Define "accountability"

SDS

This word gets thrown around an awful lot on sports forums. I've never had anyone actually define what they mean by it and I would not be shocked if the definition varied greatly from person to person.

So what is your definition in holding a player who makes $20 million "accountable" and explain why that is meaningful in any way, shape or form?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accountability: the state of accepting responsibility for one's actions.

For example: I am accountable for calling people idiots here. Doesn't mean it's right, just that I accept responsibility for it.

Doesn't mean it's wrong either, of course.

My definition with regard to a professional football player:

Take responsibility for any actions that adversely affect the team, on or off the field.

The trick is - how? And what for?

Apologizing doesn't do anything. Owning up to it or admitting fault doesn't do anything. The damage done is immediate and with a 17 week season, there's never time to really make up for it.

The only way I think accountability can make a difference is the example that is set. This would really only come into play when a veteran or a marquee player is the one who's erred.

But to really make a tangible difference? I don't see how it's possible.

Edited by Gugny

Good question. For instance, if Mario was dogging it as much as some people believe he was, you don't worry about his salary and you bench him. When Jerry Hughes gets repeated brain dead unnecessary roughness penalties, you bench him. Then you bring it up in the locker room and have the players hold each other accountable.

Accountability: the state of accepting responsibility for one's actions.

For example: I am accountable for calling people idiots here. Doesn't mean it's right, just that I accept responsibility for it.

Doesn't mean it's wrong either, of course.

Well, that's what it means to me also, but if I am paid $20 million a year I will accept responsibility for Love Canal. WTF do I care? What does it change?

When you hold someone accountable do you twist their arm behind her back until they say uncle? I can understand accountability coming from within someone, but when you hold someone else accountable what are the practical implications of that?

It all comes across as fan speak to me.

Well, that's what it means to me also, but if I am paid $20 million a year I will accept responsibility for Love Canal. WTF do I care? What does it change?

When you hold someone accountable do you twist their arm behind her back until they say uncle? I can understand accountability coming from within someone, but when you hold someone else accountable what are the practical implications of that?

When I played, a coach would punish the entire team for a player screwing up. Then the players would find that player in the locker room and "hold them accountable."

Accountable would mean expecting to be punished harshly for:

- jeopardizing your career and team with off field antics/behavior

- lack of professionalism

- not preparing for the opponent you are about to face

- laziness on the field (not giving your best effort)

- repeatedly not having your head in the game

- repeatedly performing way below your expected level of play in multiple games

probably some other things, but that is a good start.

To me, accountability means you don't screw up and then say "oh well" and move on to the next day (or play). It's a culture whereby you know you won't "slide by" if you don't put in the work and show it on the field. For a professional athlete that means you'll be benched, or perhaps ostracized by coaches and teammates.

To be accountable one must first care -- about one's job, about one's co-workers, about the common shared goal. It means not taking one's position for granted. For some accountability is intrinsic -- see, for example, Kyle Williams.

It's a similar quality as having a strong work ethic -- you do it because that's what you're supposed to do, not because it's what you're told to do.

When I see players smiling/joking on the sideline after they've made a bad play or when their team is behind, I know the culture is not one of accountability.

I think it is defined at many levels within the team. Starting with the coach, and filtering through his assistants, and his players feeling accountable to each other. This all starts at an individual level and over time if done successfully, a culture of accountability is created. If you are fortunate enough to get to the culture level it is somewhat easier. The NE Pats have this culture after many years. The HC doesn't have to act as a policeman. The players have a standard and it is adhered to or else you don't fit. The organization has credibility and people within the org. trust that what they are doing is worth it.

You're missing the responsibility part of the accountability question.

Seems to me it should be taken out of the dictionary in today's world. Players seem to do what ever they want as long as it is not murder, assault on a women, or very nasty racial abuse no one cares Just saying . Rex taking responsibility for his players is what he thought he should do. Leaves the players to do as they please. Showing up late for meetings missed assignments on the field are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Our whole society is losing accountability in my opinion.

Edited by mead107

"Hold someone else accountable" is different. In all my life, that means finger pointing and guilting/shaming someone into taking responsibility for their actions.

Like when some dumbass !@#$s up basic math, and I call him an idiot. It's not abuse, I'm holding him accountable.

This word gets thrown around an awful lot on sports forums. I've never had anyone actually define what they mean by it and I would not be shocked if the definition varied greatly from person to person.

So what is your definition in holding a player who makes $20 million "accountable" and explain why that is meaningful in any way, shape or form?

It means taking every reasonable step necessary to prevent failure knowing that if it goes wrong you are culpable.......and that it matters to you enough that you will do whatever you need to to make it right if it goes wrong.

It means taking every reasonable step necessary to prevent failure knowing that if it goes wrong you are culpable.......and that it matters to you enough that you will do whatever you need to to make it right if it goes wrong.

I see accountability as after the fact. What you're describing is more proactive, like self-awareness or even respect.

I think it's based on a couple of assumptions:

1) that the players are a prideful bunch who very much want to win and to be seen as great players, and don't want to be seen as screwing up and causing a loss

2) that the players are a tight bunch who care about what their brother players think of them and don't want to be seen as knuckleheads or half-assed

For some guys getting the big bucks, both are true.

For others (I expect Mario Williams was one) they don't love football nearly as much they love the money and all it brings, so who cares.

In which case you'd be right that "accountability" is just a word.

In the real world it's, "!@#$ up and you're gone". No such concept seems to exist in the NFL as near as I can tell. Or at least not on the Bills. For them it's more "let's fire one obvious !@#$ up so the rest of us can keep our jobs".

Edited by CodeMonkey

https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/football/2013/01/29/buffalo_bills_rogers_centre_reach_deal_to_continue_playing_one_nfl_game_per_season_in_toronto/buffalo_bills.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x715.jpg

Accountability is leaving no stone unturned. Looking at all phases of the organization in its totality, And ultimately creating one of the most robust analytical departments to help the Bills "Lead the charge" and enhance the ability of our fans to "Billieve" in this team.

-Russ Brandon