HC candidate Kris Richard interviewing 1/8

YoloinOhio

Gus. Bradley.

Why do you think he would a) want control b) be able to demand control c) be considered for a HC job so soon after completing the worst HC tenure in history

It's not about Bradley but Whaley feeling threatened by someone who already has had HC experience regardless of previous records.

look you guys can keep drinking the kool-aid but I'm not. Whenever something bad happens it's not Doug's fault but only the good. Whaley is all about self preservation and gaining more power (which most people are) which may not be what is best for the Bills. As of right now he has brought in no one with HC experience (interim doesn't count) and I will be shocked if he does. You can't tell me guys like Caughlin, Shanahan, McCoy, etc. aren't worth at least interviewing.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you Mike McCoy isn't worth interviewing, yes.

Coughlin is the only guy out there in my opinion who is a) worth interviewing, b) might be in a position to demand personnel control. He is also 71 years old by the time next season starts and would represent ultimate short termism.

What others are saying is right. Whaley's only way of keeping his job is to win. It looks to me like he believes that there is still enough talent on this team to run a successful 4-3 defense and is bringing in coaches with a history of doing that successfully.

So far the guys we know or believe the Bills to have interest in are:

- Sean McDermott - successful DC running a 4-3

- Kris Richard - successful DC running a 4-3

- Vance Joseph - relatively inexperienced DC but runs a 4-3

- Anthony Lynn - current OC rumoured to have Gus Bradley (formerly successful DC running a 4-3) on his proposed staff.

The one other name we have heard that we don't know fits the pattern is Frank Reich which makes me wonder what they think his plan is at DC. They interviewed him 2 years ago so presumably they knew who it was then.

Edited by GunnerBill

It's not about Bradley but Whaley feeling threatened by someone who already has had HC experience regardless of previous records.

look you guys can keep drinking the kool-aid but I'm not. Whenever something bad happens it's not Doug's fault but only the good. Whaley is all about self preservation and gaining more power (which most people are) which may not be what is best for the Bills. As of right now he has brought in no one with HC experience (interim doesn't count) and I will be shocked if he does. You can't tell me guys like Caughlin, Shanahan, McCoy, etc. aren't worth at least interviewing.

if it isn't about Bradley why did you mention him multiple times as an example?

Kyle Shanahan doesn't have HC experience. McCoy didn't have control over the 53 in SD so why would you assume that he wants it in Buffalo? No one is interviewing McCoy for a HC position either. The reason is that they are bad HCs. And yes, that would affect a GMs job security. Not that they would demand "control"

There are two coordinators with no HC experience hired recently - Quinn and Gase- who were given control over the 53. Add Bill O Brien to that, who had no NFL HC experience. So how do you know the coordinators that Whaley has decided to bring in so far do not want that?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Do you think about the names you throw out beyond just "They've had HC experience." Serious question? Coughlin is 70+, and his last few years with the Giants WITH a franchise QB were terrible. McCoy and Bradley had no success as head coaches, McCoy WITH a franchise QB.

As Yolo points out, no HC experience with Shanahan which doesn't fit your narrative, and his team's still in the playoffs giving him limited opportunities, and it would seem his weekend off is already full based on a quick Google search.

Edited by transient

I absolutely can and no I will never forget you wanted to trade Mario for John Skelton.

Richard is who I want. I love his energy and youth and experience working under a great coach in a great organization. Bring in his own defensive staff. Convince Lynn to stay on as OC while keeping the entire offensive staff. Get a new special teams coordinator. Keep Tyrod.

Let's go to the playoffs.

Kyle Shanahan doesn't have HC experience. McCoy didn't have control over the 53 in SD so why would you assume that he wants it in Buffalo? No one is interviewing McCoy for a HC position either. The reason is that they are bad HCs. And yes, that would affect a GMs job security. Not that they would demand "control"

There are two coordinators with no HC experience hired recently - Quinn and Gase- who were given control over the 53. Add Bill O Brien to that, who had no NFL HC experience. So how do you know the coordinators that Whaley has decided to bring in so far do not want that?

Stop making sense

@MikeGarafolo

Bills have requested permission to interview Seahawks DC Kris Richard and that's expected to happen after Saturday's game, sources say.

YES!

One reason among others: Hawk tackle

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I seem to watch that instructional video 3/4 times a year. It's become my happy place.

Came from watching rugby didn't it? It always amazes me when I see NFL players not wrap up. You'd have lasted 20 minutes on the rugby field at my school if you tackled like some NFL players.

Jim Schwartz : Career 29-52 (.358)

Gus Bradley : Career 14-48 (.226)

John Skelton : TD-INT 15-25

Seriously? These are the guys being proposed. TBN has the masses whipped into a delirious furor.

Early POTY candidate with the inclusion of Skelton!

I absolutely can and no I will never forget you wanted to trade Mario for John Skelton.

^ See!

I've lost count of the number of times I've gone hoarse or voiceless yelling at my TV "WRAP AND TACKLE! WRAP AND TACKLE G** Da***it!"

It's like they see the same things as us!

OK, off to research Richard. One thought - I hope that everyone isn't banking on keeping Lynn as OC. Obviously we don't know if he'll have a HC job, but also just seems to me guys like to bring along other coaches they know.

Guess we shall see. Definitely would be bullish with a Richard / Lynn combo...

If the Bills don't hire A Lynn as HC he's gone !!

And if they play around to long they might find themselves where they were 2 yrs ago :cry:

If Lynn doesn't land any of the other HC positions I don't know why that would have to be the case if the HC wants to keep him and the offensive system in tact.

As @TomPelissero 1st reported, @buffalobills have interest interviewing @Seahawks DC Kris Richard 4 HC vacancy. Can't yet w SEA in playoffs

The last DC from Seahawks who got head coach opportunity worked out.

Buddy of mine is a Seahawks fan and told me it would be a mistake other than he is used to working with headcases.

And if they play around to long they might find themselves where they were 2 yrs ago :cry:

Wrong he is under contract and they have right to preserve their rights. Interim is not an official title meaning the Bills can keep him per rule as OC.

The entire premise is pretty ridiculous IMO. If Whaley doesn't find a highly qualified coach who can assemble an excellent staff, he's signing his own eventual death warrant. The line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think people just hear what they want to hear at this point

I also think they need to not rush the coaching hire

It needs to be a good one