Is Tyrod anti-clutch?

GG

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, its the one thing I don't like about him...he comes up small at the biggest times of the game, going back even to last year with few if any exceptions.

However in this game, I'm not sure how much we can pin on him. Top 4 WR's out, Shady out, OL not blocking worth a damn, how much can he do?

Once again

No Sammy

No 2nd WR

Pass protection patetic

NO running game

Tyrod is a system qb....the system failed him

john

Do you read posts before responding? This is over six different games over his entire Buffalo career, with most having the full complement of WRs and RBs

He panics like a child. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Titans game last year is the only game I recall winning on the final drive, down.

His game needs to mature.

Imo

It wasn't the final drive.

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

This^

I read just fine

This board is very reactionary......this post was made based on this last game

I think that showing stats from six separate games over two years does not qualify as reactionary, but as demonstrating a pattern.

but but TT let them to a TD on the closing drive...there was no INT, or turnover, so how is he anti-clutch?

One score or less. Pay attention.

His game isn't built for "clutch" drives. It's built for big plays and game management. He makes big plays with his legs, arm, and improvisation. He rarely allows his team to get beat in the turnover battle. That combination is enough for him to be the best or among the best post playoff drought QB's we have had. It is enough to make the playoffs and even win a Super Bowl so long as he has an incredible complimentary squad. He is not to ever going to be a franchise guy in a traditional sense. He will always struggle to win with his arm and be consistent enough in execution to sustain game winning drives in clear passing situations. Not worth 20 million+ in my opinion. At the same time we will likely hurt as a result of his departure more than we gain. Blaming him as often as we see lately would indicate to me most people think he is hurting is. He isn't hurting us. His predecessor likely will hurt us. That said he isn't helping a great deal either. He provides a chance to win every game. That's what he does.

I think asking Tyrod to come back when we had a lead ALL GAME.....then our D allows 2 4th quarter scores is asking a lot.

He is a system qb.....this system is not biult to allow for that to happen

Again I say

WHo is he throwing to?

Six games. Not just today. Six games over two years. Three first downs.

I think asking Tyrod to come back when we had a lead ALL GAME.....then our D allows 2 4th quarter scores is asking a lot.

He is a system qb.....this system is not biult to allow for that to happen

Again I say

WHo is he throwing to?

And what was his excuse the other five times in the OP? Greg Roman?

Tyrod,to me, is the epitome of a game manager. Hes smart,fast, and plays to his strengths. Hes not going to put the team on his back and win a game all on his own. And hesjust not a pure passer.

How can anyone pin this loss on him? Our weapons are extremely depleated. Our offensive and defensive lines both were thoroughly beat. We lost this game in the trenches.

Anti clutch? No. He just dosent have the arm to take over a game. For this Bills team to win, they need to be firing on all cylinders.

This team is built to win by running the football and playing good defense. If they don't do both of those things well in any given game, they are very likely to lose that game. They are not a come from behind team because they don't do well when forced to throw the ball a lot. When you are behind late in the fourth quarter you become a one dimensional passing team. And the Bills obviously aren't good at that. So don't expect them to win many games from behind. It isn't going to happen. That is what you get with a running/defensive team. If you want a come from behind kind of team, then you need a pure pocket passer. And we don't have one that is any good. And we won't have one that is any good any time soon.

I haven't posted in about 4 years. I'm coming out of retirement to say I completely agree with the topic of this thread. On the last TD drive of the game, Tyrod was more focused on trash talking opponents after being pushed out of bounds instead of focusing on the fact that he still had a chance to win the game. His body language for the entire drive was that of a guy who already gave up on the game. His behavior reminded me of Cam Newton clamming up in front of that fumbled ball late in Super Bowl 50.

He comes up small in the big moments and big in the small moments, just like his mouth-breathing foot-loving coach.

Weren't the Bills up by 11 in the 3rd Q?

Another lame TT thread.

And then TT finished strong !

I like the part where we had 6 yards compared to the fins 170 plus.

All he does is win !

This team is built to win by running the football and playing good defense. If they don't do both of those things well in any given game, they are very likely to lose that game. They are not a come from behind team because they don't do well when forced to throw the ball a lot. When you are behind late in the fourth quarter you become a one dimensional passing team. And the Bills obviously aren't good at that. So don't expect them to win many games from behind. It isn't going to happen. That is what you get with a running/defensive team. If you want a come from behind kind of team, then you need a pure pocket passer. And we don't have one that is any good. And we won't have one that is any good any time soon.

We aren't built to pass but we are a professional football team. This is always funny

Tyrod is getting blasted on this board for no reason. Was he great? No. But he helped give the team a 17-6 lead late in the 3rd on a beautiful pass. This vaunted D with Shaq Lawson back should have been able to pin their ears back and shut it down after that. But no, they got gashed and sliced in every way possible. They were bullied. The playoffs may have gone down the tubes in that 4th Qtr today.

Tyrod is getting blasted on this board for no reason. Was he great? No. But he helped give the team a 17-6 lead late in the 3rd on a beautiful pass. This vaunted D with Shaq Lawson back should have been able to pin their ears back and shut it down after that. But no, they got gashed and sliced in every way possible. They were bullied. The playoffs may have gone down the tubes in that 4th Qtr today.

And he got kudos last week and the week before such is life.

Once again

No Sammy

No 2nd WR

Pass protection patetic

NO running game

Tyrod is a system qb....the system failed him

The system didn't fail him the Buffalo defense did!!!

Tyrod had better stats than Tallywhacker!! In that game, Tyrod had one TD passing one TD rushing! Dunno how much more he can do as he can't pass the ball and catch it at the same time!

The biggest difference in the game was the Bills defense allowing Ajayi 214 yards rushing. It's like the Bills defenders forgot how to tackle in the fourth quarter!

What does that have to do with 3 first downs in six games over two years in clutch time?

What is clutch time? When your defense gives up a second half 2 score lead and you have to go win the game?

How big of a lead (with no significant WR and an already gimpy RB) is he supposed to spot this roster of defensive stars and to not have to come back for the win? This is the Miami Dolphins they were playing.

Edited by Mr. WEO

What is clutch time? When your defense gives up a second half 2 score lead and you have to go win the game?

How big of a lead (with no significant WR and an already gimpy RB) is he supposed to spot this roster of defensive stars and to not have to come back for the win? This is the Miami Dolphins they were playing.

I dunno. I define clutch time as your team down by 8 points or less late in the game and your team having the ball with under 4 minutes to go. What's your definition?

His game isn't built for "clutch" drives. It's built for big plays and game management. He makes big plays with his legs, arm, and improvisation. He rarely allows his team to get beat in the turnover battle. That combination is enough for him to be the best or among the best post playoff drought QB's we have had. It is enough to make the playoffs and even win a Super Bowl so long as he has an incredible complimentary squad. He is not to ever going to be a franchise guy in a traditional sense. He will always struggle to win with his arm and be consistent enough in execution to sustain game winning drives in clear passing situations. Not worth 20 million+ in my opinion. At the same time we will likely hurt as a result of his departure more than we gain. Blaming him as often as we see lately would indicate to me most people think he is hurting is. He isn't hurting us. His predecessor likely will hurt us. That said he isn't helping a great deal either. He provides a chance to win every game. That's what he does.

Fair and balanced post Mike

Probably the best analysis of the situation ever posted. People act like getting rid of him and the next guy will be Jim Kelly II. Meanwhile Tyrod has been the best QB we have had this century.

I dunno. I define clutch time as your team down by 8 points or less late in the game and your team having the ball with under 4 minutes to go. What's your definition?

He should be out there handing the ball off to his Pro Bowl RB sitting pretty on an 11 point lead in the second half, sipping the easy and refreshing Gatorades EJ serves him while his all star Defense destroys crappy offenses like Miami's.

Clutch time is the 4th Q---and not allowing the Dolphins to score 14 points in a game that's yours to win.

He should be out there handing the ball off to his Pro Bowl RB sitting pretty on an 11 point lead in the second half, sipping the easy and refreshing Gatorades EJ serves him while his all star Defense destroys crappy offenses like Miami's.

Clutch time is the 4th Q---and not allowing the Dolphins to score 14 points in a game that's yours to win.

Now why doesn't every NFL team do that? Sounds like an easy recipe for victory.

No matter how good or how bad a defense is - 3 first downs for 41 total yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs over 6 games in two years doesn't sound clutch to me.

Now why doesn't every NFL team do that? Sounds like an easy recipe for victory.

No matter how good or how bad a defense is - 3 first downs for 41 total yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs over 6 games in two years doesn't sound clutch to me.

Your question would seem to answer itself....Teams that have very good D's don't cough up late leads and fail to force bad teams into 3 and outs therefore don't need their QB to salvage the game in what has now become "clutch time".

That wasn't hard..

Your question would seem to answer itself....Teams that have very good D's don't cough up late leads and fail to force bad teams into 3 and outs therefore don't need their QB to salvage the game in what has now become "clutch time".

That wasn't hard..

If that were the case, Russell Wilson would never have a need for 4th quarter comebacks. Yet somehow, he's always at the top of the league.