Pats trade Jamie Collins

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting news. Seems like another poor move by the Browns who need to build through the draft. A 3rd rounder is a potential day one starter that can be locked up for 4+ years on low rookie salary hit. This year is over for this team, so they essentially trade a 3rd rounder for the rights to sign this guy to a huge contract. Crazy to me. The only positive I see is perhaps it will cost the Pats a Super Bowl this year, but somehow I doubt it.

For this year, it looks like a lose-lose. Presumably the Pats figure they have enough LB depth to win, which is probably right, but it's taking a chance on avoiding injuries. Collins will help the Browns go from abysmal to terrible or maybe all the way to pretty bad. Whoopee. Probably not enough to screw up and lose the top draft pick.

Long term, it's a disaster for the Browns and a win for the Pats. I'm shocked, shocked.

Also goes to where the Pats Value their players. They are often moving on from Defensive players at the end of their Rookie Contracts or Value contracts. Bills are re-signing these players. Maybe they should realize that as good as a player Dareus is he will NEVER live up to that extension. As good as Mario was he was NEVER going to live up to that deal.

I am actually OK with the Hughes re-signing because that deal was pretty good. They move on from Chandler Jones (going to get big money) plug and play a value passrusher. Again maybe just maybe their Defensive coaches don't need top end talent to have a pretty good defense, Yes that also goes with having a top end offense as well

None of this is comparable without the Bills having a HoF QB as well.

Very interesting news. Seems like another poor move by the Browns who need to build through the draft. A 3rd rounder is a potential day one starter that can be locked up for 4+ years on low rookie salary hit. This year is over for this team, so they essentially trade a 3rd rounder for the rights to sign this guy to a huge contract. Crazy to me. The only positive I see is perhaps it will cost the Pats a Super Bowl this year, but somehow I doubt it.

I assume their intention is to extend him. They have the payroll to frontload this and have him be the face of their Defense for the next several years. Their top 3 cap hits are haden, thomas, and tramon williams at the end of deals. I assume they cut RG3, McCown or both, and draft someone #1 overall. They drafted several WRs so they should have some depth there. I believe they will try to extend Pryor as well. Crowell and Duke aren't a bad pair of backs.

They have 5 of the first 65 picks in the draft, including the likely #1 overall pick. 3 other comp picks in rounds 4/5. And a ton of young people under cheap contracts. Next year is fill out the roster with more talent. The year after that, they probably make some FA splashes to try and make the jump.

Edited by dneveu

The timing is odd considering he's what I consider to be their best defensive player and clearly they are making a SB run. They could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick if they waited until FA and let him walk. Only difference is they get one in 2017 now vs 2018. Clears less than half mill off 2016 cap.

Odd timing and situation

That's pretty crazy. Something must've went down. He was one of their best defenders! U could argue that Brady is their most important defensive piece.

So he gets to face us again????

Edited by r00tabaga

Traded to browns for third round pick

those crazy Patriots, only they can get away with this. Schefter said that Collins wanted Von Miller money and knew they weren't going to pay him that much while he was playing only half the snaps yesterday.

Don't know how any player would have any loyalty to the Patriots.

I can't imagine the meltdown this board would have of Whaley did something like this...but, per some reports he was frequently out of place in the Defense and was asking for a lot of money making negotiations difficult. I wish this team would take this approach sometimes....but NE has the coaching to overcome this type of stance.

They ditched Jones and Collins. Nobody's safe on their defense

or offense

only Tom and Gronk are sacred.

I can't imagine the meltdown this board would have of Whaley did something like this...but, per some reports he was frequently out of place in the Defense and was asking for a lot of money making negotiations difficult. I wish this team would take this approach sometimes....but NE has the coaching to overcome this type of stance.

and awesome QB and history of winning.

Also ditched Welker, Woodhead and some Olinemen I can't remember.

Welker left on his own for more $$ in FA (they tried to sighn him. And woodhead moved on and got Paid big time.

IMO players are attracted to NE because you can do a 1-2 year prove it deal and go get paid elsewhere. (Some stay as they like winning over a few million more a year.)

Moss back in 2010...

I think they gave a th and got a 3rd from Minnesota.. was a get out of here you cancer... type move

Welker left on his own for more $$ in FA (they tried to sighn him. And woodhead moved on and got Paid big time.

IMO players are attracted to NE because you can do a 1-2 year prove it deal and go get paid elsewhere. (Some stay as they like winning over a few million more a year.)

I think they gave a th and got a 3rd from Minnesota.. was a get out of here you cancer... type move

I dont think that is only relevant to NE. Heck, we've done it with Spikes, Incognito, Rambo, ZBrown, and Alexander.