Would just like to point out...

I just came on here for the first time today and literally five of the threads on the main wall were as follows:

1. Lorenzo Alexander is actually good

2. Zach Brown is like our best player

3. Jairus Byrd benched

4. Nigel Bradham arrested on weapons charge

5. Karlos Williams' suspension is up and no one has yet to claim him

But yeah, Whaley is an abomination.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came on here for the first time today and literally five of the threads on the main wall were as follows:

3. Jairus Byrd benched

I like our rostermuch better this year. People expect whaley to be some sort of god held to polian standards. Whaley is good. Look at the roster. Compare it to that of 10, even 5 years ago. Rome was not built in a day. I think us fans have gotten so used to b**ching we dont know what to do when we actually have a good roster.

I like our rostermuch better this year. People expect whaley to be some sort of god held to polian standards. Whaley is good. Look at the roster. Compare it to that of 10, even 5 years ago. Rome was not built in a day. I think us fans have gotten so used to b**ching we dont know what to do when we actually have a good roster.

Polian's rosters were terrible his last few years with the Colts...

3. Jairus Byrd benched

All those guys are defensive except Karlos and as you say no one has picked him up.

Whaley has done well on defense but has failed on offense.

Except Sammy, and LeSean and TD Mike and John Miller and Richie..... and retaining Glenn...

I am yet to be convinced he has found the answer at QB - and we all know that matters more than anything and I do think he left us without any depth at receiver this year.

All those guys are defensive except Karlos and as you say no one has picked him up.

Um, the point was that Whaley made an offensive personnel decision (cut Karlos) that other teams have endorsed with their actions.

Our starting OL has been pretty staunch the last 2 weeks. That would include Incognito, Miller, Mills, Kujo, and Felton. Skill players, McCoy, Gillislee, Clay, Woods all looking good. Then there's Tyrod.

So we'll see how the season goes, but he's certainly added some promising offensive pieces.

Except Sammy, and LeSean and TD Mike and John Miller and Richie..... and retaining Glenn...

I am yet to be convinced he has found the answer at QB - and we all know that matters more than anything and I do think he left us without any depth at receiver this year.

I think from the spring OTAs they were really expecting Dez Lewis to have taken a big step. He looked very good in OTAs then...pfffft. I also think Rex thinks highly of Salas.

It's not so much that the WR position is thin, as that we don't think much of the talent of their choices at WR (ie Woods, Glass, Salas, Powell). Woods looked very good last game and Powell, promising. Glass, not so much. So we'll see.

I think from the spring OTAs they were really expecting Dez Lewis to have taken a big step. He looked very good in OTAs then...pfffft. I also think Rex thinks highly of Salas.

It's not so much that the WR position is thin, as that we don't think much of the talent of their choices at WR (ie Woods, Glass, Salas, Powell). Woods looked very good last game and Powell, promising. Glass, not so much. So we'll see.

I think they took the approach - understandably I suppose - that the limited resource they had this offseason would be spent on the defense - Lawson, Ragland, Washington, Zach, Blanton etc...

At receiver as a result their plan was to bring in a lot of dumpster dive type guys who have had bits of success elsewhere and hope one really caught on or, as you say, they got a really big jump from Dez. Unfortunately neither of those things happened and they now know they are thin. Hence when Sammy went down there was no option but to look outside the organisation. Hunter is another reclamation project in truth - but let's see what we have there. The fact that we had to re-tool the defense against expectation really prevented Whaley from addressing the weapons on the outside as he may have wished. The Pats taking Hogan hurts too. He would be the clear #2 here opposite Woods right now.

Well said.

It'd like to add Polian had some misses as well.

I don't like seeing ex-Bills players struggle on or off the field.

Selective examples.

Its a case of everything is perfect after a win.... similar to everything sucks the sky is falling after a loss.

Its going to take a little bit to figure out how the bills are. They have a tough but winnable game in a very pivotal week 5... then need to take care of business vs san fran and miami. Then they have a stretch with top tier teams, lets see if things have changed and this season is new and improved... or if its the chef boy r dee that mom bought a 20 year supply of from sams club

3. Jairus Byrd benched

Rogue

3. Jairus Byrd benched

Whaley has a decent eye for talent. But let's not pretend that he didn't try to re-sign Spiller and Byrd. I take that back, make believe as you will. :)

The thing is, he over-pays and gives away draft picks that the team needs.

#Draft Picks Matter! ;)

After two games, both offense and defense were suspect, and Whaley was rightly criticized since it appeared the Bills season was down the toilet (up the spout for Gunner Bill). Now that those pieces are clicking, the criticism dies down. The Sammy issue won't go away until Sammy gets healthy and has a couple years better than OBJ, so get used to that continuing for a long while.

Polian's rosters were terrible his last few years with the Colts...

I think the biggest thing people fail to realize when they hold modern GMs up to the "Polian Standard" is that Polian had:

1. 12 rounds in the draft to work with

2. Only 27 other teams in the league to compete against for players

3. No salary cap and team friendly FA rules

It was a totally different game for GMs back then, and it reflects in his later years with the Colts.

Whaley has a decent eye for talent. But let's not pretend that he didn't try to re-sign Spiller and Byrd. I take that back, make believe as you will. :)

The thing is, he over-pays and gives away draft picks that the team needs.

#Draft Picks Matter! ;)

He did try and re-sign Byrd but at a contract that was reasonable for a safety. They had their limit and refused to be bullied into going higher - that is good GM-ship. On Spiller they were trying to sign him until a better option came along.

I also disagree that he overpays as a rule - Clay he definitely did, McCoy can be argued.... but the trade up for Watkins was a good one, I still believe that.

Draft picks only matter as a mechanism for acquiring talented players... the goal isn't to have as many draft picks as possible..... it is to pick as many talented guys as possible and within that to get as many "elite talents" as possible. Whaley has done a good job in that regard.

Edited by GunnerBill