Starting QB

Tenhigh

Starting QB  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB next week?

Can't dispute that Cardale probably isn't ready yet, but I think there's a decent chance he would outperform TT right now. He seems to be more accurate and have better touch on short routes than TT does, and he definitely won't panic and bail on a clean pocket like TT loves to do. Cardale will probably turn the ball over more, but I bet he would put more points on the board, too.

I don't. He has 0 concept of touch. And mechanics are non existent (which is to be expected seeing he was a ground up rebuild). Not to mention because of lack of mechanics is inaccurate.

TT is your QB this year.

Next year (unfortunately) will likely be QB as well because Rex will still be coach.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale Jones 6' 5". a Big bodied QB like Big Ben. Has a quick release of the football. A gun for an arm. Great Pocket Presence. Would like to see him with starters. Got to get better than Tyrod Taylor who showed me over and over he is not a Franchise QB.

Only after we are eliminated but I agree I would love to see what he has. he looked good in the pre-season

Remember he is a slow cook. (Cardale)

Strengths

Great size to see over offensive line and bulk to withstand NFL hits. Pocket passer with as much arm as you need. Generates very good velocity without having to get feet set. Can rip it into tight quarters, challenge field-­side cornerbacks and attack safeties over the top. Almost 11 percent of his pass attempts were 20-plus yard completions. Completed 59 percent of intermediate throws and 41 percent of deep throws. Touch and ball placement on long ball is pro caliber. Can drop feathery, touch throws on fade routes. Has size, athleticism and toughness to call his own number in run game and is a chain mover as a scrambler. Interceptions generally due to overthrows and poor timing over bad decision­-making. Though not yet a strength, did show ability to get through progressions and find third option.

Weaknesses

Handed starting job and never owned it. Disappointing accuracy issues with difficulty hitting simple slants. Uncorked interceptions where unrushed pocket throws sailed way over the top of targets. Eyeballs receivers and brings heat from instinctive linebackers and defensive backs. Had issues reading and reacting to zone coverage underneath. Doesn't hold safeties with his eyes. Failed to execute timing throws out in rhythm. Will pump and re­set too often forcing out routes against the sideline. Tends to overthrow near goal line and leave touchdown passes on the field. Saw completion numbers drop almost 30 percent when forced to throw on the move. Below average pocket feel and blitz awareness. Was unable to move from checkers to chess against defensive coordinators.

Draft Projection

Rounds 4 or 5

Sources Tell Us

"You want to buy into the size and arm but his accuracy and game management just aren't there yet. He doesn't even have 300 passes under his belt! Compare him to (Teddy) Bridewater and (Derek) Carr. Blows those guys away with the physical stuff but he can't touch their poise and leadership as young quarterbacks." -- NFL offensive coordinator

NFL Comparison

Logan Thomas

Bottom Line

Jones is like a complicated meal that may or may not have all the ingredients present and will likely take a long time to prepare. Will the pay­off be worth the investment of time? Jones has very little starting experience and struggled to adjust once defensive coordinators had time to prepare for him this season. The right quarterback coach and passing scheme could promote rapid improvement and high-end production with his ability to strike downfield, but his issues with consistency and accuracy make the "bust" label a very real concern.

Edited by MAJBobby

I don't. He has 0 concept of touch. And mechanics are non existent (which is to be expected seeing he was a ground up rebuild). Not to mention because of lack of mechanics is inaccurate.

TT is your QB this year.

Next year (unfortunately) will likely be QB as well because Rex will still be coach.

3xz2BKqajaSGpBLmec.gif

I do think the landscape of the NFL has changed rather dramatically in just the last few seasons. A couple of years ago you needed a QB or you may as well not show up. Very good to great QBs were able to raise rather mediocre teams into playoff contenders. But that seems to have shifted to the point where guys like Rodgers and Roethlisberger are on middling teams because their defenses are putrid and other defenses are able to out-athlete or out-scheme their offenses. I think more than ever you can build a very good football team around a "caretaker" QB, my biggest concern with TT moving forward is his contract goes from being a bargain to a major deal next year, I think the decision is much less "is Tyrod a better choice than player X" and much more "are we better off with paying a "step down" (or a draft pick) QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and using the salary cap elsewhere"?

Where teams really get into trouble is the contract that Tyrod will step into soon, ie paying a non-franchise QB at the level of a franchise QB. Paying Flacco has caused a ripple down talent drain in Baltimore. That's my biggest concern with TT.

I think you could put Rodgers or Roethlisberger onto this team and we still wouldn't be able to sling it around the yard averaging 30+ PPG simply because we don't have the horses at WR to accomplish that. But I do think we can make some improvements to the defense and ratchet it up another level, improve the offensive line slightly more to make the run game better while paying a QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and be as good if not better.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Seriously?

We need to win out, and this is even an option in some fans' minds?

And who is this mysterious "other," anyway?

OK, I picked "other":

Meet Ryrod Kelflutsoe.

He has the elusiveness and lack of turnovers with Taylor, the arm of Bledsoe, the brain of Fitzpatrick, the x factor of Kelly, the heart of Flutie.

Wow--12 voted for EJ??

wtf, that's scaryhilarious

I do think the landscape of the NFL has changed rather dramatically in just the last few seasons. A couple of years ago you needed a QB or you may as well not show up. Very good to great QBs were able to raise rather mediocre teams into playoff contenders. But that seems to have shifted to the point where guys like Rodgers and Roethlisberger are on middling teams because their defenses are putrid and other defenses are able to out-athlete or out-scheme their offenses. I think more than ever you can build a very good football team around a "caretaker" QB, my biggest concern with TT moving forward is his contract goes from being a bargain to a major deal next year, I think the decision is much less "is Tyrod a better choice than player X" and much more "are we better off with paying a "step down" (or a draft pick) QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and using the salary cap elsewhere"?

Where teams really get into trouble is the contract that Tyrod will step into soon, ie paying a non-franchise QB at the level of a franchise QB. Paying Flacco has caused a ripple down talent drain in Baltimore. That's my biggest concern with TT.

I think you could put Rodgers or Roethlisberger onto this team and we still wouldn't be able to sling it around the yard averaging 30+ PPG simply because we don't have the horses at WR to accomplish that. But I do think we can make some improvements to the defense and ratchet it up another level, improve the offensive line slightly more to make the run game better while paying a QB a fraction of Tyrod's contract and be as good if not better.

Where are the caretaker QBs on SuperBowl Sunday?

Why isn't JT Barrett on the list? He is the QB that Cardale Jones could not beat out for the starting job in college after winning the national championship. In a very small body of work, Jones showed he has size, toughness, and a cannon for an arm. I just don't believe he is anywhere close to being able to play against a NFL defense. But who honestly knows.

That said it is TT to the playoffs and this discussion will be done.

Seriously?

We need to win out, and this is even an option in some fans' minds?

And who is this mysterious "other," anyway?

OK, I picked "other":

Meet Ryrod Kelflutsoe.

He has the elusiveness and lack of turnovers with Taylor, the arm of Bledsoe, the brain of Fitzpatrick, the x factor of Kelly, the heart of Flutie.

Course we could also create the perfectly bad QB out of former Bills if we want to tank and get a better draft pick.

Meet Thadle Joe Edwardson.

The lack of heart of Orton, the checkdown philosophy of Edwards, the lack of preparation of Billy Joe Hobert, the desperation of Thad Lewis and the IQ of Rob Johnson.

Why isn't JT Barrett on the list? He is the QB that Cardale Jones could not beat out for the starting job in college after winning the national championship. In a very small body of work, Jones showed he has size, toughness, and a cannon for an arm. I just don't believe he is anywhere close to being able to play against a NFL defense. But who honestly knows.

That said it is TT to the playoffs and this discussion will be done.

See "Other"....

Course we could also create the perfectly bad QB out of former Bills if we want to tank and get a better draft pick.

Meet Thadle Joe Edwardson.

The lack of heart of Orton, the checkdown philosophy of Edwards, the lack of preparation of Billy Joe Hobert, the desperation of Thad Lewis and the IQ of Rob Johnson.

You forgot a few. Flutie's height, Taylor's inability to see the middle of the field, Bledsoe's mobility and Fitzie's overestimation of his arm strength.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I would like to see what another QB could do on some of the plays TT has a lot of time to throw the ball and doesn't pull the trigger but I'm realistic, he's the starter and will continue to be as long as he is healthy.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I would like to see what another QB could do on some of the plays TT has a lot of time to throw the ball and doesn't pull the trigger but I'm realistic, he's the starter and will continue to be as long as he is healthy.

What about the flip side when he spins away from 2 guys? We never even talk about those plays but I will bet that he makes the most rushers miss in the NFL. He keeps a lot of plays alive that 95% of QBs would be sacked on.