Its Tuesday Night. Sleep on it.

bobobonators

I compiled the following. For people who like numbers like I do you may appreciate it. For those who dont you wont care. Stats are stats. Numbers are numbers. Wins trump all. But thats the fun of sports. Anyway here we go:

Since 2015. For QBs. Instead of a simple TD/INT ratio i looked at TOTAL TD/TOTAL TURNOVER ratio which consists of passing and rushing TD and INT/fumbles lost for QBs. I also included Dak even though he didnt play last yr. Its a ratio and i figured 11 games was a decent sample size for Dak

1. Tom Brady - 5.7

2. Dak - 4.6

3. Tyrod - 3.33

4. Russel Wilson - 2.94

5. Rodgers - 2.82

6. Brees - 2.71

7. Cam - 2.63

8. Alex Smith - 2.62

9. Stafford - 2.48

10. Cousins - 2.45

11. Dalton - 2.39

12. Carr - 2.25

13. Palmer - 1.89

14. Eli - 1.83

15. Big Ben - 1.8

16. Rivers - 1.73

17. Mariota - 1.71

18. Tannehill - 1.64

19. M. Ryan - 1.62

20. Luck - 1.46

21. Fitz - 1.39

22. Flacco - 1.15

Tom Brady has contributed to 5.7x more TD than turnovers.

That was actually a complete waste of my time. Cheers.

Edited by bobobonators

I compiled the following. For people who like numbers like I do you may appreciate it. For those who dont you wont care. Stats are stats. Numbers are numbers. Wins trump all. But thats the fun of sports. Anyway here we go:

Since 2015. For QBs. Instead of a simple TD/INT ratio i looked at TOTAL TD/TOTAL TURNOVER ratio which consists of passing and rushing TD and INT/fumbles lost for QBs. I also included Dak even though he didnt play last yr. Its a ratio and i figured 11 games was a decent sample size for Dak

1. Tom Brady - 5.7

2. Dak - 4.6

3. Tyrod - 3.33

4. Russel Wilson - 2.94

5. Rodgers - 2.82

6. Brees - 2.71

7. Cam - 2.63

8. Alex Smith - 2.62

9. Stafford - 2.48

10. Cousins - 2.45

11. Dalton - 2.39

12. Carr - 2.25

13. Palmer - 1.89

14. Eli - 1.83

15. Big Ben - 1.8

16. Rivers - 1.73

17. Mariota - 1.71

18. Tannehill - 1.64

19. M. Ryan - 1.62

20. Luck - 1.46

21. Fitz - 1.39

22. Flacco - 1.15

I like these numbers. Kinda makes you wonder on AVG TT is attributing around 24.33 points to the offense before a turnover.

So now that makes me wonder why it doesn't translate to more wins. I get by these numbers you essentially start off 0-2 with the Pats.

I can attribute a lot of last year to the injuries on defense so I would like to see a regression or progression number from Tyrod in 2015 to 2016. Hold on I will help out.

2015 - 3.42 (14 games)

2016 - 3.2 (11 games)

2015 PPG 22.5

2016 PPG 21.0

So by these numbers we should almost be winning every game minus the 2 against NE.

I know it doesn't work this way but something is holding this team back in the win column.

Edited by MAJBobby

Did you hear about this on WGR

Good post and good info

HAHA. Seriously. It may be just as bad to be honest. No i got the idea from another thread where MajBobby was discussing TD/INT ratio. I just decided to include both rushing and passing TDs in addition to INT and fumbles lost.

This is just one number and means very little by itself. Its not meant to rank QB's by how good they really are. Just looking at how often a QB is involved in a TD compared to how often they cough it up to the other team.

I like these numbers. Kinda makes you wonder on AVG TT is attributing around 24.33 points to the offense.

So now that makes me wonder why it doesn't translate to more wins. I get by these numbers you essentially start off 0-2 with the Pats.

I can attribute a lot of last year to the injuries on defense so I would like to see a regression or progression number from Tyrod in 2015 to 2016. Hold on I will help out.

2015 - 3.42 (14 games)

2016 - 3.2 (11 games)

2015 PPG 22.5

2016 PPG 21.0

So by these numbers we should almost be winning every game minus the 2 against NE.

I know it doesn't work this way but something is holding this team back in the win column.

Hard to say really. Its one of those things where numbers dont tell the whole story. Just having fun to see where certain QBs ranked in this manner. Theres definitely a slight correlation between the quality of QB at the top of that list compared to the quality at the bottom. Obviously with some outliers (like TT - hes obviously not at the same level as the QBs in that top 5)

2015 Passing Touchdowns list (Top 20...err 21):

1 Tom Brady*.............36
2 Eli Manning*...........35
3 Blake Bortles..........35
4 Carson Palmer*......35
5 Cam Newton*+.......35
6 Russell Wilson*.......34
7 Drew Brees............32
8 Matthew Stafford....32
9 Derek Carr*............32
10 Aaron Rodgers*...31
11 Ryan Fitzpatrick...31
12 Philip Rivers.........29
13 Kirk Cousins.........29
14 Andy Dalton.........25
15 Ryan Tannehill.....24
16 Jameis Winston*..22
17 Matt Ryan............21
18 Jay Cutler.............21
19 Ben Roethlisberger* 21
20 Alex Smith...........20
21 Tyrod Taylor*.......20
You included a ratio, and added rushing touchdowns to make Taylor's numbers appear elite. The problem is that on a purely passing scale, he's simply put, below average. You need to score to win, and as cute as efficient ratios might be, it's the reason we only scored 7 points and lost to the Ravens in Week 1.

So Tyrod at 3.3 is twice as good as Ben at 1.8?

HAHA. Thats not what that metric says at all. All it simply says is that for every 1.8 TD that Ben is involved in, hes also involved in 1 turnover. (Since last year at least)

4 Carson Palmer*......35

5 Cam Newton*+.......35

8 Matthew Stafford....32

10 Aaron Rodgers*...31

11 Ryan Fitzpatrick...31

15 Ryan Tannehill.....24

16 Jameis Winston*..22

You included a ratio, and added rushing touchdowns to make Taylor's numbers appear elite. The problem is that on a purely passing scale, he's simply put, below average. You need to score to win, and as cute as efficient ratios might be, it's the reason we only scored 7 points and lost to the Ravens in Week 1.

Actually i didnt fudge any numbers. And im not ranking QB by how GOOD they are. If i wanted to talk "scoring" i could simply repeat the following to you and shut you up:

"QB of the 8th ranked scoring offense in the NFL". The end.

Thats not what im doing here. I simply want to see how frequently a QB contributes to a TD compared to a turnover. Its a team game. If you turn the ball over you directly impact your probability of winning so it cant completely be ignored. That being said you also cant compare Brees to TT when it comes to sheer scoring. This metric isnt a zero sum scenario.

At the end of the day a TD is a TD is a TD and a Turnover is what it is. When Tyrod runs it in should it not count? Panthers should trade cam then.

HAHA. Thats not what that metric says at all. All it simply says is that for every 1.8 TD that Ben is involved in, hes also involved in 1 turnover. (Since last year at least)

Actually i didnt fudge any numbers. And im not ranking QB by how GOOD they are. If i wanted to talk "scoring" i could simply repeat the following to you and shut you up:

"QB of the 8th ranked scoring offense in the NFL". The end.

Thats not what im doing here. I simply want to see how frequently a QB contributes to a TD compared to a turnover. Its a team game. If you turn the ball over you directly impact your probability of winning so it cant completely be ignored. That being said you also cant compare Brees to TT when it comes to sheer scoring. This metric isnt a zero sum scenario.

At the end of the day a TD is a TD is a TD and a Turnover is what it is. When Tyrod runs it in should it not count? Panthers should trade cam then.

No crap. My point was that no one is arguing Tyrod isn't a dynamic running QB that plays it safe. Of course he is. He is, if nothing else, an electric player that doesn't take chances. Your stat did a good job of indicating that. I didn't say you fudged the numbers at all, I'm just suggesting that they don't tell the whole story, the story of Taylor as a passing QB.

Thank you OP for contributing useful content.

Of that list there are about 6-7 names of quarterbacks that I wouldn't want over TT, because to me they do not provide the 'it' factor. The game winning clutch mentality. I would take Flaco before so many of those others. Flaco did it, put his team on his back and went on a great playoff and Super Bowl run. I think another piece to that stat you provided OP is when during the game and where on the field they occur.

Those kind of posts are cool. Thank you.

I like these numbers. Kinda makes you wonder on AVG TT is attributing around 24.33 points to the offense before a turnover.

2015 - 3.42 (14 games)

2016 - 3.2 (11 games)

2015 PPG 22.5

2016 PPG 21.0

i'd say third downs are a major reason. We dont convert them enough to extend drives and our defense gives up to many third and longs

No crap. My point was that no one is arguing Tyrod isn't a dynamic running QB that plays it safe. Of course he is. He is, if nothing else, an electric player that doesn't take chances. Your stat did a good job of indicating that. I didn't say you fudged the numbers at all, I'm just suggesting that they don't tell the whole story, the story of Taylor as a passing QB.

Is there a QB standard I've missed somewhere that asserts a QB may only be properly measured as a "true passer?" The QB is the leader of the offense; if he is generating points and not turning the ball over he's doing his job. Get out of the old school mindset that a QB is only good if he's throwing the ball all over the field.

The only area in which I'm "on the fence" about Tyrod is his ability to lead a 4th Q comeback (although technically he did it Sunday). Finishing off the Seattle game would have been huge.

A lot can happen over the next five games, obviously, but right now I'd put my own money down that the Bills will not opt out of Tyrod's deal after the season.

2015 - 3.42 (14 games)

2016 - 3.2 (11 games)

2015 PPG 22.5

2016 PPG 21.0

You answered your own question... Defense

Who's to blame:

Baltimore loss - offense

Jets loss - defense

NE loss - defense

Miami loss - defense

Seattle loss - defense

Team sport bro

4 Carson Palmer*......35
5 Cam Newton*+.......35
8 Matthew Stafford....32
10 Aaron Rodgers*...31
11 Ryan Fitzpatrick...31
15 Ryan Tannehill.....24
16 Jameis Winston*..22

What is the difference, I think this shows he puts up points & he doesn't turn the ball over. He is not your conventional QB. He is not throwing for 300 yards a game. But where he lacks in that he makes up for in his running ability. This Bills offense under TT has put points over a sustainable period of time like no other offense since the Kelly days. Does he have to get better in hitting guys in stride & being more accurate, absolutely, but he is by far our best option going into next year & the forseeable future. If he ever hit the free agent market there would be teams lining up to sign him, you could count on that.

Scoring points hasn't been an issue. Don't they lead the league in points scored on in the top 3 or so? Yes amazing you pick out the one game where the offense only scored 7 points. Take that game out and what did they score? Typically enough points that most teams win.

So on a pure passing scale he's below average, OK fine, but there is more to football than just passing. Is TT a great franchise QB, no but he's not close to being the reason we're 6-5. I'd put the blame on the defense if anything. Given the amount of points we've scored, we should have at least two more wins I'd estimate.

2015 - 3.42 (14 games)

2016 - 3.2 (11 games)

2015 PPG 22.5

2016 PPG 21.0

Good post. Here's my answer. The stat MOST correlated with winning and losing in the NFL over the decades is passer rating differential. The Bills this year have an 87.3 collective rating (sack yards are factored in, btw), and our opponents have an 87.2 rating. I think our secondary has been the weak link this year, and the loss of Aaron Williams probably cost us the Seattle game. Plus darby has been underperforming while Gilmore has only been pretty decent. I don't know about you, but I don't have much faith in our defense when it's in obvious passing situations and the qb is decent (and/or AJ Green or his equivalent is actually on the field). They really, really struggle against big receivers. Edited by dave mcbride

Good post. Here's my answer. The stat MOST correlated with winning and losing in the NFL over the decades is passer rating differential. The Bills this year have an 87.3 collective rating (sack yards are factored in, btw), and our opponents have an 87.2 rating. I think our secondary has been the weak link this year, and the loss of Aaron Williams probably cost us the Seattle game. Plus darby has been underperforming while Gilmore has only been pretty decent. I don't know about you, but I don't have much faith in our defense when it's in obvious passing situations and the qb is decent (and/or AJ Green or his equivalent is actually on the field). They really, really struggle against big receivers.

That is the answer. If the DBs come up with a few key stops vs Jets & Dolphins, Bills are sitting pretty right now.

You answered your own question... Defense

Who's to blame:

Baltimore loss - offense

Jets loss - defense

NE loss - defense

Miami loss - defense

Seattle loss - defense

Team sport bro

Numbers don't show tht though

What that might suggest is that avoiding turnovers should't be as much of a priority as the Bills seem to be making it...

Now there could be the point

What that might suggest is that avoiding turnovers should't be as much of a priority as the Bills seem to be making it...

Now there could be the point

You are most likely correct. When i have time later Ill elaborate more on how i think the ratio may or may not be relevant.

A quote that piqued my interest because the old adage is that turnover differential is the key to winning. Here is what I found...

NFL Team Turnover Margin per game - You have to go all the way to the #10 team (Philly) to find a team with a losing record. 15 of the top 16 teams have a winning record.

NFL Plus Minus - Tied for 9th (with 5 other teams) is Philly again. They are the only team in the top 15 to have a losing record.

Teams with the least turnovers (used same link as plus minus) - The top 11 all have a winning record.

It appears that avoiding turnovers is VERY important and should be as much of a priority as the Bills are making it.

Edited by section122

A quote that piqued my interest because the old adage is that turnover differential is the key to winning. Here is what I found...

NFL Team Turnover Margin per game - You have to go all the way to the #10 team (Philly) to find a team with a losing record. 15 of the top 16 teams have a winning record.

NFL Plus Minus - Tied for 9th (with 5 other teams) is Philly again. They are the only team in the top 15 to have a losing record.

Teams with the least turnovers (used same link as plus minus) - The top 11 all have a winning record.

It appears that avoiding turnovers is VERY important and should be as much of a priority as the Bills are making it.

Maybe the total number of plus minus like you said. But in terms of turnover ratio for a QB doesn't seem that it should be such a priority that the QB leaves plays on the field because he is afraid of turning the ball over.

Also how many QBs in 11 games have 11 TDs throwing 5 running for 16 total

Maybe the total number of plus minus like you said. But in terms of turnover ratio for a QB doesn't seem that it should be such a priority that the QB leaves plays on the field because he is afraid of turning the ball over.

Also how many QBs in 11 games have 11 TDs throwing 5 running for 16 total

You know I'm a sucker for numbers huh? I know I shouldn't do your homework for you but...

Here is a list of total QB tds for 2016.

Tyrod has 16 total TDs. More than; Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton, Russel Wilson, Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford

Tyrod has 11 passing TDs. That is as many as Joe Flacco, Russel Wilson, and Carson Wentz.

That is a lot of guys that you keep saying are so much better than Tyrod.

Tyrod has 5 rushing TDs. That is good for 16th in the league INCLUDING rbs.

At some point with all of these facts thrown at you about how well the Bills offense is playing, where TT's numbers stack up, etc... you are going to have to give him and the Bills some credit.

Edited by section122

1. Tom Brady - 5.7

2. Dak - 4.6

3. Tyrod - 3.33

4. Russel Wilson - 2.94

5. Rodgers - 2.82

6. Brees - 2.71

7. Cam - 2.63

8. Alex Smith - 2.62

9. Stafford - 2.48

10. Cousins - 2.45

11. Dalton - 2.39

12. Carr - 2.25

13. Palmer - 1.89

14. Eli - 1.83

15. Big Ben - 1.8

16. Rivers - 1.73

17. Mariota - 1.71

18. Tannehill - 1.64

19. M. Ryan - 1.62

20. Luck - 1.46

21. Fitz - 1.39

22. Flacco - 1.15

Bolded are QBs that lead their teams to the playoffs either last year, or this year (if the season ended today). As much as the ratio is nice, I don't think it really tells us all that much in terms of real success.

Bolded are QBs that lead their teams to the playoffs either last year, or this year (if the season ended today). As much as the ratio is nice, I don't think it really tells us all that much in terms of real success.

13 of the top 15 doesn't say something to you? It certainly isn't the end all be all but I think it says something.

13 of the top 15 doesn't say something to you? It certainly isn't the end all be all but I think it says something.

And 3 out of the bottom 5 also 'made it'.

It says that Tyrod takes care of the ball relative to scoring, but that's about it, really. Would you rather have 3 TDs and 1 INT, or 5 TDs and 2 INTs in a game? Without context, I'd choose the latter, because INTs can happen anywhere on the field, and don't automatically mean a score... whereas the TDs are TDs, no matter.

Edit: To further my point that this stat kinda lacks needed context... What would you prefer, driving down the field 40 yards, and throwing an INT at the opposing 20, or going three and out and punting to the opposing 20? On paper, people would automatically say the interception is worse, but in reality, one could argue that a drive ending in INT is better in terms of ToP, and resting your defense.

Edited by Dorkington

And 3 out of the bottom 5 also 'made it'.

It says that Tyrod takes care of the ball relative to scoring, but that's about it, really. Would you rather have 3 TDs and 1 INT, or 5 TDs and 2 INTs in a game? Without context, I'd choose the latter, because INTs can happen anywhere on the field, and don't automatically mean a score... whereas the TDs are TDs, no matter.

Small correction. 3 of the bottom 16 made it. The list cuts off at 22 but there are at least 32 teams in the league. Add in that 1 of the bottom 10 made it and again I fully admit that it isn't end all be all but it does say something.

Small correction. 3 of the bottom 16 made it. The list cuts off at 22 but there are at least 32 teams in the league. Add in that 1 of the bottom 10 made it and again I fully admit that it isn't end all be all but it does say something.

It doesn't really change my point. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that Tyrod is ranked where he's at, but I also don't see it as a huge predictor of success due to the way a 'ratio' works, and the impact it actually has on a game. Not all turnovers are equally bad. Whereas all TDs are equally good.

It doesn't really change my point. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that Tyrod is ranked where he's at, but I also don't see it as a huge predictor of success due to the way a 'ratio' works, and the impact it actually has on a game. Not all turnovers are equally bad. Whereas all TDs are equally good.

Not around here they aren't :nana::lol:

Just like not all wins are good? :lol:

(Edit: I guess it could be argued that a quick bomb when your defense is tired is relatively bad compared to a sustained drive, but both are equally good in the points department)

Edited by Dorkington

So to elaborate, I went back and counted all the Games Started for each of the QB's above (since 2015 - with the exception of Dak obviously), and calculated their winning percentage over that stretch (in bold). As you can see, overall there is some slight correlation in that the upper portion of the group by and large has a winning % and the bottom portion has a losing %. There are outliers: Brees is an outlier in that his winning % is bad relative to his TD/Turnover ratio ranking; and Big Ben/Matt Ryan are outliers in that their winning percentage is good relative to their TD/Turnover ratios.

Again, this list isn't ranking QB's in terms of how good they are overall. In no universe is TT better than Rodgers or Brees or Big Ben. The ratio simply looks at the QB position and assigns a number which puts into perspective how many total TD's the QB is directly responsible for relative to total turnovers (including fumbles).

1. Tom Brady - 5.7; .783
2. Dak - 4.6; .909
3. Tyrod - 3.33; .560
4. Russel Wilson - 2.94; .630
5. Rodgers - 2.82; .556
6. Brees - 2.71; .462
7. Cam - 2.63; .731
8. Alex Smith - 2.62; .692
9. Stafford - 2.48; .519
10. Cousins - 2.45; .556
11. Dalton - 2.39; .542
12. Carr - 2.25; .593
13. Palmer - 1.89; .615
14. Eli - 1.83; .519
15. Big Ben - 1.8; .619
16. Rivers - 1.73; .333
17. Mariota - 1.71; .375
18. Tannehill - 1.64; .481
19. M. Ryan - 1.62; .556
20. Luck - 1.46; .412
21. Fitz - 1.39; .480
22. Flacco - 1.15; .429

Edited by bobobonators

I feel that the total TD/total Turnover ratio has slight significance in the following way: look at Brees for example. Brees pretty much blew away most of the QB's on that list with total TD's (I think he had 69 total TD's - I'd have to go back and look). The guy literally puts up video game scoring stats every year. Despite all of that scoring that he's directly responsible for, the Saints continue to suck (generally). When you stop and think about it, it's pretty mind blowing that a QB like Brees isn't in the playoffs every single year, and yet he's not. What's part of the problem? It's a double-edged sword. Part of the problem is that the Saints defense is horrible. The Saints defense can't stop the opposing offense on a regular drive, so when you compound the defense's deficiency with a Turnover it inevitably leads to another score by the opposing team. It gets to the point with a team like the Saints (and very similarly, the Falcons, Chargers, Packers, etc), that no matter how much Brees scores, he can't overcome the defense's deficiency. It's almost impossible to not have a good amount of turnovers when you're throwing 40-50x a game (Brady was really the only exception), no matter how frequently you score.

None of this is news really. I like seeing the numbers behind things.