with the most likely suspect in any event: Doug Whaley or people close to him.

Typically, you would follow the money. In this case, you consider who would most benefit from placing the blame at Rex's feet even though you have been around for more of the losing. Who now has more power? Again, I think it is both a reasonable and fairly safe bet that Doug Whaley was the source of these leaks.

This is the fundamental logical fallacy I've pointed out to you before, and for some reason you seem unwilling to acknowledge or address. There's a whole 'nother group of people in that building, a very large group, you don't mention:

Russ Brandon and his people. They include Berchtold, Carpenter, Lamattina, and a whole host of others, who are different than Whaley or people close to him. These are not publicity shy people, nor do they necessarily have any particular loyalty to the Pegulas or to Whaley. They predate them in the organization by several decades.

It simply does not follow logically that if Rex/coaches and Pegulas didn't leak information, it's most likely Whaley and his organization.

Moreover, it does not benefit Whaley at all to undermine, or even to be seen as undermining, the current head coach of the Buffalo Bills, unless his goal is to be fired in 2 years or less.

In what way does it make Whaley look better if Rex fails? None.

Sullivan's hit job was just dripping with bile. He likes to be the center of attention and wanted dearly to beat up on the Pegulas in front of his media buds. He's like the fallen angel in the depths of Hades shaking his fist and screaming "from Hell's heart I stab at thee."

These are people who are writing about sports in a local paper in a small market, we're not talking about people at the top of their profession. As in many other professions were there is a "big league" and minor leagues, the people in the lower reaches tend to pump themselves up so they can feel validated. I'm sure TBN reporters think they are "holding the organization accountable" and being mavericks asking "tough questions." The problem is, these reporter aren't good at their jobs. I got more information from Jenny Vrentas and Wawrow's articles than I did from that whole 40 minute press conference. I didn't need a 40 minute press conference to tell me that the organizational structure here is a poor one; I have been posting for weeks about how Whaley has little real power and how I think it's a huge mistake not to empower your GM.

Twenty four hours after the PC and outrage with the press and/or the Bills FO is still going strong in this and other threads.

It's amazing to me because I went into the press conference with low expectations that I'd learn anything of value. A day later, my impression is that Whaley and Pegula knew the story they wanted to tell but Whaley was ill-prepared and ill-suited to deliver the message. So then Pegula goes into damage control mode to re-deliver the message through Wawrow and it comes off better. Whether you're buying into the story they're telling is a separate matter to me.

The problem in my eyes is that too much of the press are sharks in the water, sniffing for blood and attacking at any sign of weakness. Whaley provided that in spades yesterday.

But it isn't just the Buffalo media. If you thought the reporter who asked Whaley what his responsibilities were was being unprofessional, how about the reporter who asked the 49ers owner if he should fire himself:

/http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/when-asked-why-he-wouldnt-be-fired-the-49ers-owner-gives-a-simple-response/

Or how about Pro Football Talk taking a shot at the Cowboys over Christmas orders that didn't arrive in time:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/cowboys-fans-salty-over-orders-that-didnt-arrive-by-christmas/

This is the fundamental logical fallacy I've pointed out to you before, and for some reason you seem unwilling to acknowledge or address. There's a whole 'nother group of people in that building, a very large group, you don't mention:

Russ Brandon and his people. They include Berchtold, Carpenter, Lamattina, and a whole host of others, who are different than Whaley or people close to him. These are not publicity shy people, nor do they necessarily have any particular loyalty to the Pegulas or to Whaley. They predate them in the organization by several decades.

It simply does not follow logically that if Rex/coaches and Pegulas didn't leak information, it's most likely Whaley and his organization.

Moreover, it does not benefit Whaley at all to undermine, or even to be seen as undermining, the current head coach of the Buffalo Bills, unless his goal is to be fired in 2 years or less.

In what way does it make Whaley look better if Rex fails? None.

I simply disagree for all of the reasons why I have stated whether you think it is logical or fallacious etc. Brandon could be a guy, but I view him and DW as somewhat joined at the hip.

Whether Whaley has been benefited by undermining the HC or whether he looks good if Rex is the one whom ownership believes is at fault? The questions answer themselves. To the extent ownership was going to blame anyone, there would be essentially two choices on the football side: (1) the GM/FO; or (2) the HC.

In the end, ownership decided to place the blame on option 2. Clearly, this benefited those who otherwise could be blamed (option 1). We disagree as to how ownership got to that point. So be it.

In the end, Doug Whaley has his job and his influence and power have (reportedly) increased. After yesterday, I am more concerned than before. I do not know what is worse - DW working to undermine Rex with ownership and the media (my view) or the narrative that is being pushed that DW had little to do with either the hiring or firing and did not care to know the reasons why the NFL coach of his team had been fired.

As for whether the leaks undermined the team and Rex, I linked an interview with Felton in another post. Whoever leaked to the media (particularly LaCanfora) undermined the team according to Felton.

I really, really hope that I am either wrong about Whaley or that he goes through a transformation. I also hope that what has happened does not limit us in our coaching search. I have way to much invested in this team - both emotionally and financially.

Ultimately, I really hope that I am wrong and all of the guys who wanted Rex fired and have fallen in love with Doug Whaley are correct.

You can now respond and get in the last word. We just disagree. You and I are not going to be able to convince each other otherwise. It is ok to have a difference of opinion.

You'll have no argument either way.

Rex won't be coaching in the league anymore. He'll be on TV next year.

A lot of people wanted Pegula to clean house entirely. Not just Rex. Still Rex who is labeled as a defensive guru sucked his two years here as a defensive coach. Get over it.

Believe it or not, this bit ("Get over it") did not sway me to your side of your crusade.

Ultimately, I really hope that I am wrong and all of the guys who wanted Rex fired and have fallen in love with Doug Whaley are correct.

I don't see anyone here in love with Doug Whaley. He could well have been fired too and only probably the fact that the owners recognised they have neutered him previously by imposing the structure that they imposed has bought him another chance. But Doug Whaley wasn't responsible for all the mistakes, penalties, confusion and bad coaching that we saw out there on the football field in the past two seasons. That was all on Rex Ryan - that is why he had to go.