Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rdb,

So depressing to read your sig but thanks for putting it there. Gives a quick perspective of the last 17 years.

Bills Coaches since Wade:
Rex Ryan[/vb] .483 Perry Fewell .428 Chan Gailey .333
Doug Marrone .469 Dick Jauron .421
Mike Mularkey .438 Gregg Williams .354

Oh well. Have fun storming the Bastille. I have to take my 8 year old to a birthday party.

If your kid is not a Bills fan I'm gonna say thats your fault not the Bills. My daughter is older than your kid, but she's a HUGE Bills fan. In her tenure as a Bills fan she's seen 3 playoff losses and 4 or 5 winning seasons.

But her, my wife, and I have had a lot of fun and family bonding rooting for the Bills.

There are worse things in life than rooting for a bad football team.

I hope your 8 year old has fun at the birthday party.

Joe Gibbs

Bill Parcells

George Allen

Marty Schottenheimer

Bill Cowher (pre-Roethlisberger)

Bud Grant (pre-Tarkenton)

George Halas

Mike Ditka

do you mean undisciplined on or off the field?

All I know is our defense was great under Schwartz. It's just Hughes is a bonehead regardless of coach.

On the field.

I just remember watching games when he was in Detroit and they would lose due to some bone headed play or penalty.

Yeah, our D was really good with him in 2014. But I still think he's a bad HC based on what I saw in Detroit. If the alternative is Scwartz, I'd rather roll with Rex for another year.

Edited by reddogblitz

Not defending Rex at all, but I'd call that a stretch. We had no QB, defense was good on paper, but still managed to allow teams to score go-ahead points at the close of games. Likely would have lost FA's over past two years on the defensive side, while I think they could have played better than they have, we'd still have the same issues on offensive. Also not sure without Rex's run first offense, would we have scored as many points as we have?

The defense he inherited was one of the best in the league and he turned it into one of the worst. That's not a convenient oversight but a fact. More broadly, he's shown no propensity to coach (examples: poor game plans, no discipline) and shouldn't have lasted this long.

Not defending Rex at all, but I'd call that a stretch. We had no QB, defense was good on paper, but still managed to allow teams to score go-ahead points at the close of games. Likely would have lost FA's over past two years on the defensive side, while I think they could have played better than they have, we'd still have the same issues on offensive. Also not sure without Rex's run first offense, would we have scored as many points as we have?

Good on paper? :huh:

We were having this discussion in another thread recently...No offense really...We're all on the same side here...But I swear...Only a Bills fan would take one of the rare good things this franchise has done over the past 16 years and minimize it...Incredible...The Bills actually made it hard to appreciate the nice things...

Well...Paper aside...They were good on the field too...Top 5 in a slew of defensive categories including 1st in 3rd down D and sacks...They were also 3rd in points per game, passing D, and takeaways...4th in points per game, and 5th in 1st downs per game...Even their poorer rankings were decent...11th in run D, and 14th in yards per rush...

So they were not the 2000 Ravens...They were not perfect...But they were damn good...Especially considering how tough it is to have a great D in this day and age of NFL Offense...And they were light years better than this garbage Rex has managed over the better part of these past 29 games...

Anyway...Enjoy the good things...Even celebrate them...They are few and far between with this team... B-)

Good on paper? :huh:

We were having this discussion in another thread recently...No offense really...We're all on the same side here...But I swear...Only a Bills fan would take one of the rare good things this franchise has done over the past 16 years and minimize it...Incredible...The Bills actually made it hard to appreciate the nice things...

Well...Paper aside...They were good on the field too...Top 5 in a slew of defensive categories including 1st in 3rd down D and sacks...They were also 3rd in points per game, passing D, and takeaways...4th in points per game, and 5th in 1st downs per game...Even their poorer rankings were decent...11th in run D, and 14th in yards per rush...

So they were not the 2000 Ravens...They were not perfect...But they were damn good...Especially considering how tough it is to have a great D in this day and age of NFL Offense...And they were light years better than this garbage Rex has managed over the better part of these past 29 games...

Anyway...Enjoy the good things...Even celebrate them...They are few and far between with this team... B-)

pretty much.

Pegula should have cleaned house but since it sounds like Whaley is secure, So if he doesn't get us a good coach and QB they all need to go if they don't produce with the new crew.

Lynn is the next HC

Bet on it

I can totally see that. It would be ridding the organization of Rex, but maintaining "continuity" with someone respected in the building and around the league. He also knows the personnel on hand already and how he can use them. At the same time, they spoke about finding a coach who has done it before during the last search b/c the learning curve is steep for a first time NFL head coach. Which leads me to believe a decision on Rex hasn't been made yet. If it has, there is no reason not to let A. Lynn take over and see how he runs the ship the last few games.

If they lose to the Browns though, I would bet Rex fired before midnight.

Edited by purple haze

Updated story from Schefter posted at 2am; says Rex likely coaching his final games

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18301314/rex-ryan-likely-coaching-final-game-buffalo-bills-head-coach

As Buffalo tries to prevent Cleveland from winning its first game of the season on Sunday, Rex Ryan is probably coaching his final games as the Bills' head coach, according to league sources.

Ryan is aware of what's ahead, sources said, which creates an awkward situation surrounding the Bills until the change is made.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Updated story from Schefter posted at 2am; says Rex likely coaching his final game

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18301314/rex-ryan-likely-coaching-final-game-buffalo-bills-head-coach

Again a misread of the article. It says final GAMES, plural. Not to harp on this Yolo, you're one of my favorite posters, but reading comprehension is non-existent at TSW.

Again a misread of the article. It says final GAMES, plural. Not to harp on this Yolo, you're one of my favorite posters, but reading comprehension is non-existent at TSW.

Yea but they are tricky about it. The link to the article has this "rex-ryan-likely-coaching-final-game-buffalo-bills-head-coach", then the headline is they are "preparing to move on" then they say "final games".

Tricksy media hobbitsis.

Yea but they are tricky about it. The link to the article has this "rex-ryan-likely-coaching-final-game-buffalo-bills-head-coach", then the headline is they are "preparing to move on" then they say "final games".

Tricksy media hobbitsis.

ha! I knew I could read. Sometimes.

The Bills have been mediocre, at best, for 18 years. Ticket sales will certainly not grind to a halt, or even decrease much now no matter what OBD decides. You overestimate, in my opinion, the average Bills fans requirement of a winner. Look at the entire history of the Bills, and even the Sabres. The average Bills fan requires only that the team stay in Buffalo to be loyal and financially support the team. You can argue if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a thing.

Based on recent history it's hard to argue with your point about attendance not being directly linked to on-field success. It's fair to surmise that this is a huge selling point as to why the Pegulas became interested in owning each of these teams.

The Sabres were supported quite well throughout the tank/rebuild, especially once GMTM took it right down to the studs. This was mainly because, I think, fans trusted that there would be a bright future. But let's remember, ticket elasticity was a bit more of an issue just as the Pegulas took over the Sabres' franchise. It only improved once Darcy was finally sent packing, and the Nolan-LaFontaine combination served to get the fans to forgive.

What exactly do Bills fans now have to look forward to?

I view Rex's hire as being almost that same type of Nolan-LaFontaine fan-appeasement figure... to sell tickets immediately (for sure) & to possibly take us to the playoffs if he could work some magic with our roster talent. I just think we are now at the point where he has not shown any ability to do the 2nd part. Many of us die-hard Bills fans are tired of Rex's salesmanship and things, and Whaley's fatal flaw of not wanting to admit a mistake and move on.

I do not believe Bills fans will just blindly support a plan of continuity going into 2017, and I also think the Pegulas know this.