Starting QB

Tenhigh

Starting QB  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB next week?

Taylor should remain QB rest of season. There needs to be a decision on him in offseason so these next games are needed to evaluate for that decision.

Aren't you arguing that we should get rid of him after the season and start whatever rookie we draft? Wouldn't you logically then want Cardale to finish off the season based on that point of view?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poll really should be for next year, but I understand why it's for next week. The issue isn't who is going to start from week to week, the issue is more long-term. Tyrod is NOT the answer long-term and every week he continues to show why....good to great QBs elevate the players, others simply play to the level that surrounds them. So, we can make all kinds of excuses for no Woods / Watkins / McCoy, yet teams like the Seahawks who routinely don't Draft WRs high and use late round or Undrafted WRs to go to and win Super Bowls.

Aren't you arguing that we should get rid of him after the season and start whatever rookie we draft? Wouldn't you logically then want Cardale to finish off the season based on that point of view?

I think Bobby has been consistent that his opinion of not taking the deal has been based on what he's seen to this point, not that they shouldn't take the deal period. I'd assume he wants to see the rest of the year to reaffirm his opinion.

I am arguing that I am not picking up his option. However 6 games can change that argument.

In 6 games if I see 5 like he played in Seattle then I am closer to paying 16M cap hit for that play.

He has earned this evaluation period. I also know I have still a year or two before Cardale is even close to ready to step on a field

I think Bobby has been consistent that his opinion of not taking the deal has been based on what he's seen to this point, not that they shouldn't take the deal period. I'd assume he wants to see the rest of the year to reaffirm his opinion.

Correct. Seattle game had me start thinking wow ok maybe the light is on. Maybe this is where he is going.

Granted came out Sunday and regressed back to where he has been so now more so thinking Seattle was the anomaly.

However important position (most important) so I want as many games I can see from him to finalize what I want to do with him.

Not like brining any other QB puts this team in the playoffs because they won't be, so last 6 games I would run a Modern NFL offense (Similar to what I did in Seattle) and help me make a decision on Tyrod going forward

There are like 6 teams looking for QBs every year. This year it'll probably be Jets, Browns, Bears, 49ers, maybe zona or Jax and i guess us. There are like no can't miss rookie QBs in this draft, and the browns 49ers jets bears get 4 shots before we would get one.

So that means we'd have to overpay for cutler/mccown/fitz/RG3/Kaepernick or something. And for the cutler fans - career 1-1 in playoffs, and that was 6 years ago. I just don't know if he has it in him.

So having watched many of those guys play... they are no more accurate than Tyrod. Without a solid WR option the bengals played press pretty much every snap to throw off his timing. It's easier to run on since you can block right off the snap, but guys were struggling to get off the line all game.

I'm sure there were throws to be made etc. but I also didn't think we called a particularly good game to get guys open out of press coverage. We have like 0 bunch formations, and we don't use motion enough to get people open.

His new contract is essentially a 2 year deal with an out in year 3. I'd pick it up.

This is a good summation of the QB landscape. It needs to be factored in. I can't see a situation where Tyrod isn't the QB in 2017. That doesn't mean that he is perfect (at all) it just means that he is the best option.

I am arguing that I am not picking up his option. However 6 games can change that argument.

In 6 games if I see 5 like he played in Seattle then I am closer to paying 16M cap hit for that play.

He has earned this evaluation period. I also know I have still a year or two before Cardale is even close to ready to step on a field

I was referring to your argument with John in another thread that we'd be just as well or better off starting a rookie.

TT was bad yesterday but there isn't even a conversation to be had about this. He's the starter for the remainder of the season.

As for next year, I'm torn. You don't want to get rid of a guy who is in the top 2/3 of the NFL and it's incredibly tough to find quality QBing but the more I see of TT the less I think he'll ever be a QB who makes quick decisions and makes accurate throws - which is what you need for sustained success in the NFL.

and who would you like our quarterback to throw it to?..........shown yesterday over and over and over.....we arent winning the match ups

I was referring to your argument with John in another thread that we'd be just as well or better off starting a rookie.

You would get no drop off imo based off recent rookie play. It was in response to his statement that a rookie QB would be throwing game ending picks and we would not be where we are .500 with a rookie

and who would you like our quarterback to throw it to?..........shown yesterday over and over and over.....we arent winning the match ups

There were open WRs a lot. The All22 will confirm this

You would get no drop off imo based off recent rookie play. It was in response to his statement that a rookie QB would be throwing game ending picks and we would not be where we are .500 with a rookie

There were open WRs a lot. The All22 will confirm this

But you understand that if we draft a rookie and start him that we have absolutely NO IDEA whether the part in red would be accurate, right?

Edited by Tenhigh

But you understand that if we draft a rookie and start him that we have absolutely NO IDEA whether the part in red would be accurate, right?

According to the trends in the NFL I have a very good feeling this team as built right now would be exactly .500 with even a rookie QB.

And yes it is my opinion based on what I see in the NFL that would be accurate.

Edited by MAJBobby

All 23 votes that are not for Tyrod are nuts. The only way EJ starts for this team again is if we are still in the hunt and Tyrod gets hurt. In that scenario they wouldn't want to throw Cardale out there. If they give up on Tyrod (no sign they will) then Cardale should play.

My issue is that Goodwin and Harvin were getting pushed around off their routes a ton in bump and run. This will throw timing off - and generally force you to check down. We needed to go deep to make them pay.

Can get pushed off your route that's fine are you at the right depth on time? For the most part they were. Maybe timing doesn't become an issue either if your QB isn't looking to Bail on the pocket immediately.

It's very obvious that Tyrod is the answer to the poll. There is a chasm between him and the other QBs on the roster. Cardale has a ton of physical tools but is still 2 years away IMO. I like him and have seen every snap that he's ever played. He has a chance to be good but shouldn't see the field before 2018.

Can't dispute that Cardale probably isn't ready yet, but I think there's a decent chance he would outperform TT right now. He seems to be more accurate and have better touch on short routes than TT does, and he definitely won't panic and bail on a clean pocket like TT loves to do. Cardale will probably turn the ball over more, but I bet he would put more points on the board, too.