Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

JIM SZOKE: "HE HAS THE TRAITS YOU LOOK FOR" (7:09)

Panthers radio analyst Jim Szoke called into the John Murphy Show to discuss head coaching candidate Sean McDermott. Szoke talked about what he thinks makes McDermott qualified and what he's done in Carolina in recent years.

2016 DVOA - Defense

Panthers - #10

Bills - #26

Take a look a his previous years as a DC.

i might thin he'd bring ken dorsey as his OC. dorsey has been with car for years and is qb coach at the moment. but only 4 years of being a qb coach...working with cam newton. he's young...35 so i'd be very curious to see what type of offense he brings.

There aren't many interviews or press conferences out there with McDermott. This one is from six years ago when he was the Eagles DC. He would be fired by Andy Reid just a couple weeks later.

Seems like a smart guy and obviously a talented and successful defensive coordinator. I'm luke warm on him as a HC though. But who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp88Fe5zaV0

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Call me crazy but I would like someone specifically qualified to oversee QB development. We don't need any more defensive guys running the show.

I second that. I think we need a coach who can come in and develop a young QB.

Unless he's bringing Rivers or Wentz with him, I'm on the skeptical side. In his 3 years as OC, he's always had high-quality passers to work with. His run game in San Diego was bottom-scraping.

I won't call you crazy, but I don't think it's really the HC job to oversee QB development. We need an OC that designs a good passing game and is good with QB development, and a QB coach who is in sync with the OC.

That all sounds like common sense. But Buffalo, right now, is built to run the ball. We have more talent for running than passing. We need an OC who understands the running game.

A good passing game coordinator who's not as good at coordinating a running attack might struggle to score points with the players we currently have.

JIM SZOKE: "HE HAS THE TRAITS YOU LOOK FOR" (7:09)

Take a look a his previous years as a DC.

2013 Sporting New "Coordinator of the Year".

Have lived in Clt since 98.

Panthers are my second team . When they lost the SB last year I was Meh so they aren't really my team.

Last year they had an infuriating tendency to let teams back in on D. That was playing behind the league leading O. I'm not a fan of this pick. I don't hate him but he is boring and his defenses aren't all that. Nothing I've seen makes me think he would be anything better than average.

i would rather get shula as OC to work with Taylor. if he can work with cam he can work with taylor. taylor is miles smarter - and we have a run game.

Considering the Bills have neither a Keuchly or a Norman (and Gilmore likely gone) I'm not encouraged to hear the reason his D was bad was because he lost Keuchly and Norman.

well, they'll be getting Gilmore next year... and Keuchly will be back... so there is that. Always 2018?

I really hope that the next Bills HC hires quality OC & DC to handle the play calling on both sides of the ball, and focuses on game day management and being a great "leader of men"(motivator).

If you aren't good at the latter, chances are you will fail as a HC.

The 1,000,000 question...how do you know if the coach you hired is going to have these attributes when he has never been a HC before.