Time management, end of 2Q yesterday...discuss...

eball

Here's the play-by-play of the Bills' FG drive at the end of the 1st half yesterday:

1. Buffalo Bills at 01:56
  2. 4-G.Zuerlein kicks 65 yards from LA 35 to end zone, Touchback.
  3. 1-10-BUF 25(1:56) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short right to 25-L.McCoy to BUF 30 for 5 yards (26-M.Barron).
  4. 2-5-BUF 30(1:33) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short right to 10-R.Woods to BUF 39 for 9 yards (22-T.Johnson).
  5. 1-10-BUF 39(1:09) (Shotgun) 25-L.McCoy right tackle to BUF 48 for 9 yards (20-L.Joyner).
  6. Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:01.
  7. 2-1-BUF 48(1:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short left to 10-R.Woods.
  8. 3-1-BUF 48(:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short left to 10-R.Woods to LA 35 for 17 yards (31-M.Alexander).
  9. 1-10-LA 35(:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor sacked at LA 40 for -5 yards (93-E.Westbrooks).
  10. Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:24.
  11. 2-15-LA 40(:24) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 25-L.McCoy up the middle ran ob at LA 23 for 17 yards (25-T.McDonald).
  12. 1-10-LA 23(:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor scrambles left end to LA 19 for 4 yards (52-A.Ogletree).
  13. 2-6-LA 19(:09) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short left to 85-C.Clay to LA 5 for 14 yards (33-E.Gaines).
  14. Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:03.
  15. 1-5-LA 5(:03) 2-D.Carpenter 23 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-65-G.Sanborn, Holder-6-C.Schmidt.
  16. BUF 16 LA 13 Plays: 10 Possession: 1:56

Was this poor clock management or not? During the broadcast Gannon was pretty tough on the Bills. I think there was just one poor decision -- not calling TO after the Woods completion that gave them 1st down at the 35. Could have saved enough time to allow a shot at the EZ after the Clay completion.

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They displayed an absolute lack of any sense of urgency.

They ran off nearly half-a-minute any time they didn't call a time out.

With any sense of urgency at all, they get two shots at the end zone after the Clay catch inside the 5.

I'm not sure if it's on the sideline, or on Tyrod, or on some combination, but it's not a good look.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

The killer for me was Tyrod's pass to Woods. If he leads him to get out of bounds, saves roughly 9-10 seconds. Just a terrible throw given the situation.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of urgency yet, I hope that's part of the plan going forward. Need to be able to play at appropriate tempo and be comfortable with it.

I don't know, man...like John said, it would have been nice to see a shot or two at the end zone, but how can you argue with a 10-play, 70-yard drive to milk the clock and get points? That's almost textbook, I would say.

I attribute some of the lack of urgency to the coaching staff putting a priority or limiting mistakes. It is painful to watch at times but it seems they would rather milk the FG than hurry up and do things the offense isn't comfortable with which may lead to a back breaking mistake.

The only mistake was when Tyrod ran the ball out of bounds instead of just throwing it away when they were in the redzone... likely only cost the 2-3 seconds, but this extra time would have given us an opportunity for a shot at the endzone before settling for the kick.

Wrex has never been good with clock management, and never will be. Sadly, the best I expect is "not too bad".

Some people are never happy, even with a win.....

Yeah, guys like Bill Belichick.

A good team is competing with themselves as much as with the other team, constantly honing their performance, raising their standard of play. The idea is to eliminate mistakes, and fine tune the machine. These Bills have plenty to work on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I was confused at how harsh Gannon was on them. I thought the clock was managed pretty well there.

The reality is that the last completion to Clay skewed the perception. At that point, the Rams were going to give up anything in front of the endzone there. And if there was more time, we probably weren't going to see that same defense and the Clay catch at the 5 may not have happened.

But because they completed that reception down to the 5, the assumption was that the clock was mismanaged.

I heard Gannon ripping them, but if they called the TO when he thought they should have, there would have been one less available at the end. Often you'll see the Bills (and others) end the half with still having a TO left, if that had happened here it would be a legit point, but since that didn't happen really don't see much of a difference as to when you call it.

You can make the argument better to call them later is better when you know calling them isn't going to result in giving the ball back to the other team with more time for them to work with.

I think in general there's no urgency by any teams anymore in the two minute drills. I've been watching football since the mid 60's and seems to me all this "Omaha", "53's the Mike" does nothing but slow down the play calling. And it seems with todays play calling teams and QB's can' seem to function without that stuff, they can't just say well it's under 2 minutes I'll skip all that stuff to speed up the play calls. It's the same speed regardless of clock time left.

Here's the play-by-play of the Bills' FG drive at the end of the 1st half yesterday:

1. Buffalo Bills at 01:56
  2. 4-G.Zuerlein kicks 65 yards from LA 35 to end zone, Touchback.
  3. 1-10-BUF 25(1:56) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short right to 25-L.McCoy to BUF 30 for 5 yards (26-M.Barron).
  4. 2-5-BUF 30(1:33) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short right to 10-R.Woods to BUF 39 for 9 yards (22-T.Johnson).
  5. 1-10-BUF 39(1:09) (Shotgun) 25-L.McCoy right tackle to BUF 48 for 9 yards (20-L.Joyner).
  6. Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:01.
  7. 2-1-BUF 48(1:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short left to 10-R.Woods.
  8. 3-1-BUF 48(:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short left to 10-R.Woods to LA 35 for 17 yards (31-M.Alexander).
  9. 1-10-LA 35(:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor sacked at LA 40 for -5 yards (93-E.Westbrooks).
  10. Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:24.
  11. 2-15-LA 40(:24) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 25-L.McCoy up the middle ran ob at LA 23 for 17 yards (25-T.McDonald).
  12. 1-10-LA 23(:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor scrambles left end to LA 19 for 4 yards (52-A.Ogletree).
  13. 2-6-LA 19(:09) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass short left to 85-C.Clay to LA 5 for 14 yards (33-E.Gaines).
  14. Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:03.
  15. 1-5-LA 5(:03) 2-D.Carpenter 23 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-65-G.Sanborn, Holder-6-C.Schmidt.
  16. BUF 16 LA 13 Plays: 10 Possession: 1:56

Was this poor clock management or not? During the broadcast Gannon was pretty tough on the Bills. I think there was just one poor decision -- not calling TO after the Woods completion that gave them 1st down at the 35. Could have saved enough time to allow a shot at the EZ after the Clay completion.

Thoughts?

That's not clock management issues, that's just a bad pass.

The killer for me was Tyrod's pass to Woods. If he leads him to get out of bounds, saves roughly 9-10 seconds. Just a terrible throw given the situation.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of urgency yet, I hope that's part of the plan going forward. Need to be able to play at appropriate tempo and be comfortable with it.

True, but do you believe that TT deliberately didn't think to lead him or was it just another one of his somewhat off target passes. Considering how many others there were like that where the WR had to jump, stop, come back etc, I can't blame the play concept unless that was the plan

Situational football is the wheelhouse that clock management falls into. Just a pretty woeful error to make, hope it's a teachable moment for him.

True, but do you believe that TT deliberately didn't think to lead him or was it just another one of his somewhat off target passes. Considering how many others there were like that where the WR had to jump, stop, come back etc, I can't blame the play concept unless that was the plan

Whether it's Anthony Lynn, Chris Palmer, David Lee, I hope someone sees that in film review and just tells him to calm down, set his feet and make it easier for his guys.

It wasn't costly in that moment but there might be another one where it is. Stress the little things and hope he improves.

So NNNs are just channeling their inner Belichick? I guess they deserve some credit for this 3-game win streak, huh?

I'm happy with the win, but every team goes back to practice and works to improve what they didn't do well, no?

Some people like to discuss aspects of the team's play that they feel needs to improve.