3-2 but Tyrod has had 4 bad games this season

Yeezus

My thoughts -

Where he's pretty solid:

Extending plays

Not turning the ball over

Options/zone read - Keeps his eyes up field well during these.

Throwing on the run (no one's perfect at this, but he's made some of his better plays this year on the move)

Doesn't seem rattled

Where he needs to improve:

Ball placement - Too many lost yards by missing a guy in stride

Pre-snap reads/adjustments - If clay's running an option slant over the middle in the red zone, you may want to adjust your read to make that the primary... etc.

Decision-making - He can hold the ball a bit waiting for his guy to get open, rather than throw them open. A lot of this is reps and routine (knowing where your guy is going to be), which we're currently scrambling with all of our changes.

Footwork - Needs to step up in the pocket more when its there. Teams are playing more contain to try and keep him in there, use that additional time to set your feet and deliver better passes. We did more designed roll-outs to address pressure against STL since they were gashing us with blitzes. His footwork seems to be more consistent on these plays (even though almost all of them were just chucked out of bounds).

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Woods dropped slant alone would have added close to 30 yards or even more to TT's total. Perfect pass in stride with the middle of the field wide open. So TT should have had more like 160 yds passing.

He should have had more like 300 passing; he over/under threw a lot, too.

The Woods dropped slant alone would have added close to 30 yards or even more to TT's total. Perfect pass in stride with the middle of the field wide open. So TT should have had more like 160 yds passing.

How about his Miss to Woods that would have been a TD

It's so bizarre that so many posters here don't understand the concept of DEVELOPING your qb. TT has shown more than enough to warrant us doing exactly that with him. The people who clamor for draft a qb first round every year till we hit truly don't get it. None of these guys are ever fully ready to go from day 1. Even the rare #1 overall talents like Luck and Newton and Peyton. And it also depends on the coaching staff and philosophy on offense. TT is a gamer and an obsessively hard worker. A leader as well. I predict he will keep improving, but it won't be lightspeed fast. So many ignorant posters here.

the Bills caused this scrutiny when they PAID him like a Franchise QB when they didnt need to

Could also simply be that Woods isnt nearly as fast as Watkins and Goodwin, who he usually throws that ball to.

Or it is he is Inconsistent like he has been since college and has accuracy issues like he has since college

I didnt specifically say that TT is better than Alex. To me they are basically the same kind of QB. Look at their numbers. My point was that Alex still managed to go 11-5. It was Ryan who specifically said that Alex is a better QB

Look at their numbers last yr. In TT's first year as a starter he had more yds/attempt, the same TD's and one more INT in two fewer games than Alex. Completion % is similar. He also had more rushing yards and more rushing TD's than Alex. How many years has Alex been under the same system now? TT matched him statistically in 2 fewer games played and in his first yr starting. So how is Smith better? Maybe bc he doesnt play on the bills?

In two words: decision making.

In two more words: execution.

This goes a lot deeper than just stats.

There is no doubt that extraneous circumstances have helped to hinder TT's development this year, but we are seeing the exact same kind of issues he had last season, when he amassed some decent stats in spite of those short comings. The stats don't inform me though.

Could also simply be that Woods isnt nearly as fast as Watkins and Goodwin, who he usually throws that ball to.

That's still on the QB to know who he's throwing to and put it where they can catch it. The problem he had on that throw was he rushed it because he felt fantom pressure when all he had to do was step up into the pocket and launch it.

This is actually one of the disturbing trends he has displayed this year. He gets spooked out of the pocket (or rushes the throw) when all he has to do is step up into the pocket. Hoping he develops this skill as the season progresses.

So has Taylor in 5+ years of NFL development fixed any of these weaknesses from College?

Weaknesses

Does not possess adequate height and too many of his passes are knocked down at the line. Sloppy footwork prevents him from stepping into throws making him an erratic passer. Locks onto receivers and often telegraphs his throws. Struggles breaking down coverage and makes too many ill-advised throws.

http://www.nfl.com/c...ylor?id=2495240

Another

Negatives:

While Taylor’s accuracy and pocket poise have really developed over his time at Virginia Tech they are still not on the level of a quality NFL starter in my opinion. Taylor’s size also hinders him as a QB because he will struggle to see over his offensive line in the NFL if he ever becomes a starter, and he doesn’t have a great feel for the pocket to move within it to find throwing lanes. His accuracy was much better this season but he will still miss throws that he should make pretty routinely. His accuracy is just not very consistent on short/intermediate levels. His anticipation isn’t very good either and I have rarely seen him “throw a receiver open” and he doesn’t go through his progressions very well. Instead he will regularly drop his eyes and look at the rush to try to escape the pocket and improvise. That really hurts him because in the NFL he won’t be able to scramble after looking at his first or maybe second read and have a lot of success. Defenses are too fast and he will be bottled up very quickly if he tries to do that. His pocket poise isn’t very good either because while he has definitely learned to stay in the pocket more and wait for routes to develop, etc. his first instinct is still to run when he is in trouble, not to step up to find a throwing lane and deliver the ball downfield. His instincts tell him to scramble, hold onto the ball longer than he should and to try to either get outside the pocket to improvise or to run and pick up yardage with his feet.

https://tommeltonsco...couting-report/

Edited by MAJBobby

In two words: decision making.

In two more words: execution.

This goes a lot deeper than just stats.

There is no doubt that extraneous circumstances have helped to hinder TT's development this year, but we are seeing the exact same kind of issues he had last season, when he amassed some decent stats in spite of those short comings. The stats don't inform me though.

I think Alex Smith is the better QB......while Tyrod is the bigger playmaker.

He should have had more like 300 passing; he over/under threw a lot, too.

They all leave throws on the field.....every single NFL qb

How about his Miss to Woods that would have been a TD

All qbs miss these throws

Charlie Whitehurst can get us 160 yards for cheaper.

Geezus this comment is dumb. I almost hate to respond to it. Its utterly moronic to ignore TT's value, impact, threat, ability to protect the ball, and success running...does TT have work to do as a passer, absolutely. But he is NOT one dimensional and any comparison, critique, etc MUST include his ability to make things happen on the ground.

Edited by Alphadawg7

So has Taylor in 5+ years of NFL development fixed any of these weaknesses from College?

Weaknesses

Does not possess adequate height and too many of his passes are knocked down at the line. Sloppy footwork prevents him from stepping into throws making him an erratic passer. Locks onto receivers and often telegraphs his throws. Struggles breaking down coverage and makes too many ill-advised throws.

Another

Negatives:

While Taylor’s accuracy and pocket poise have really developed over his time at Virginia Tech they are still not on the level of a quality NFL starter in my opinion. Taylor’s size also hinders him as a QB because he will struggle to see over his offensive line in the NFL if he ever becomes a starter, and he doesn’t have a great feel for the pocket to move within it to find throwing lanes. His accuracy was much better this season but he will still miss throws that he should make pretty routinely. His accuracy is just not very consistent on short/intermediate levels. His anticipation isn’t very good either and I have rarely seen him “throw a receiver open” and he doesn’t go through his progressions very well. Instead he will regularly drop his eyes and look at the rush to try to escape the pocket and improvise. That really hurts him because in the NFL he won’t be able to scramble after looking at his first or maybe second read and have a lot of success. Defenses are too fast and he will be bottled up very quickly if he tries to do that. His pocket poise isn’t very good either because while he has definitely learned to stay in the pocket more and wait for routes to develop, etc. his first instinct is still to run when he is in trouble, not to step up to find a throwing lane and deliver the ball downfield. His instincts tell him to scramble, hold onto the ball longer than he should and to try to either get outside the pocket to improvise or to run and pick up yardage with his feet.

Well, he does actually scramble very effectively and he makes hardly any ill-advised throws. He hardly ever turns the ball over.

They all leave throws on the field.....every single NFL qb

Yup. I know. I've been very complimentary of Tyrod, but I'm still going to mention his weaknesses.

I think people need to stop trying to convince themselves that he's going to get better. He's not.

But if he keeps playing at least as well as he's played the last two weeks, I'll be happy. He's not turning the ball over, he's not taking big hits and he's been reasonably consistent, given the change at OC and the injuries to the team (especially Sammy Watkins).

What's most impressive is that he's only lined up behind the guard once. Baby steps.

Weaknesses

Another

Negatives:

While Taylors accuracy and pocket poise have really developed over his time at Virginia Tech they are still not on the level of a quality NFL starter in my opinion. Taylors size also hinders him as a QB because he will struggle to see over his offensive line in the NFL if he ever becomes a starter, and he doesnt have a great feel for the pocket to move within it to find throwing lanes. His accuracy was much better this season but he will still miss throws that he should make pretty routinely. His accuracy is just not very consistent on short/intermediate levels. His anticipation isnt very good either and I have rarely seen him throw a receiver open and he doesnt go through his progressions very well. Instead he will regularly drop his eyes and look at the rush to try to escape the pocket and improvise. That really hurts him because in the NFL he wont be able to scramble after looking at his first or maybe second read and have a lot of success. Defenses are too fast and he will be bottled up very quickly if he tries to do that. His pocket poise isnt very good either because while he has definitely learned to stay in the pocket more and wait for routes to develop, etc. his first instinct is still to run when he is in trouble, not to step up to find a throwing lane and deliver the ball downfield. His instincts tell him to scramble, hold onto the ball longer than he should and to try to either get outside the pocket to improvise or to run and pick up yardage with his feet.

Yeah, that's pretty spot on. Somehow the results have tended to be better than you'd expect though.

I don't get caught up in stats as I've said. There's a huge difference between throwing the ball and quarterbacking, after all. His decision making and execution aren't showing the kind of progress necessary after last season's promise. For whatever reason he has stagnated this season.

It's great we are winning games; nothing tops that. But I feel we are whistling past the graveyard because TT is going to have to win games with his smarts and arm at some point in a come from behind fashion and I wish I were more convinced he is up to that challenge. He just hasn't shown it yet in his 6th year and 19 career starts to this point.

I'm hardly throwing up a bunch of stats. He's getting TDs. He's not turning the ball over and more importantly, he's getting the wins. I'm sorry it's not by leading the league in completions, yds. Seems to me you are the one complaining about stats. Taylor is doing what he needs to to get the wins. How he gets there shouldn't matter. You can blame him, but only to a certain degree. He is playing without 2 of his top 4 WRs. Clay is picking up some of the slack by being the leading receiver in this last game. He is making teams pay for being overly aggressive with the pass rush and using his legs.

Personally, it seems you forget that this is a running team. And if the run is successful, you don't abandon it to go after the passing records. Taylor has missed on a few passes that should have been strikes, yes. I don't see any QB completing every pass. He has some work to do, but he is winning games with his smarts and with his arm. You can only work with what you have on the field that day. I'm pretty sure Taylor will make some plays that even you can't take away from him. Don't know if you have noticed but the redzone offense is looking pretty good. It's not all bad.

Yup. I know. I've been very complimentary of Tyrod, but I'm still going to mention his weaknesses.

I think people need to stop trying to convince themselves that he's going to get better. He's not.

But if he keeps playing at least as well as he's played the last two weeks, I'll be happy. He's not turning the ball over, he's not taking big hits and he's been reasonably consistent, given the change at OC and the injuries to the team (especially Sammy Watkins).

What's most impressive is that he's only lined up behind the guard once. Baby steps.

LOL your never gonna let him live that down!

Tyrod getting better is a debatable term.......his stats will get better as his receivers make better plays....Clay is coming along....Hunter has potential....Watkins isnt dead

LOL your never gonna let him live that down!

Tyrod getting better is a debatable term.......his stats will get better as his receivers make better plays....Clay is coming along....Hunter has potential....Watkins isnt dead

His receivers can make better plays when he delivers accurately, on time and with anticipations.

I'm hardly throwing up a bunch of stats. He's getting TDs. He's not turning the ball over and more importantly, he's getting the wins. I'm sorry it's not by leading the league in completions, yds. Seems to me you are the one complaining about stats. Taylor is doing what he needs to to get the wins. How he gets there shouldn't matter. You can blame him, but only to a certain degree. He is playing without 2 of his top 4 WRs. Clay is picking up some of the slack by being the leading receiver in this last game. He is making teams pay for being overly aggressive with the pass rush and using his legs.

Personally, it seems you forget that this is a running team. And if the run is successful, you don't abandon it to go after the passing records. Taylor has missed on a few passes that should have been strikes, yes. I don't see any QB completing every pass. He has some work to do, but he is winning games with his smarts and with his arm. You can only work with what you have on the field that day. I'm pretty sure Taylor will make some plays that even you can't take away from him. Don't know if you have noticed but the redzone offense is looking pretty good. It's not all bad.

The issue I think some (myself included) are having is that his average performance doesn't scare anyone, and certainly wouldn't be good enough to beat the GOOD teams in the league (pats w/brady, Pitt, Denver, Minnesota). It's just not.

Can he do enough to win? Certainly. Will he ever really be the REASON we win? Probably not.

Edited by joesixpack