Perhaps Buffalo needs to Draft a competent Sports Media

gjv001

In this case the left paw very much knew what the right paw was doing. There was only a 30 minute time period when it didn't. And then was immediately informed. And the dog and pony didn't happen to be moving at the time. The Pegulas knew exactly what Whaley thought of Rex. The same way you and I know what the other feels about the Bills. We talk to each other in both broad and specific terms all year long. Rex wants to talk to Pegula who is planning on firing him after the season. Pegula says we're not starting Tyrod because of the obvious contract and injury implications, the day after two guys went down with leg injuries. Rex says I play to win, if you are going to fire me, fire me now, I'll go watch my kid. Pegula says i think it's time for a change. Rex says Lynn is the guy for the job. Then immediately Pegula tells Whaley and then Lynn. I don't see any dysfunction at all.

This

The biggest dysfunction was the result of having Rex and Whaley separately report to the Pegulas instead of having the GM over the coach. But I understand that when you hire a big name coach who can throw his weight around in formulating his hiring contract, that coach is going to prefer not to answer to the GM.

Everything Whaley said in the press conference that all the press is so hysterical about criticizing him for arises from that, and from his desire to not criticize Rex or the Pegulas or Tyrod in public.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, there were several bombshells in there that weren't followed up. One was Whaley's statement that he thought they'd have $10-30M of cap "depending on what we do". OvertheCap, with Taylor included, currently projects the cap at $22M. Wondering what would get it up to $30M or down to $10 - would have liked to see that followed up.

Another was when pressed, Whaley said he approved the contracts. That is interesting because I thought it was Overdorf and up through Brandon to the Pegulas. I would have liked some probing of that, is there a level where you sign off and a level where it does go to the Pegulas or to Overdorf/Littman?

The thing that bugged me is a reporter asking repeated questions that showed a fundamental ignorance of the Bills basic (and publicized) reporting structure, where Rex never reported to Whaley and Whaley never had control to fire him.

Do your homework, Man.

that's right. Some people think the issue with the media is "negative coverage" and say the team, not the media, should be blamed for that. Of course they should except that's not the actual problem. The issue is not about wanting "positive" coverage from the media. It's about the coverage having an obvious agenda and pissing away limited chances to ask probing, legit questions.

There are only so many opportunities to ask questions, especially of the GM, that when they are completely wasted, its a disservice to anyone who might actually want to learn something from the point of view of the team. And for it to turn into a public display of past grudges is just embarrassing for all involved.

Not only should the fans/readers demand better, but so should the media members that actually do want to ask more insightful questions and provide better coverage because they exist too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This

The biggest dysfunction was the result of having Rex and Whaley separately report to the Pegulas instead of having the GM over the coach. But I understand that when you hire a big name coach who can throw his weight around in formulating his hiring contract, that coach is going to prefer not to answer to the GM.

Everything Whaley said in the press conference that all the press is so hysterical about criticizing him for arises from that, and from his desire to not criticize Rex or the Pegulas or Tyrod in public.

And, if he did criticize them in public, the Sullys of the world would be saying "Who would come to Buffalo when the GM throws them under the bus!"

What I don't get is how the Buffalo News has the budget to employ all these guys to basically write the same stuff? They're certainly not breaking any news. You don't need more than 1 or 2 of them to do what they're doing. After 17 years of futility, I get the negativity but not sure why you need 4 or 5 of them to sit in press conferences, ask the same questions, and write the same stuff. Surprised a Buffett owned business is so inefficient.

And, if he did criticize them in public, the Sullys of the world would be saying "Who would come to Buffalo when the GM throws them under the bus!"

Exactly, so if you can't win, why play the game? Give 'em nothing. Just what they deserve.