Do you think the Rex timing will backfire at all?

Alphadawg7

I don't have an issue that they fired Rex, but I do wonder if this will have a negative impact on our coaching search.

1. Is it really necessary for any team to fire a coach with 1 week left in the season? Just feels like you are making an example out of them and no coach is going to want to have that done to them nor get behind doing it to another colleague.

2. Sounds like part of the reason was because our GM wanted to see a different QB play...that is not something potential coaches like to see from a team, a front office dictating the coaches game plan and game day starters, no matter what the reasons.

3. The 1 game left was against the Jets, and there is no secret that Rex enjoys beating his old team, and to fire him the week before the game...a meaningless final game of the season...just looks petty and vindictive. Of course, it doesn't mean it was vindictive, but I have lots of people texting me about saying it was pretty messed up to do before the Jets game, so who knows how potential coaching candidates see it.

4. To those on the outside looking in, he wasn't a disaster like the Jax debacle. We should beat the Jets, and had he coached that game he would have been .500 in 2 years despite all the injuries working against this team to many of the players we couldn't afford to be without.

Top candidates generally have several options every year...Buffalo already has its small market and vicious winter weather working against it. They have 17 years of missed playoffs working against them. It appears we have a big QB issue or question mark going into next year with only a raw QB locked in to be here who wasnt good enough to start in college even after a National Championship fill in on his resume. We play in the same division as the Pats. We have an old stadium. We have a ton of FA's going into the offseason. Our draft pick slot isn't going to likely be top 15.

So with those things already working against us in any coaching or FA recruitment, why add to it by making such a loud move against Rex that might add more reasons to make this job less attractive?

Note: If Lynn is the guy, this likely has no impact...but Lynn also is rumored for the Rams job, so we may have competition for him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an issue that they fired Rex, but I do wonder if this will have a negative impact on our coaching search.

1. Is it really necessary for any team to fire a coach with 1 week left in the season? Just feels like you are making an example out of them and no coach is going to want to have that done to them nor get behind doing it to another colleague.

2. Sounds like part of the reason was because our GM wanted to see a different QB play...that is not something potential coaches like to see from a team, a front office dictating the coaches game plan and game day starters, no matter what the reasons.

3. The 1 game left was against the Jets, and there is no secret that Rex enjoys beating his old team, and to fire him the week before the game...a meaningless final game of the season...just looks petty and vindictive. Of course, it doesn't mean it was vindictive, but I have lots of people texting me about saying it was pretty messed up to do before the Jets game, so who knows how potential coaching candidates see it.

4. To those on the outside looking in, he wasn't a disaster like the Jax debacle. We should beat the Jets, and had he coached that game he would have been .500 in 2 years despite all the injuries working against this team to many of the players we couldn't afford to be without.

Top candidates generally have several options every year...Buffalo already has its small market and vicious winter weather working against it. They have 17 years of missed playoffs working against them. It appears we have a big QB issue or question mark going into next year with only a raw QB locked in to be here who wasnt good enough to start in college even after a National Championship fill in on his resume. We play in the same division as the Pats. We have an old stadium. We have a ton of FA's going into the offseason. Our draft pick slot isn't going to likely be top 15.

So with those things already working against us in any coaching or FA recruitment, why add to it by making such a loud move against Rex that might add more reasons to make this job less attractive?

Note: If Lynn is the guy, this likely has no impact...but Lynn also is rumored for the Rams job, so we may have competition for him.

Exactly

All I need to hear from Lynn is his D philophsy and who he plans on bring in to DC

THis makes or breaks our season next year

Don't think it backfires in any way. I think Rex's way of getting shown the door was a big :censored: you to the FO by saying Tyrod was his starter after he was likely told to do something different. Either way, after week 16 or on "Black Monday" makes no difference.

I suspect that Rex wanted to win and that meant playing Taylor. The Pegulas and/or Whaley most certainly wanted to protect themselves from a Taylor injury and the financial burden that could mean. They also probably don't mind an improved draft position. That means benching Taylor. In fact, that means making him inactive for this last game. My bet is that this was the problem. Rex was looking for a win at the potential expense of the Bills future. The Bills were worried about their future, not Rex's.

No way does that have a negative impact on our next HC hire.

Edited by BarleyNY

I think he would have finished up the season but the Tyrod option could have potentially been a killer.

There's never a good time to make a change. But I do believe the Pegulas are first class and would be a great place to work. And a first time head coach will get a Lind get leash than Rex got.

No. Rex sucked. Everyone knows it and no one will care they fired a guy who sucked.

Is it too much of a stretch to believe that:

A) Rex and Doug did not see eye to eye

B) Rex had lost the locker room

C) Management wanted to rest Taylor to eliminate risk of injury and that Rex's contract stipulated that he has final say on who plays and since the Bills had decided to fire him, it was done a week early as Rex was unwilling to cave to management's wishes

To be honest, I don't think any HC candidate takes a job based on how they will be fired.

If other coaches don't think Rex got enough time to do his thing, that may have an impact, but the difference between week 16 and 17 is negligible when taking a job in my opinion.

Not to mention, I think he made a stand on Tyrod and his right to make game time player decisions, and they let him do it. When they lost to the fish, Pegula and Whaley got together and the decision was made to fire Rex. They probably figured we are out of the playoffs, we can't start Tyrod, so we should let Rex go now if he won't sit Tyrod against the Jets.

I agree with much of what you stated. The exception is that the entire reason for the timing of the firing was to keep TT off the field to avoid injury. I also agree with other posts that Lynn looks to be the next HC. This makes sense. The offense was not the problem. If Lynn picks a suitable DC we could be in good shape next year.

The only way I see it backfiring is if we crush the Jets this Sunday and everybody falls in love with Lynn as our next coach because of it. I have no feelings one way or another on how I feel about Lynn as a head coach ... if forced into an opinion I would say he may not have enough experiance to be a head coach yet, but I just don't know.

The thought of the Bills hiring someone just on the strength of one game against a team who has clearly given up and is running for the bus kind of scares me.

To be honest, I don't think any HC candidate takes a job based on how they will be fired.

If other coaches don't think Rex got enough time to do his thing, that may have an impact, but the difference between week 16 and 17 is negligible when taking a job in my opinion.

Not to mention, I think he made a stand on Tyrod and his right to make game time player decisions, and they let him do it. When they lost to the fish, Pegula and Whaley got together and the decision was made to fire Rex. They probably figured we are out of the playoffs, we can't start Tyrod, so we should let Rex go now if he won't sit Tyrod against the Jets.

the other two teams that have HC openings both looked ridiculous when they fired their coaches. The Jags had Gus fly home with the team after being fired and then had him do his own 25 min press conference the next day. The Rams FO made Fisher look like a complete idiot with never telling him the GM got an extension and making him answer questions about it. That same GM is leading the HC search.

You are over-analyzing the situation. This was a meaningless game in which it was evident that he was going to be fired after the season. Rex and his job status would have been the central story-line during this weeks. By taking him out of this lame-duck situation it allowed to leave him with some dignity instead of constantly answering questions this week about his status, a status that everyone knew exactly what the outcome was.

Rex announced that TT was going to be the starting qb. For obvious reasons the organization ordered that he not play. (I agree with their position.) Last week Carr and Mariota suffered serious injuries that if it occurred to TT in a meaningless game would have been a reckless financial and business decision.

The bottom line is that Rex was not simply a bad hire but he was a peculiar hire. He was fired from his previous job in which he had a losing record with a concluding season that ended with four wins. It's obvious why the Pegulas' were enamored with him. They were inclined to hire this personality to give their faceless and very much irrelevant franchise some cachet and relevance. Well as in most cases when you are attracted to style over substance the outcome is predictable.

Getting rid of Rex and his sloppy brother doesn't fix the many problems that this team (roster) has. But just because you can't fix all your problems at once doesn't mean that you shouldn't fix what can be fixed.

Don't feel sorry for Rex. He is cashing in. More power to him. My take on this situation is that if Rex would have stayed this organization would have had to eventually address the deficiency in the coaching staff. The Rex we hired is the Rex we got. Sooner is better than later!

How does this compare to Jacksonville or Los Angeles?

Was it necessary? maybe not, but the writing was on the wall when the defensive guru had a defense underperforiming to historic bad records. As a fan, I would have fired him after the Steelers game, the effort by the team thad day was pathetic.

The reason he was fired was because of a financial and business decision regarding the QB position. If Taylor gets injured you're stuck with him, the ressponsible thing to do is not to play him. The new HC and OC will determine Taylor's fate with the team.

I have another view of the situation. You spare him the pain to go to N.J. to his old employer, where he failed once, as a sitting duck with his current employer. You can like or hate Rex Ryan, but I would have to guess that going back to face the Jets as your final game of your career would have been painful for him.

Had the Bills failed to make the post-season while having a Top 5 defense in the process, he would still be employed. But this was his thing, this was the calling card he gave the Pegulas. Two years later and with all the coaching aid he could ask for, the defense got awfully worse. There was no going back when he brought his brother along.

Edited by Fixxxer