Do you think the Rex timing will backfire at all?

Alphadawg7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they said, sit TT

He said no

So both got fired

No...the Pegulas had intended to let him coach the final game...but Rex confronted them and said, "if you plan on firing me, do it now please". Pegula complied. I think that is part of the reason the last two days were handled so poorly. The Bills had intended to have it all layed out to happen next Sunday or Monday... the writing had been on the wall for weeks.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/27/14094760/rex-ryan-fired-buffalo-bills-rob-ryan-tyrod-taylor-future

Edited by Buftex

Well I asked this question about whether or not the firing of Rex when it happened was going to impact our coaching search. Most disregarded it, but there is a lot of grumblings about both the timing and how it went down impacting peoples view of the vacancy here.

I personally think we are the 2nd best opening behind only Denver, assuming we don't blow the roster up and bring back Taylor. We have been close to competing last 2 seasons, but injuries were an issue and also apparently Rex given most peoples views on Rex. Yet we still were in the running late in the season.

So, having Shaq and Rags for the whole season and full training camp, what ever FA's we bring in to fills some holes, Sammy back at full health, Dareus for a full season (assuming he doesnt do something stupid again) and what ever draft picks we nab with the 10th pick in the first 3 rounds likely getting us some nice prospects...and this team is quite intriguing.

But, apparently the Rex firing is working against us if you believe the media leaks...personally I don't put a lot of stock into it, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

As much as I like Whaley (a lot), it would have been best to fire Rex and Whaley at the same time.

Whaley's future seems uncertain from the outside, looking in.

Not sure many HC candidates, especially the best ones, would want to walk into a situation with a GM on shaky ground.

As much as I like Whaley (a lot), it would have been best to fire Rex and Whaley at the same time.

Not sure many HC candidates, especially the best ones, would want to walk into a situation with a GM on shaky ground.

I don't think they needed to fire Whaley at all. But they should have just waited until the season was over given there was one week left anyway and fried Rex then. I get Rex apparently asked him to do it right then and there if he was going to get fired and Pegs obliged, but as an owner he had no obligation to do so. He should have just said they had not made up their mind one way or the other and just let him finish the final game. Almost all this unnecessary speculation would have been avoided.

I don't think they needed to fire Whaley at all. But they should have just waited until the season was over given there was one week left anyway and fried Rex then. I get Rex apparently asked him to do it right then and there if he was going to get fired and Pegs obliged, but as an owner he had no obligation to do so. He should have just said they had not made up their mind one way or the other and just let him finish the final game. Almost all this unnecessary speculation would have been avoided.

the way it sounds, he either had to fire him or Rex insisted he play TT in that last game. Rex has control over the Gameday roster (I would assume that is in his contract but not sure). FO and ownership didn't want to risk the injury and Rex wouldn't go along with that. They knew that they were firing him anyway so just did it and could do what they want with TT. Otherwise Rex could claim they didn't allow him to perform his job duties by taking away his active 46 control.

I like Whaley too but the way I see it there are really two options given how he is apparently perceived from the outside. Give him an extension or fire him.

As you said, he looks like a lame duck GM and I'm not sure any quality coaching candidate is going to want this job if they think they'll only have a year or two before another GM comes in and fires them.

I like Whaley too but the way I see it there are really two options given how he is apparently perceived from the outside. Give him an extension or fire him.

As you said, he looks like a lame duck GM and I'm not sure any quality coaching candidate is going to want this job if they think they'll only have a year or two before another GM comes in and fires them.

Did you forget about this?

he just got an extension. He has been given more power.Why does he look like a lame duck GM?

They did.

I remembered him getting extended but I thought it was when Rex came in, not last year. Thanks for the link.

he just got an extension. He has been given more power.Why does he look like a lame duck GM?

Asking why he looks like a lame duck GM is akin to the media asking Whaley over and over why Rex was fired. I can't think of a GM in football who appears to be on less secure ground.

Who knows, maybe the Pegulas are 100% behind him for the next 3-4 years no matter what but from where I sit (and I'll admit, I'm not "in the know") he looks to be a year or two of mediocre results from getting canned.

No coach wants to come in and have to make the playoffs in years 1 or 2 or be canned. Particularly with Tom Brady and the Pats in the division and the only likely path to the playoffs is a 10-11 win season and the WC.

the way it sounds, he either had to fire him or Rex insisted he play TT in that last game. Rex has control over the Gameday roster (I would assume that is in his contract but not sure). FO and ownership didn't want to risk the injury and Rex wouldn't go along with that. They knew that they were firing him anyway so just did it and could do what they want with TT. Otherwise Rex could claim they didn't allow him to perform his job duties by taking away his active 46 control.

Why would Rex need to make that claim? - he gets paid regardless, and assuming it's true that Tyrod has been managing and playing with a severe groin injury, bring that out and Rex looks like a guy who doesn't care about a player's well-being, wanting to play him in a meaningless game.

He also looks like a guy who isn't willing to give any account to organizational priorities if he's so insistant "play to win, play Tyrod, draft position and contract be damned!" which is not a good look for a HC.

I personally think Rex wanted to see his son's Clemson game and asked Pegula to fire him a week early so he could go see it. Which kind of speaks to his current priorities. I'm told he was seen at the game. But of course it could be several things, and we also can't exclude that he got a bit salty with Pegula and got told "You're FIRED!"

Why would Rex need to make that claim? - he gets paid regardless, and assuming it's true that Tyrod has been managing and playing with a severe groin injury, bring that out and Rex looks like a guy who doesn't care about a player's well-being, wanting to play him in a meaningless game.

He also looks like a guy who isn't willing to give any account to organizational priorities if he's so insistant "play to win, play Tyrod, draft position and contract be damned!" which is not a good look for a HC.

I personally think Rex wanted to see his son's Clemson game and asked Pegula to fire him a week early so he could go see it. Which kind of speaks to his current priorities. I'm told he was seen at the game. But of course it could be several things, and we also can't exclude that he got a bit salty with Pegula and got told "You're FIRED!"

https://www.google.com/amp/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2017/1/3/14153256/rex-ryan-fired-timing-dispute-tyrod-taylor-starting-quarterback?client=safari

Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that hed be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didnt want to break his word, and he was worried how the team would respond. If you are already planning on firing me next Monday, Ryan told Pegula, then you might as well fire me now.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't have an issue that they fired Rex, but I do wonder if this will have a negative impact on our coaching search.

1. Is it really necessary for any team to fire a coach with 1 week left in the season? Just feels like you are making an example out of them and no coach is going to want to have that done to them nor get behind doing it to another colleague.

Since Rex agreed to it so he did not break a promise to Tyrod (Tyrod could have shown support for him by having groin surgery week 17) I do not think it is a big factor.

In fact it may be a positive thing.

I think they said

Your fired.....and take your brother with you while you leave

Rex would have made a joke about the speaker's grammar. Are you a New England troll on football boards?

Edited by Koolaid

Asking why he looks like a lame duck GM is akin to the media asking Whaley over and over why Rex was fired. I can't think of a GM in football who appears to be on less secure ground.

Errrm, Les Snead? Traded up 15 places to draft #1, Goff didn't start a game until week 11 and is looking a little shaky, while Wentz in Philly is looking pretty solid, Rams 4-12 now and all those nice high draft picks will be so helpful to the Titans?

He just signed a 2 year contract extension before this season, extending him through 2018.

But then, so did Fisher.

Yeah, I read Vrentas' article that Rumblings piece was based on and there's a bit of weirdness there.

"According to multiple people with knowledge of the conversation, Ryan, Pegula and Whaley had had their standard weekly conversation last Tuesday. That’s when Ryan learned of the organization’s decision to bench Taylor, the starting quarterback the past two seasons. The Bills were already eliminated from playoff contention, and there would have been a financial risk to playing Taylor. His $27.5 million salary for 2017 is guaranteed for injury only, so if he suffered a significant one in the season finale, the Bills would have been on the hook for money they may not want to pay. They also wanted to see the other quarterbacks on the roster, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones, get some game action."

Who are these multiple people with knowledge of the conversation? The only people in the conversation are Ryan and Pegula (Whaley initially). Either her source is Rex, which it could be - but then definitely one side of the conversation which may be slanted to make him look good. Or her source is someone at the watercooler collecting hearsay.

Either way, I wouldn't assume it's the whole story. And for heaven's sake! A football team eliminated from contention wants to evaluate depth, protect their contract options, and maybe improve their draft order. THE NERVE OF THOSE PEOPLE! Rex obviously had no choice but to ask for immediate firing.

Then there's this gem: "Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that he’d be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didn’t want to break his word"

What kind of football coach promises a player he'll start "no matter what, as long as he's the coach?" This is a performance-based business, you bench people if they don't perform. It's also a business, you hold people out of the game when you have a business reason to do so. Has anyone else ever heard such a meathead promise from an NFL head coach? Yet it's presented verbatim, with no commentary on how strange this is.

I don't have an issue that they fired Rex, but I do wonder if this will have a negative impact on our coaching search.

1. Is it really necessary for any team to fire a coach with 1 week left in the season? Just feels like you are making an example out of them and no coach is going to want to have that done to them nor get behind doing it to another colleague.

2. Sounds like part of the reason was because our GM wanted to see a different QB play...that is not something potential coaches like to see from a team, a front office dictating the coaches game plan and game day starters, no matter what the reasons.

3. The 1 game left was against the Jets, and there is no secret that Rex enjoys beating his old team, and to fire him the week before the game...a meaningless final game of the season...just looks petty and vindictive. Of course, it doesn't mean it was vindictive, but I have lots of people texting me about saying it was pretty messed up to do before the Jets game, so who knows how potential coaching candidates see it.

4. To those on the outside looking in, he wasn't a disaster like the Jax debacle. We should beat the Jets, and had he coached that game he would have been .500 in 2 years despite all the injuries working against this team to many of the players we couldn't afford to be without.

Top candidates generally have several options every year...Buffalo already has its small market and vicious winter weather working against it. They have 17 years of missed playoffs working against them. It appears we have a big QB issue or question mark going into next year with only a raw QB locked in to be here who wasnt good enough to start in college even after a National Championship fill in on his resume. We play in the same division as the Pats. We have an old stadium. We have a ton of FA's going into the offseason. Our draft pick slot isn't going to likely be top 15.

So with those things already working against us in any coaching or FA recruitment, why add to it by making such a loud move against Rex that might add more reasons to make this job less attractive?

Note: If Lynn is the guy, this likely has no impact...but Lynn also is rumored for the Rams job, so we may have competition for him.

1. Knowing Rex (in reputation anyways), he wanted to leave the team with a win and wanted to play TT. Management wanted to be sure he didn't get hurt and weren't married to that contract. Likely told Rex that he needed to bench TT for the last game and wasn't going to do it.

2. See #1 but add, They needed to make a decision to see if EJ was actually better or just a camp/practice hero. They have already seen what TT can do over 2 season and wanted to keep him healthy for the off-season.

3. See 1 and 2. Also, Rex was the one that inquired on his future and they both (Rex, Pegula) agreed to just take 1 to the head instead of 4 to the chest.

4. As someone that has never played anything other than pick up football in someones backyard, the implications seem pretty clear. Did management make the choice for who was starting, yes. What was the reason? They were out of the playoffs so why not protect your investment, possibly get a better draft position and evaluated the depth at QB and other positions in a game that was irrelevant?

I think any HC would be mad for sure if these things happened to them but this type of situation seems like a very, very rare happening.

Yeah, I read Vrentas' article that Rumblings piece was based on and there's a bit of weirdness there.

"According to multiple people with knowledge of the conversation, Ryan, Pegula and Whaley had had their standard weekly conversation last Tuesday. Thats when Ryan learned of the organizations decision to bench Taylor, the starting quarterback the past two seasons. The Bills were already eliminated from playoff contention, and there would have been a financial risk to playing Taylor. His $27.5 million salary for 2017 is guaranteed for injury only, so if he suffered a significant one in the season finale, the Bills would have been on the hook for money they may not want to pay. They also wanted to see the other quarterbacks on the roster, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones, get some game action."

Who are these multiple people with knowledge of the conversation? The only people in the conversation are Ryan and Pegula (Whaley initially). Either her source is Rex, which it could be - but then definitely one side of the conversation which may be slanted to make him look good. Or her source is someone at the watercooler collecting hearsay.

Either way, I wouldn't assume it's the whole story. And for heaven's sake! A football team eliminated from contention wants to evaluate depth, protect their contract options, and maybe improve their draft order. THE NERVE OF THOSE PEOPLE! Rex obviously had no choice but to ask for immediate firing.

Then there's this gem: "Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that hed be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didnt want to break his word"

What kind of football coach promises a player he'll start "no matter what, as long as he's the coach?" This is a performance-based business, you bench people if they don't perform. It's also a business, you hold people out of the game when you have a business reason to do so. Has anyone else ever heard such a meathead promise from an NFL head coach? Yet it's presented verbatim, with no commentary on how strange this is.

i assume her source is Rex, as she has done features on him before for MMQB. His camp is talking for sure

http://billsfanaticsbf.com/home/rex-ryan-s-reaction-bills-fanatics-insiders-get-inside-scoop

I don't know of a coaching candidate who has opted out of being a candidate because of the portrayal that this organization is in chaos. If you know of one then I would like to know. If a candidate is reluctant to pursue a job here because of the perception of internal conflicts then the candidate shouldn't apply.

The harsh reality in the world of the NFL is that at the end of every season coaches get fired from teams that have failed or underachieved. Are these types of lagging franchises usually less stable than consistently good teams? Absolutely.

There is a lot of noise about instability in Buffalo. It is exaggerated and doesn't reflect the real state of our franchise. The Bills are owned by owners who care and without hesitation will provide abundant amount of resources for the staff to work with. That certainly is a positive. Who would want to work for the type of owner such as the fool owner in Indianapolis or San Francisco?

The Pegulas made a mistake in hiring a huckster buffoon who in short order has decimated two franchises. Rex was dispatched for cause by owners who badly want to succeed. Anyone who gets hired will be working for owners who are going to be supportive. Anyone who gets hired will be working for owners who are committed to winning.

When all is said and done and all the openings are evaluated and compared Buffalo should be at the top or near the top of the list as an attractive place to work. What would make this job even more enticing is for the GM to take bold action and acquire a franchise qb!