Perhaps Buffalo needs to Draft a competent Sports Media

gjv001

What do you think happened?

Who knows? But if nothing else, give the GM better rehearsed lines than the ones he had. My god - he had over a week to prepare. PR 101.

As you know, the issue I'm following more closely than all of the others is the Tyrod question. That one will tell me more than the other ones will.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time anyone at TBN broke a story with anyone. Tim Graham spends most of his free time arguing with people on Twitter. Sully hasn't broken a story in more than a decade. I have no idea what Carucci's doing.

The only journalists doing any work at all are Sal Capaccio and John Warwow of the AP.

The most tired act among active, passionate Bills fans is blaming the media. It calls to mind what a very close book editor friend of mine (at Princeton University Press) told me years ago -- the first instinct of populism (both left and right, but honestly, mostly the right) is to always, always blame the media first. It's a tried and true tactic that is as effective as it is inaccurate.

Sorry for sounding pissy about this -- seriously. I'm just so sick of people attacking the media and not factoring in that the Jerry Sullivans of the world have covered nearly two decades of dysfunction. How could they not be scarred by the constant failure, and more importantly, how could they not be jaundiced by a dog-and-pony show in which the left paw doesn't know what the right hoof is doing?

This is intelligent writing

but misses the point all together for some too. We don't mind having the media. We just don't want what they think we want. We want info. We don't want their soap opera crap.

Who knows? But if nothing else, give the GM better rehearsed lines than the ones he had. My god - he had over a week to prepare. PR 101.

As you know, the issue I'm following more closely than all of the others is the Tyrod question. That one will tell me more than the other ones will.

After today I am more convinced that Lynn will ultimately be the guy for a few reasons, mostly that we have 4-5 guys that we know are going to be interviewed and Kim said we are likely to just interview 5-6 guys, not 12 like last time. I doubt any of those guys get chosen over Lynn. If Lynn stays I think TT is his guy. Tyrod also said he may be willing to re-negotiate. That's what a lot of this merry-go-round could be over.

The most tired act among active, passionate Bills fans is blaming the media. It calls to mind what a very close book editor friend of mine (at Princeton University Press) told me years ago -- the first instinct of populism (both left and right, but honestly, mostly the right) is to always, always blame the media first. It's a tried and true tactic that is as effective as it is inaccurate.

Sorry for sounding pissy about this -- seriously. I'm just so sick of people attacking the media and not factoring in that the Jerry Sullivans of the world have covered nearly two decades of dysfunction. How could they not be scarred by the constant failure, and more importantly, how could they not be jaundiced by a dog-and-pony show in which the left paw doesn't know what the right hoof is doing?

I don't agree with this at all. I don't think the media has caused anything Bills related and Whaley could have handled today better. There's nothing to blame in the media for the Bills incompetence.

Where I'm upset with the media is they rehashed the same crap for forty minutes. They could have touched so many other subjects and refused to do it. My god accept what happened and move on. They took a press conference that should have been extremely broad and made it about one issue, and as a result reduced the amount of information everyone got from today's session. These sessions with Whaley don't happen often.

I don't blame the media for the Bills 17 years of ****. I do blame the media for dropping the ball on their jobs.

I've never blamed the media in the past for the Bills woes, which have been way more years than good years.

This current media wants it all to be about them.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't think the media has caused anything Bills related and Whaley could have handled today better. There's nothing to blame in the media for the Bills incompetence.

Where I'm upset with the media is they rehashed the same crap for forty minutes. They could have touched so many other subjects and refused to do it. My god accept what happened and move on. They took a press conference that should have been extremely broad and made it about one issue, and as a result reduced the amount of information everyone got from today's session. These sessions with Whaley don't happen often.

I don't blame the media for the Bills 17 years of ****. I do blame the media for dropping the ball on their jobs.

You said exactly what I was trying to say!

Then he should move on to another market. Just as teams need to turn over personnel so should news outlets if their workers cannot be fair and balanced. The Pegula's nor Whaley have been in Buff for twenty years.

When was the last time anyone at TBN broke a story with anyone. Tim Graham spends most of his free time arguing with people on Twitter. Sully hasn't broken a story in more than a decade. I have no idea what Carucci's doing.

The only journalists doing any work at all are Sal Capaccio and John Warwow of the AP.

Wawrow and Capaccio report fairly. They critique the Bills, as they should, but don't go overboard with exaggerations or slanted pieces. No wonder why the Pegula's responded to them for interviews. Edited by purple haze

I agree. here are some question I would be interested in having answered

Can you tell us what your evaluation of David carr during the draft process

Did you view either of the top two qb;s taken last year a franchise type qbs

there have been reports that players are sleeping during meeting, care to comment

not what do you do for a living

There's Bucky Gleason shooting his big mouth again "what do you do for a living?" What an imbecile!

The media today was an outright embarrassment along with the Bills. They were like parrots asking the same questions "Caww, when did you know you're going to fire Rex...We're you involved in hiring Rex...We're you involved in firing Rex."

Nothing was asked in the line of "how do you bridge the gap between the Bills and the Patriots?" If Taylor is not your guy, is there a QB you are interested in targeting via trade/draft? Is Manuel done in Buffalo? Your opinions on Cardale Jones' play on Sunday?

The Buffalo media is a circus just like the Bills, they're perfect for each other.

+1 Edited by Jerry Jabber

San Fran/Oakland media handled 49ers owner Jed York the same way when it was clear he and now former GM Trent Baalke lied through their teeth just before and after Jim Harbaugh was fired. The ran him down behind his back to get rid of him and could only replace him with their DL coach, Jim Tomsula. They've too have had 3 coaches in 3 years and naturally media has questioned everything they've done as a result.

If the media isn't asking questions about these woeful organizations then they're like the fans who demand media wave pom-poms.

Cheerleading repeated failure is, how do you say it...insanity.

Edited by BillsVet

Imagine this is your career goal: a sports reporter. Then imagine you had the desire to cover professional sports in a big city. The imagine it was the city you grew up near and rooting for, which is a top 10 media market and sports mecca. But then imagine you just sucked and got stuck in Buffalo, NY, a market outside the top 50 and you never could get to your dream job at the Globe or Herald covering your beloved Celtics, Pats, Sox, and Bruins. So you take your anger and shattered self-esteem and you turn into a miserable old curmudgeon who instead of enjoying his job, turns it into a self-indulgent, pustulant, misery fest. That's Sullivan's professional life, and it his personal live apparently didn't turn out as planned either. I met this joker once waiting to get into the press entrance at an event and all he did was act like a whiney ingrate that he, the king of garbage Buffalo media, had to wait to get in. Guy is just a miserable human being, he is who he appears to be.

I've always maintained I wish out media covered state and local politics the way they cover sports. I don't care what the media says, I don't need them to speak for the "fans" or the "city," no one hired them as my f'in spokesperson. I'm a STH, I have the choice to stop if I feel like it, the Bills owe me zero answers, I am a willing customer. This idea that somehow the Bills owe me and the media a press conference and an explanation is a joke and only held up by the media a s requirement because without that assumption, they'd be more useless than they already are. The only people that owe us press conferences and answers are the only ones who never have a press conference or weekly radio show and that's the people who take our money in the form of taxes. We're owed that, we're owned nothing from the Bills.

What I think is hilarious is these young generation of hacks who try to act like anyone cares what they say. I was at a party and I saw some tweener playing a sports anchor on Channel 7 bumble his way through a poorly constructed and horribly delivered editorial soliloquy the other night, total tire fire.

Sports media is basically a game if "who can be the biggest idiot to say the most outrageous thing, and say it as loud as possible."

What we lack here is what other city's have, which are a few quality writers and reporters to buffer the hacks. When we Kelley passed and Felser retierd, we lost guys who could be excellent reporters without being azzholes, who the subjects of their work respected. No one respects these guys, which in some ways has to annoy the hell out of them. You can be critical and classy, they just don't know how. All my warning points are from slamming the media, specifically JW, but I should get one removed (haha) for giving JW props for being good at his job, being classy, and writing facts instead of opinion. The Buffalo News has removed the line between editorials and columns and now that has turned into an infection in its reporting.

AMEN!!!!!

The buffalo media lives in its own little echo chamber. And they haven't been relevant for years. When's the last time one of them ended up making it big?

Wait. ... wait.

What ... what?

I'm ... i'm

Having ... having

Trouble ... trouble

With ... with

This ... this

Echo ... echo.

as for the last part, the answer's clearly never.

jw

Unfortunately, most of the Sports media has set into coast mode by just being a glorified message board warrior. Tim Graham wonders why he was fired from espn. Sully wonders why his opinion isn't worshiped on the same level as the Bible. Vic lets the others write his articles for him while he tries to find Larry Felser.

It would be nice to get some competent reporters who understand how ask tough questions and be critical of the franchise without just devolving to some sort of irate old man yelling at the clouds routine.

yeah, dug-gummit!

jw

I agree. here are some question I would be interested in having answered

Can you tell us what your evaluation of David carr during the draft process

Did you view either of the top two qb;s taken last year a franchise type qbs

there have been reports that players are sleeping during meeting, care to comment

not what do you do for a living

Why would any of that be relevant to yesterday's press conference?

Otherwise, a priceless post (Players sleeping!!).

Wait. ... wait.

What ... what?

I'm ... i'm

Having ... having

Trouble ... trouble

With ... with

This ... this

Echo ... echo.

as for the last part, the answer's clearly never.

jw

yeah, dug-gummit!

jw

You do great, John.

Good reporting requires cultivation of working relationships with good sources, discretion on when and when not to run with something (lest you ruin those relationships), mutual respect with your sources (i.e. the understanding that you each have a job that you must do), and of course the ability to write well. How many in the local media who cover the Bills meet these requirements?

Sports media (nay, media everywhere) has gotten lazy. (How many utterly bogus stories have made national news in the past couple months? Eager for the scoop, reporters run with unverified info, and further undermine confidence in themselves.) Sports media engenders a different kind of laziness though. There are guys who have been at it in WNY for a very long time, tasked with covering a perennial mediocrity. Some of them fancy themselves as the voice of the fans, and they get jaded and bitter like fans do. Can an obviously jaded and bitter sportswriter have a mutually respectful relationship with sources in/around the team? I think not.

I should clarify: I agree with others who've said it here... Sal Capaccio and John Wawrow fit the description of good reporters!

Ya, you all keep telling yourselves and each other it's the media; see you in December 2017! Then tell me it's the media again.

It's the media, pay no attention to the dismal on-field product or the fact the Buffalo Bills are a failed organization!