Starting QB

Tenhigh

Starting QB  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB next week?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue is that Goodwin and Harvin were getting pushed around off their routes a ton in bump and run. This will throw timing off - and generally force you to check down. We needed to go deep to make them pay.

Very true. But he was missing checks to Clay over the middle and a few other wide open receivers. Its not an elite wr crew but you have to throw some of those balls.

Can't dispute that Cardale probably isn't ready yet, but I think there's a decent chance he would outperform TT right now. He seems to be more accurate and have better touch on short routes than TT does, and he definitely won't panic and bail on a clean pocket like TT loves to do. Cardale will probably turn the ball over more, but I bet he would put more points on the board, too.

And with a rookie if this proved to be even remotely true. Cardale would be the move. I want a qb with enough confidence to go out make mistakes and learn. If you think thats Cardale next year should be his year

Did Cardale light up the preseason like Dak did? Obviously, he didn't so that comparison isn't really apples to apples. Cardale is a project who literally wasnt ready to be the starter in college and lost his job because of it. And lets not forget, the Dak Prescotts of the NFL dont come around very often. Its very rare a QB comes into the league and has the kind of success he has had. Its also very rare a young QB comes into one of the best offensive lines of the last decade, and probably the best one along with a great TE, WR, and studly stable of running backs.

Our offense is not the Cowboys which is loaded around Dak...and Cardale is not Dak. 100% guarantee that Cardale will not play this year while we are in contention for playoffs without injuries to both TT and EJ. And the same people calling for him to start will be the same people demanding he gets cut if he somehow made it into a game because he would fail due to not being ready and not enough playmakers around him to help.

What a crock... I've seen every Dallas game so far, including pre-season and have LOST COUNT of Dak's bad throws... There are TONS of them... Does he suck? -Clearly not...The lesson here, is that young players WON'T ALWAYS LOOK GOOD... Dak is a fantastic young player who's finding his way as a pro... Cardale should be afforded the same opportunity.

Edited by #34fan

What a crock... I've seen every Dallas game so far, including pre-season and have LOST COUNT of Dak's bad throws... There are TONS of them... Does he suck? -Clearly not...The lesson here, is that young players WON'T ALWAYS LOOK GOOD... Dak is a fantastic young player who's finding his way as a pro... Cardale should be afforded the same opportunity.

Now let's see how many Bad throws Dak actually throws by a site that actually logs that stuff and has same grading criteria for every QB.

He has a 15.19% Bad throw percentage just above Tom Brady. Put him with the 14th overall lowest %

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-bad-pass-percentage/2016/

Now let's see how many Bad throws Dak actually throws by a site that actually logs that stuff and has same grading criteria for every QB.

He has a 15.19% Bad throw percentage just above Tom Brady. Put him with the 14th overall lowest %

This is exactly why we should be playing Cardale.... We could have the next great NFL arm on the bench, and not even know it.... Btw, Tyrod is bottom of the frickin' barrel on that list :lol: ... Too many schitty throws for a 6-year vet... What does he average? 193 passing YPG in 10 games? -Brady averages 319 in just 6 games... Prescott, 264, and they pretty much threw him in WET... How long should we continue accepting the bare minimum as fans?

Edited by #34fan

I love these sorts of stats, and they really do make the discussion interesting. That being said, their pure objectivity can be deceiving, and no one should be too quick to draw conclusions from these things. Obviously, there are variables missing. For example, QBs are more likely to make a bad throw when they have poor protection and are more likely to have DEs bearing down on them.

Ryan Tannehill is #5 on this list. In the end, subjectivity matters.

Edited by Rocky Landing

As long as we are not eliminated from post season play you have to go with the experienced hand (Tyrod) obviously. If/when we are eliminated and assuming Tyrod fails to improve I would start Cardale. That is unlikely to happen though because they need to give Tyrod his shot and given his contractual situation the more they see of him the better. I expect that even if his performance continues to flatline, Rex will back him to Pegs and Whaley.

I defer to posters who closely follow Ohio State so there is little doubt that Cardale is raw and has big holes in his game. He looks to me to have a pretty good head on his shoulders though so I doubt that playing in a few games at season's end would hamper his development. What it would do though is give him some reps and live action experience that IMO could only help him progress. It would also give everyone interested in the team, Pegs, Whaley, the coaches and, yes, the fans, a chance to start evaluating him.

The sample size is ridiculously small, but I saw him make a couple of throws in preseason that all evidence would suggest Tyrod is simply unable to do. They were eye popping throws and as good as any you will see a franchise guy make (and it really doesn't matter that he was going against players who may now be flipping burgers). His footwork is often not what you would want to see but if memory serves some of the throws were still good because, though inexperienced, he was reacting quickly as a result of good field vision (he really didn't have time to set up properly, though admittedly ideally he should have) and his ridiculous arm strength compensated for poor mechanics.

If he were to see the field you would have to limit the playbook but if not asked to do too much he could perhaps be effective.

Not writing off Tyrod by any means and I think that his progression might be hindered by gameplans the coaches think give us the best chance of winning. Nobody wants turnovers but if you don't take chances you are a lot easier to defend. The real problem though may well be that he is not equiped to take those chances with an acceptable risk/reward profile. If that is the case, they have no business exercising that option. Sign a vet and make sure you think hard about drafting QBs.

Once we're eliminated, Cardale should be playing. But Rex won't do it because he has a better chance of winning games with a more experienced quarterback. And he wants to win a few because it will make him look better once he's fired. Insofar as EJ goes, fogetit.

Well we can have owner dictate who will be QB but that has been criticized extensively in past.

Rex could decide to give the rookie some snaps but some snapping turtles with PMS will use that as way to bash him even if they agree with that approach.

It Bills have decided to NOT pick up TT's option it is a valid strategy but as long as TT is healthy and they are considering picking up option every game is another data point in evaluation.

I do think the landscape of the NFL has changed rather dramatically in just the last few seasons. A couple of years ago you needed a QB or you may as well not show up. Very good to great QBs were able to raise rather mediocre teams into playoff contenders. But that seems to have shifted to the point where guys like Rodgers and Roethlisberger are on middling teams because their defenses are putrid and other defenses are able to out-athlete or out-scheme their offenses. I think more than ever you can build a very good football team around a "caretaker" QB, my biggest concern with TT moving forward is his contract goes from being a bargain to a major deal next year, I think the decision is much less "is Tyrod a better choice than player X" and much more "are we better off with paying a "step down" (or a draft pick) QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and using the salary cap elsewhere"?

Where teams really get into trouble is the contract that Tyrod will step into soon, ie paying a non-franchise QB at the level of a franchise QB. Paying Flacco has caused a ripple down talent drain in Baltimore. That's my biggest concern with TT.

I think you could put Rodgers or Roethlisberger onto this team and we still wouldn't be able to sling it around the yard averaging 30+ PPG simply because we don't have the horses at WR to accomplish that. But I do think we can make some improvements to the defense and ratchet it up another level, improve the offensive line slightly more to make the run game better while paying a QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and be as good if not better.

This post reflects my opinion as well. When the QB absorbs more of the salary cap (and yes I know it is inflating faster than the national debt) he needs to make more of an impact and I cannot see TT doing that next year. TT certainly has limitations based on the WR set he has especially with WR Byrd Watkins not playing due to foot issues but more limitations based on what he can do.

Those are the same people that voted for Jill Stein. They also prefer Kia to Ferrari, Arbor Day to Christmas and kale to ice cream.

That is fine as long as they do not prefer wine and cheese served with their PSL's - I can't stand those guys!

Our offense is not the Cowboys which is loaded around Dak...and Cardale is not Dak. 100% guarantee that Cardale will not play this year while we are in contention for playoffs without injuries to both TT and EJ. And the same people calling for him to start will be the same people demanding he gets cut if he somehow made it into a game because he would fail due to not being ready and not enough playmakers around him to help.

Exactly.

I like TT a lot, as you know, but I'd like to see TT's skills in a bigger, taller body as I am not sure TT can actually see the field that well as he "plays small". That bigger taller TT is CJ, but it will be 2018 before we see him. OBD in a big pickle here. I still just wonder if they pass on the TT 27mil and go with EJ for a year until CJ is ready. That way they can keep the rest of the roster together and also make it better. Hell, we're a 100% run game and defense team with TT right now and will probably end up 10-6 or 9-7, it almost doesn't matter who the QB is . I'd rather keep trying other big tall rocket arm QBs until we get one who can play at least to TT's current level. That means giving up on 2017, though, although I for one think EJ can play the Trent Dilfer role just fine. Or else TT needs to grow about 4 inches and add 20 lbs.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Unless TT looks a lot better in the next 6 games , $27M next season is way too much.

Get ready to renegotiate that contract or let him walk. JMO

Realistically what are the options to improve the position short term? I think OBD pays the guy. That said he is not worth that guaranteed $$$$$$.

I like TT a lot, as you know, but I'd like to see TT's skills in a bigger, taller body as I am not sure TT can actually see the field that well as he "plays small". That bigger taller TT is CJ, but it will be 2018 before we see him. OBD in a big pickle here. I still just wonder if they pass on the TT 27mil and go with EJ for a year until CJ is ready. That way they can keep the rest of the roster together and also make it better. Hell, we're a 100% run game and defense team with TT right now and will probably end up 10-6 or 9-7, it almost doesn't matter who the QB is . I'd rather keep trying other big tall rocket arm QBs until we get one who can play at least to TT's current level. That means giving up on 2017, though, although I for one think EJ can play the Trent Dilfer role just fine. Or else TT needs to grow about 4 inches and add 20 lbs.

Platform cleats?

Looks like a close race

Once we're eliminated, Cardale should be playing. But Rex won't do it because he has a better chance of winning games with a more experienced quarterback. And he wants to win a few because it will make him look better once he's fired. Insofar as EJ goes, fogetit.

Cardale is not active for a reason. However I do believe Whaley sees him as our QB of the future.

So Whaley took a QB in the 4th round who's a 2 - 3 year project? Brilliant.

Dak Prescott is leading the Cowboys to the Super Bowl potentially, and the Bills are developing a 4th round 3 year project QB?

It was a supplemental pick if I remember correctly so 4th but not really and that is exactly when you start to draft such players.

Edited by manbeast

He very well might.

Given his total lack of understanding of the QB position in football, that's not good.

He signed an average NFL starting QB for a couple million dollars a year. I don't know how (even the people that inexplicably hate him) can call that anything but a big success. I know a lot of people credit Rex for that but surely Whaley played a role. You don't get the production that the Bills have gotten out of Tyrod for the price that they paid almost ever.

He signed an average NFL starting QB for a couple million dollars a year. I don't know how (even the people that inexplicably hate him) can call that anything but a big success. I know a lot of people credit Rex for that but surely Whaley played a role. You don't get the production that the Bills have gotten out of Tyrod for the price that they paid almost ever.

I think people hate Tyrod for a number of reasons. Hes not a traditional QB, i think many people would rather see a traditional pocket passer, because thats what seems to win games. Especially later in games, when a team is down by 7-10 points, a running QB is less likely to be able to score enough to pull out a win. Its alot on a QB's plate to run and pass. I feel like its been proven over years and years that running QB's have limited success.

That, put together with the fact that our organization, over the last 5-6 or more years, devotes far more resources to positions less valueable than QB, baffels many fans. For example, while teams like the Eagles, Vikings, and yes, the Cowboys, are using the majority of their resources identifying and going out and getting the most important piece of the puzzle,we are treading water and mortaging the farm on DE's and WR's.

I dont hate Tyrod, i really dont. I just really do not see him as any sort of future sustainable success for the team. And if he has one more stinker like last week, for the rest of this season, where these games matter SO much, i dont see how anyone could defend him anymore.

^^^

Agree that a lot of the TT hate is that he's not a traditional passer. Me, I absolutely hate big QBs who are statues with no mobility, especially when they have no pocket presence. I love seeing people drool all over them just because they have a big arm, and I laugh whenever they get pummeled in the pocket. I was not at all happy when Flacco got a ring, but Joe is deceiving; he may be a big Gomer, but he can move when he has to.

Edited by Rico

^^^

I think a lot of the TT hate is that he's not a traditional passer. Me, I absolutely hate big QBs who are statues with no mobility, especially when they have no pocket presence. I love seeing people drool all over them just because they have a big arm, and I laugh whenever they get pummeled in the pocket. I was not at all happy when Flacco got a ring, but Joe is deceiving; he may be a big Gomer, but he can move when he has to.

If we were beating good teams in the final seconds of games on his arm half of the people that are complaining would probably stop complaining.

Myself......when we pick up his option (and its not if people....its when) we need to think about getting more players on the field that fit his skill set.....

Get rid of guys like Goodwin who wont fight for contested balls.....get more players that have large catch radius and WILL fight for contested balls. Hunter is actually a good start I hope he stays. Quietly Hunter has been a TD machine since he came to the team. Sammy is young and just needs a healthy season.

Would like to see the Bears and Bucs approach to pass catching targets.

If we were beating good teams in the final seconds of games on his arm half of the people that are complaining would probably stop complaining.

Myself......when we pick up his option (and its not if people....its when) we need to think about getting more players on the field that fit his skill set.....

Get rid of guys like Goodwin who wont fight for contested balls.....get more players that have large catch radius and WILL fight for contested balls. Hunter is actually a good start I hope he stays. Quietly Hunter has been a TD machine since he came to the team. Sammy is young and just needs a healthy season.

Would like to see the Bears and Bucs approach to pass catching targets.

The neutered-Bears, and the Suckaneers?! - :lol: John, you have to be joking! -As long as Tom Brady plays in this division, NOTHING except an equally dominant quarterback will supplant his ownwership... Period... For all his athleticism, Tyrod cannot WILL games to an outcome, like Brady can....That's a key difference between a backup, and a starter...-The intangible "will".... It's what separated Russsell Wilson, and Dak Prescott from their unfortunate predecessors... It's what made Flutie the better choice to start over Johnson... It's what led Kelly to 4 consecutive AFC championships... Settling for someone who's merely "good enough" gets you precisely what we've got. -Nothing.

The neutered-Bears, and the Suckaneers?! - :lol: John, you have to be joking! -As long as Tom Brady plays in this division, NOTHING except an equally dominant quarterback will supplant his ownwership... Period... For all his athleticism, Tyrod cannot WILL games to an outcome, like Brady can....That's a key difference between a backup, and a starter...-The intangible "will".... It's what separated Russsell Wilson, and Dak Prescott from their unfortunate predecessors... It's what made Flutie the better choice to start over Johnson... It's what led Kelly to 4 consecutive AFC championships... Settling for someone who's merely "good enough" gets you precisely what we've got. -Nothing.

Just because those teams are not good does not mean that their approach to wide receivers is flawed.

And Tyrod is not a backup QB.....you can believe that if you want

Just because those teams are not good does not mean that their approach to wide receivers is flawed.

And Tyrod is not a backup QB.....you can believe that if you want

Oh, he's not just any-old backup... He's the best in the league.... TT is a guy that can come in, and definitely NOT lose a game for you... That's worth ALOT in the NFL... -Just not 27.5 million... If it's any consolation, I think part of the problem is Dave Lee... WORST quarterbacks coach ever... That mofo needs to go...

Oh, he's not just any-old backup... He's the best in the league.... TT is a guy that can come in, and definitely NOT lose a game for you... That's worth ALOT in the NFL... -Just not 27.5 million... If it's any consolation, I think part of the problem is Dave Lee... WORST quarterbacks coach ever... That mofo needs to go...

Agreed David Lee is worthless

that extension is good for a middling level starting contract in the NFL.......which is about where Tyrod currently sits.

but he is also throwing to street free agents, guys coming out of retirement, and guys on and off the injury list so far this year......take away Green from Dalton and he probably does not even play as well as TT does.