Is Tyrod anti-clutch?

GG

I've said this about Taylor since last year. He's a good game manager when the defense shows up and plays. Look at the four wins before today. The defense generated 10 turnovers. Tyrod had to throw for an average of a whopping 156 yards per game. Those are game manager stats. Yesterday, we needed him to make plays and move the ball at the end of the game. He simply couldn't do it. Sadly, E.J. Manuel has had more success than Tyrod in these type of situations. I don't have disdain for any Bills QB's past or present. I want them to succeed. With that said, Tyrod is probably not the guy for the future.

Well, as long as you have Rex for a coach, you better have a guy like Tyrod for a quarterback. That is his type of QB for his type of system.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His game isn't built for "clutch" drives. It's built for big plays and game management. He makes big plays with his legs, arm, and improvisation. He rarely allows his team to get beat in the turnover battle. That combination is enough for him to be the best or among the best post playoff drought QB's we have had. It is enough to make the playoffs and even win a Super Bowl so long as he has an incredible complimentary squad. He is not to ever going to be a franchise guy in a traditional sense. He will always struggle to win with his arm and be consistent enough in execution to sustain game winning drives in clear passing situations. Not worth 20 million+ in my opinion. At the same time we will likely hurt as a result of his departure more than we gain. Blaming him as often as we see lately would indicate to me most people think he is hurting is. He isn't hurting us. His predecessor likely will hurt us. That said he isn't helping a great deal either. He provides a chance to win every game. That's what he does.

Great post. This is about where I see him as well right now.

TT through 7 games in 2015: 124 compl. / 176 att. / 70.5% compl. % / 1436 yards passing / 8.2 yards per attempt / 11 TD passes / 4 INT

TT through 7 games in 2016 (in essentially the same system): 117 compl. / 193 att. / 60.6 compl. % / 1297 yards passing / 6.7 yards per attempt / 8 TD passes / 2 INT

Well, as long as you have Rex for a coach, you better have a guy like Tyrod for a quarterback. That is his type of QB for his type of system.

Then we have to wait on more year, because the D isn't elite this year.

Yes.

I like Tyrod. I want him to succeed. He can make plays. That said he seems very limited and doesn't seem to making much progress in his second year of starting. To my amateur eyes he can't read most of the field. He picks a section of the field where he thinks the play should go and if his guy isn't fairly open then he's stuck. Guys are open all over the place, but if they aren't in his pre-determined section he just doesn't see them. He has accuracy issues. He is reluctant to throw a receiver open.

Right now he's not earning a franchise QB contract.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

He panics like a child. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Titans game last year is the only game I recall winning on the final drive, down.

His game needs to mature.

Imo

He didn't win on the final drive, down, vs. the Titans. They scored with over 5 minutes to go and the Titans had two more possessions.

His game isn't built for "clutch" drives. It's built for big plays and game management. He makes big plays with his legs, arm, and improvisation. He rarely allows his team to get beat in the turnover battle. That combination is enough for him to be the best or among the best post playoff drought QB's we have had. It is enough to make the playoffs and even win a Super Bowl so long as he has an incredible complimentary squad. He is not to ever going to be a franchise guy in a traditional sense. He will always struggle to win with his arm and be consistent enough in execution to sustain game winning drives in clear passing situations. Not worth 20 million+ in my opinion. At the same time we will likely hurt as a result of his departure more than we gain. Blaming him as often as we see lately would indicate to me most people think he is hurting is. He isn't hurting us. His predecessor likely will hurt us. That said he isn't helping a great deal either. He provides a chance to win every game. That's what he does.

^ This. Great post and well said.

the WORST part was when he let up 214 yards rushing. right up the middle!! just standing there on the sidelines, not making tackles. Go back and read his scouting report from college. It's right there, NOT A TACKLER. TENDS TO SIT ON SIDELINES WHILE DEFENSE PLAYS HARD. DOES NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE TO DEFENSE.

THERE'S your problem!

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I think the premise of this topic is correct, but I also agree with Kzoo Mike's post above. Mr. WEO: GG is basically right in that I do think that there will be games where the D craps the bed for whatever reason and the QB has to man up and deliver (at least once). In other words, if a game becomes a shootout late, a QB has to be carrying a pretty good revolver. Incidentally, I don't even count the Titans game because a) the comeback happened pretty early and b) the defense only gave up 13 points.

Having said all of this, CONTEXT MATTERS. Anyone discussing yesterday's game has to accept the fact that he had no RB, the right side of the line was brutally manhandled all game by Suh and Wake (and even Mario), and his WR squad was basically a track star, a guy who has been frequently cut and presumably has only the dimmest of understandings of the offense (Hunter), and a slew of guys none of us had ever heard of until late into training camp.

You really do need players to win in the NFL. Minus Watkins, Woods, and Shady, he's going to struggle. And let's be honest: we all know that the Dolphins have a supremely talented D-line even if they don't always show it. They showed it yesterday. The absolutely dominated. Suh was unblockable.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think the premise of this topic is correct, but I also agree with Kzoo Mike's post above. Mr. WEO: GG is basically right in that I do think that there will be games where the D craps the bed for whatever reason and the QB has to man up and deliver (at least once). In other words, if a game becomes a shootout late, a QB has to be carrying a pretty good revolver. Incidentally, I don't even count the Titans game because a) the comeback happened pretty early and b) the defense only gave up 13 points.

Having said all of this, CONTEXT MATTERS. Anyone discussing yesterday's game has to accept the fact that he had no RB, the right side of the line was brutally manhandled all game by Suh and Wake (and even Mario), and his WR squad was basically a track star, a guy who has been frequently cut and presumably has only the dimmest of understandings of the offense (Hunter), and a slew of guys none of us had ever heard of until late into training camp.

You really do need players to win in the NFL. Minus Watkins, Woods, and Shady, he's going to struggle. And let's be honest: we all know that the Dolphins have a supremely talented D-line even if they don't always show it. They showed it yesterday. The absolutely dominated. Suh was unblockable.

Nice post Dave!

Yesterday, the issue was the run D was awful. PFF (IIRC) said that we had 10+ players who missed 16 tackles and our DBs led the team in tackles. Throughout the whole game the 'phins OL was getting to our LBs immediately. It is astounding that we held the lead as long as we did...This is where you need an offense that can bail the D out and have long drives; we are a one trick pony offense and our pony has a bum leg...

In the past, TT has had weapons available and not been able to deliver; now whether that is to blame on Roman's play calling, WRs not knowing what to do, or on TT is up for debate, but it is in the past and is what it is. Yesterday, he had nothing. Mills was a rag doll that Wake had his way with and Suh, who is amazing when he wants to play, feasted on us. TT with no OL, no run game and awful WRs was not going to bring them back...s

The Bills D was healthy today (except Dareus). We had the lead going into the 4th.

A good defense shuts them down and closes the game out.

TT (as far as anyone can tell) will never be a 4th qtr comeback QB.

We lost this game because the defense stopped playing (not sure why). Arm tackles. Blown coverage. All against a bad Miami team.

Ill give Miami credit for showing up and playing tough, but we gave them the game.

Edited by Captain_Quint

The Bills D was healthy today (except Dareus). We had the lead going into the 4th.

We lost this game because the defense stopped playing (not sure why). Arm tackles. Blown coverage. All against a bad Miami team.

Ill give them credit for showing up, but we gave them the game.

The defense was on the field for 37+ minutes, fatigue was probably a factor in the 4th.

From what I've seen of Tyrod, his ability to protect the football, avoid hits for losses and fumbles, and not throw interceptions is also his greatest weakness when it comes to the 4th quarter comeback scenario. Sometimes in these situations the QB needs to operate with a gambler's mentality and take some chances. That looks to me to be contrary to his mental make up to the game. And it doesn't seem to be something you can just turn on or turn off whenever you please.

Ill give them credit for showing up, but we gave them the game.

The D didn't stop playing, they were man-handled and gassed; especially the DL. Once the ball was snapped the 'phins OL was right at our LBs. Surprisingly we actually held the lead into the 4th....

We will still in it, but everyone knew TT was not going to bring us back. He isn't a QB that will elevate other around him and that is what you need when you have awful WRs...

Edited by Reed83HOF

Ill give Miami credit for showing up and playing tough, but we gave them the game.

This is not a thread to dissect yesterday's game.