AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

I agree 100%, but Whaley didn't do himself any favors with the "I haven't thought about it" b.s. Whaley could have stifled the torch/pitchfork crowd if he'd have just come out and said something like this:

"Terry Pegula made the decision to file Rex Ryan. Terry and I have talked consistently over the course of the season about the team's performance, but at no time did he ask me if I felt the coach should be retained or fired. Rex reported to Terry, not to me. I will support whoever the head coach is, and I believe I supported Rex to the best of my ability. We're all disappointed it came to this, but my focus now is on finding the best coach to lead this team forward. Questions?"

It amazes me how poor these guys are at stuff like this.

eball. you should be a HC candidate...I hope you are working in the marketing department of your organization. You know how to dance to the tune!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a mess.

The owner fires the HC and doesn't let the GM have a say in the matter...so he is left in the wind to explain to the media

The GM benches the starting QB and doesn't give a reason to the HC... so he is left in the wind to explain to explain to the media

I have doubts about any solid head coaching prospect or coaching assistant wanting to be involved in this mess of a front office.

Yep, Terry says the team isn't far off... which is exactly what Buddy said in taking over the team in 2010! In Buddy's first year as GM the Bills went 4-12. Meanwhile, between then and now the 49ers hire Harbaugh and go to a SB only to fall to 2-14 from listening to a stupid GM.

What a mess.

The owner fires the HC and doesn't let the GM have a say in the matter...so he is left in the wind to explain to the media

The GM benches the starting QB and doesn't give a reason to the HC... so he is left in the wind to explain to explain to the media

I have doubts about any solid head coaching prospect or coaching assistant wanting to be involved in this mess of a front office.

Yep, Terry says the team isn't far off... which is exactly what Buddy said in taking over the team in 2010! In Buddy's first year as GM the Bills went 4-12. Meanwhile, between then and now the 49ers hire Harbaugh and go to a SB only to fall to 2-14 from listening to a stupid GM.

It's all PR gaffes. Which means the perception is worse than the reality.

Context:

Rex's defense was better against common opponents than Schwartz's defense even with all of the injuries/suspensions and even though PFF rates the Eagles's starters higher than the Bills' defensive starters.

As far as I know, Rex was not there on Sunday and that was the biggest cluster f*&k I have seen. It looks like Rex was keeping it all together.

Pittsburgh had Jay Ajayi run for 200 yards against them the week before the Bills and had problems with the wrong number of players on the field against the Bills . . . .

In the end, less than two years is not enough, and I would like to see how he could have done without the injuries, suspensions, whispering campaigns, and leaks to the media minutes before a game . . . .

Context. 6 years of non winning seasons. As many 200 yard rushers against in 1 year as in all the previous years of this organisations history. A defense that he said was "a little disappointing" when ranked 4th. The penalties, the confusion, 10 or 12 on the field so often, the lack of fundamentals.....

I don't understand anyone making a defense of this man.

Context. 6 years of non winning seasons. As many 200 yard rushers against in 1 year as in all the previous years of this organisations history. A defense that he said was "a little disappointing" when ranked 4th. The penalties, the confusion, 10 or 12 on the field so often, the lack of fundamentals.....

But our stats were better against the Browns than Schwartz's were. All the arrows were pointing up while things were being held together by Rex.

That was many yesterdays ago so who cares? Ownership has confidence in Whaley and that's what matters at this juncture. We'll see who they get in for interviews this time. It's on him now with no more excuses.

Thats what i thought, till he could not confirm the structure. That Coach reports to GM and Gm owns responsibility for the results. Having the Coach and GM as equals as they did last two years might have been line for the learning curve but I feel there should be a clear delineation of power

eball. you should be a HC candidate...I hope you are working in the marketing department of your organization. You know how to dance to the tune!

I agree. Eball's dialog would have been perfect. As for any of Whaley's PR idiosyncrasies, his choice of our next HC makes or breaks his career. No amount of public speaking classes will alter this.

You mean his own continuity talk?

“You have to have continuity,” Pegula told USA TODAY Sports during the NFL meetings this week. “I don’t care if you’re drilling oil in gas wells or you’re running a sports team. If you keep changing things, nothing’s going to work.”

That was just over 2 months ago..

And yet, a dry hole is a dry hole. How long are you going to keep drilling?

It's interesting to see Terry sat down with a real journalist(JW) as opposed to the clowns that work for the local media. That can't sit well with them. Maybe that is why he is being criticized as an owner.

They are being criticized because they are handling this situation very poorly and because there is a glaring lack of transparency regarding who makes decisions, organizational structure, and team vision.

With regards to him talking to Wawrow:

It was a week after they had fired Ryan, allowing them the time to craft their own story as to how everything went down. They are not getting ripped on a local level. They are being criticized nationally.

Amazing what happens when you know the meaning of being a professional in your line of work and not a petulant little child running around stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum when thigns don't go their way like many of the others do...

Agree. It is hard to get any facts from the BN because of its crusade against the Pegulas. While it is clear that the Pegulas and Whaley-- who is not a public speaker-- have handled this badly from a PR perspective, there really is not much of a story here.

The facts as distilled from Wawrow and Whaley's news conference are as follows: The Pegulas believe the defense on this team is a disaster, which is terribly disappointing as they hired Rex believing him to be a defensive coach stud who could take the 2014 defense to new levels. Terry believes TT is an OK QB--he'd like better but knows we could do worse--but it is hard to judge him fairly when the defense is a sieve.

There were discussions for a while about Rex being fired given the foregoing problems--including Whaley. His job status was TBD after year end, and there was a good chance he would be fired. Last Tuesday, however, Rex forced the issue with Pegula after Rex asked Whaley to drop off the line. Given the situation, Terry said look Rex you might well be fired, yadda yadda yadda, Terry did not want to mislead Rex so he let him go. Walking out the door, Terry says what do we do about Sunday against the Jets, Rex says "I don't give an eff, Lynn is the only guy left in the building use him, I'm going to watch the Clemson game."

Whaley is somewhat surprised because there was supposed to be an e v a l on coaching at year end, but Terry fired Rex early. Shock to Whaley, no. But did not do planned e v a l. His explanation in PC is lame because he can't speak well.

Pegulas like Whaley, as even though he is a terrible PR guy, they think he knows football and are giving him the keys to the car on a coach. Decision on TT will be based on new coach and what options they have-- not deciding now.

Now all that may be dysfunction and I don't agree with Pegula on some things, but that is what happened. The BN hyperventilating shows what a dysfunctional news paper it is. Kudos to Mr. Wawrow for giving us some facts!!! Casey

Edited by Casey D

"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well." ----Spur of the moment decision made by owner who's inner circle did not include his GM He's so in over his head.

Relax, it's not that big of a deal. He owns the team and decided to fire an under performing employee when put on the spot. WTF was he thinking?

But our stats were better against the Browns than Schwartz's were. All the arrows were pointing up while things were being held together by Rex.

Seahawks, Bengals, Ravens, and Browns, but hey, don't let a point that you can make out of context hold you back.

Based on what you and others have written, Rex was the only impediment to the Bills going to the Super Bowl with our 11-5 roster. Now that he is gone, I fully expect that we will be competing for Super Bowls for years to come beginning next season.

Based on what you and others have written, Rex was the only impediment to the Bills going to the Super Bowl with our 11-5 roster. Now that he is gone, I fully expect that we will be competing for Super Bowls for years to come beginning next season.

You keep making this same point over and over again...and it makes no sense, no matter how many times you say it.

Seahawks, Bengals, Ravens, and Browns, but hey, don't let a point that you can make out of context hold you back.

DVOA - Defense

Pettine/Schwartz

2013 - 4th

2014 - 2nd

Rex

2015 - 24th

2016 - 26th

Game over.

Steelers don't count?

And taking 5/16 of a season isn't out of context?

And comparing two completely different teams isn't out of context?

And taking the #4 defense that was "disappointing" and turning it into a barely functional unit isn't relevant?

And pointing to a week 17 meaningless debacle as proof that "Rex was holding things together" isn't COMPLETELY ridiculous?

Edited by 4merper4mer

In your own mind maybe.

The Bills were actually a bad 7-9. They were lucky to play the 4 worst teams in the NFL (cleveland, la, sf, and jax) and a Pats team that was starting a 4-fingered rookie third stringer. Also, cincy lost their best player (by far and away) on the first play from scrimmage. The bills do NOT win that game with a healthy AJ Green - the Bills CBs aren't good enough to handle him (no one was this season). Don't lose sight of that. This could easily have been a 4-5 win team if they played next year's sked this year instead of next.

The Pettine Defense was that good? I seem to remember getting gashed in the run game quite a bit.

It was that good. They gave up some rushing yards but more than compensated in every other category.