"They were missing a player...we brought our team"

Did you guys catch Rex Ryan's press conference where he said this about three times??? The second time he said it he kind of rubbed the side of his nose and smirked.

I think the whole game yesterday was a result of Rex telling his players that the loss of Sammy, or Dareus, or Ragland or Shaq...etc. is not an excuse. The team concept is more important than any one part.

The national media has been harping on the Patriots and their winning without Tom Brady. I'm pretty sure Rex was saying this repeatedly to reemphasize the fact that no single player makes up the Bills (not Sammy, or Dareus or our draft picks).

I do like the notion of the players gelling together as a team and not relying on any one player to achieve success.

BFD, we were missing a few players ourselves!

That's the point- If I understood correctly, Brady is THEIR team, where we play as a cohesive unit and as a team....

And whether it's true or not, delivering that message to the media and our locker room may have been the intent

I'll preface this with saying that this was a great win and an impressive performance by offense, defense and special teams.

But let's be honest. We didn't beat the Patriots minus Brady.

We beat the Patriots minus Brady, Gronk, Garappolo and with a 3rd string rookie QB who couldn't even grip the ball because of his thumb.

I'll preface this with saying that this was a great win and an impressive performance by offense, defense and special teams.

We beat the Patriots minus Brady, Gronk, Garappolo and with a 3rd string rookie QB who couldn't even grip the ball because of his thumb.

Ok- so that explains why our defense "had it so easy", how about our offense and ST... ??

Stop it. You're making the Houston Texans feel really bad.

Well, we didn't have Dri Archer either... so THERE! :nana:

Ok- so that explains why our defense "had it so easy", how about our offense and ST... ??

The o-line was phenomenal. Tyrod Taylor was the best I have ever seen him play - and I mean that. Defense, Offense and Special Teams were all great. It was a great team win.

Oh crap ... Looks like I said all of this to begin with. Oh well.

Yeah, and that's the same crew that embarrassed the Texans. Brissett looked like he gripped the ball just fine on his long throws to Edelman and Bennett.

But their D let our O camp on the field for 36 minutes and 11 seconds, including something like 12 minutes in the1st quarter (when the "worn down" excuse doesn't play). Missing Brady, Gronk, and Garappolo doesn't account for that.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/02/new-england-patriots-loss-deflategate-tom-brady-bill-belichick

This article kind of annoyed me. Read it, and let me know how you feel.

You can't have it both ways; you can't say how awesome BB is and the pats are when they destroy the Texans last week, and then basically say the only reason they lost vs. the Bills is b/c they were missing Brady. The author even went so far as to mention how the Pats were also missing Ninkovich, but fails to mention how we were missing: Sammy Watkins, Dareus, our 1st round pick, and our 2nd round pick.

You scored 16 points, your O dominated the time of possession but scored only 16 points.. As a pats fan you tell me my D will average 16 points a game I say we win all of them... (With Brady or even Jimmy G)

You scored 16 points, your O dominated the time of possession but scored only 16 points.. As a pats fan you tell me my D will average 16 points a game I say we win all of them... (With Brady or even Jimmy G)

We (wisely) just focused on chewing the clock after going up 16 and not pushing it for more points. Surely, you saw that. Let's not get silly and think your defense "held" the Bills to 16 points.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/02/new-england-patriots-loss-deflategate-tom-brady-bill-belichick

This article kind of annoyed me. Read it, and let me know how you feel.

You can't have it both ways; you can't say how awesome BB is and the pats are when they destroy the Texans last week, and then basically say the only reason they lost vs. the Bills is b/c they were missing Brady. The author even went so far as to mention how the Pats were also missing Ninkovich, but fails to mention how we were missing: Sammy Watkins, Dareus, our 1st round pick, and our 2nd round pick.

Lol be honest do you believe 16 points be enough had Brady been playing? Your team won because it dominated both Offennse and Defense, but Jacoby missed a lot of wide open throws.

That said the Bills Earned that win so enjoy it and stop looking at NE articles whose job is to make NE fans feel better lol.

We (wisely) just focused on chewing the clock after going up 16 and not pushing it for more points. Surely, you saw that. Let's not get silly and think your defense "held" the Bills to 16 points.

My point is simply with Brady or Jimmy G your game plan wouldn't have worked as well. Brady would have hit the throws Jacoby missed in the second half, and I am 99.9% confident they throw more than 3 passes in the first half. Which in turn would have opened things up more for Blount.. Aka the game be completely different..

This exactly is what happened, the O went into clock kill and conservative mode since the D was dominating.

I thought the Pats were going storm back when you guys dominated the first half but only had a 13-0 lead... I was wrong.

The **Pats were beat down like they haven't been in a long time. I do think the Bills left a lot of points out there, and the concerns me, but I was surprised how well the offense beat the the **Pats D consistently. I figured 20 points would win this game and they should have had at least at 20, the Bills O is still a work in progress with the new OC. But you have to be very pleased with a 3-1 start without Brady.

Edited by ricojes

I thought the Pats were going storm back when you guys dominated the first half but only had a 13-0 lead... I was wrong.

Your boys were extremely limited with Brissett at the helm. The Bills were simply not going to let Blount hammer them to keep Brissett in favorable down and distance situations like they did against the Texans.

The o-line was phenomenal. Tyrod Taylor was the best I have ever seen him play - and I mean that. Defense, Offense and Special Teams were all great. It was a great team win.

You did, but it seemed to me like you were making an excuse for the win immediately following that... Maybe I just misinterpreted it...

Lol be honest do you believe 16 points be enough had Brady been playing? Your team won because it dominated both Offennse and Defense, but Jacoby missed a lot of wide open throws.

That said the Bills Earned that win so enjoy it and stop looking at NE articles whose job is to make NE fans feel better lol.

My point is simply with Brady or Jimmy G your game plan wouldn't have worked as well. Brady would have hit the throws Jacoby missed in the second half, and I am 99.9% confident they throw more than 3 passes in the first half. Which in turn would have opened things up more for Blount.. Aka the game be completely different..

I can't imagine anything more opening up for Blount than by being down 2 scores in the second half or even the 4th... You needed to throw and we knew it.... Many times we rush 3 or 4 people, and STILL got pressure.... The thing that irritated me is that even though we got pressure, we frequently left the middle of the field wide open for Brissett to run...

The game plan wouldn't have been the same if other players were available. You're playing "what if," on a game that's already done.

You did, but it seemed to me like you were making an excuse for the win immediately following that... Maybe I just misinterpreted it...

I was thoroughly impressed by everything the Bills did yesterday. Seriously.

The game plan wouldn't have been the same if other players were available. You're playing "what if," on a game that's already done.

I was thoroughly impressed by everything the Bills did yesterday. Seriously.

I disagree, I don't think your O game plan changes at all, now your D game plan yes. The O game plan still works even w Brady as you want to limit his touches.

I disagree, I don't think your O game plan changes at all, now your D game plan yes. The O game plan still works even w Brady as you want to limit his touches.

Game plan before or after going up 16?

You don't think every team in the NFL wouldn't go into ball control mode at that point?

But your points are moot, anyway. The game is over. Furthermore, why would the D game plan be different? Everyone knows that the best way to beat Brady is to hit him hard an hit him often. That's what happened to Brissette. He got punished yesterday.

I guess the point of this thread is that Rex made a pretty important point in a backhanded sort of way. The national media hasn't really picked up on it (i.e. the Pats were down by one player but we brought our "team"). I'd like to see some of the national media take a step back and say "Ohhhhh, I see what he did there"...but they won't.

I guess the point of this thread is that Rex made a pretty important point in a backhanded sort of way. The national media hasn't really picked up on it (i.e. the Pats were down by one player but we brought our "team"). I'd like to see some of the national media take a step back and say "Ohhhhh, I see what he did there"...but they won't.

I know all the focus is on Brady being out, but I don't think Ninkovich being out should be overlooked on the other side of the ball. I still definitely think we earned the win, as we were down some key players as well though.

No offense, but if the best Tyrod can play only gets us 16 points, I don't know how many games we can win if we are not facing an injured, scout team QB.

But they were down a lot more than just Brady. I'm not saying that the Bills weren't down a bunch, too - nor am I taking away from what I consider a very impressive win. But it's not like the Pats were just "down Brady." They were also down Garappolo. And Gronk. And their third string QB could barely hold the ball, let alone throw it with any consistency.

What is the point?

They are 3-1 with their player.

We are 2-2 with out team.

So what?

No offense, but if the best Tyrod can play only gets us 16 points, I don't know how many games we can win if we are not facing an injured, scout team QB.

Did you consider that they kept it conservative, with the *Pats unable to do anything on offense? No need to take chances yesterday. Smart gameplan.

But they were down a lot more than just Brady. I'm not saying that the Bills weren't down a bunch, too - nor am I taking away from what I consider a very impressive win. But it's not like the Pats were just "down Brady." They were also down Garappolo. And Gronk. And their third string QB could barely hold the ball, let alone throw it with any consistency.

But according to the "experts", the Pats could win with a jugs machine in the backfield....It's BB's system that allows for wins.

So, in the end, even though everyone picked the Pats to win, they still have the "No Tom Brady" excuse to fall back on.

Buffalo won as a team (without players deemed essential for success) and that's what Rex was getting at (IMO)

No offense taken.

The Bills did what they needed to do ... nothing more, nothing less .... in order to win the game.

They played ball control and capped off some long drives with scores. Once they were up 16, scoring became a lot less important - as the D was having no problem holding NE - and they continued to eat the clock.

I don't think the fact that the Bills only scored 16 indicated that the Bills COULD only score 16.

But according to the "experts", the Pats could win with a jugs machine in the backfield....It's BB's system that allows for wins.

So, in the end, even though everyone picked the Pats to win, they still have the "No Tom Brady" excuse to fall back on.

Buffalo won as a team (without players deemed essential for success) and that's what Rex was getting at (IMO)

I'm catching what you're pitching. But the excuse would more accurately be expressed as "no QB and no Gronk," which is a lot different than "No Brady."

I do agree that the Bills played very well, though, and deserved the win.

Edited by Gugny

You're defeating your own argument. Of course the game would have been different in a lot of ways if Brady had played. Anyone who doesn't think so should be banned from watching football for life. But you seem to be arguing that the Bills would score the same 16 points if Brady played and would therefore lose. Absurd. In a different game, with a different score, rhythm, game plan, etc. the Bills might have scored 3 points, or 30. No way to know.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Bills would definitely beat a Brady-led Pats team. Based on history, it would be pretty hard to make much of a case for that. But there was a lot to like in the way the Bills played yesterday, regardless of the exact outcome. There are at least some things to hint at the possibility that the Bills might be developing into a decent, feisty team. No way to know that either. But let us enjoy the signs while they last. No need to speculate about Brady. We'll see him in a month and find out a little more about both teams then.

With the exact same squad, what did the Pats do the week before to the Texans?

Both games last year vs BRADY were decided by 1 score. So lets calm the heck down with the brady-less pats

With the exact same squad, what did the Pats do the week before to the Texans?

Brissette's thumb wasn't injured.

And you know every Sunday is different. Again - I'm not taking away from the Bills' win. I loved it and they dominated. But we can't compare what happened last week vs. the Texans to this week vs. the Bills.

Did you guys catch Rex Ryan's press conference where he said this about three times??? The second time he said it he kind of rubbed the side of his nose and smirked.

I think the whole game yesterday was a result of Rex telling his players that the loss of Sammy, or Dareus, or Ragland or Shaq...etc. is not an excuse. The team concept is more important than any one part.

The national media has been harping on the Patriots and their winning without Tom Brady. I'm pretty sure Rex was saying this repeatedly to reemphasize the fact that no single player makes up the Bills (not Sammy, or Dareus or our draft picks).

I do like the notion of the players gelling together as a team and not relying on any one player to achieve success.

When I heard this, it really annoyed me. I took it as Rex diminishing the win because Brady didn't play, and in my mind thinking WTH is he doing. He went out of his way to say this three times. I mean, we're missing a ridiculous amount of players (Dareus, Sammy, Salas, Shaq, Ragland, Henderson, Koundjio, Gragg...the list goes on) and the Pats were pretty healthy with the exception of the QB position. BUT, after reading your post, I think you might be right here. Thanks for the insight.

We played conservatively because we wanted to shorten the game and because they had no fear of your team doing anything against them offensively.

Brissette's thumb wasn't injured.

And you know every Sunday is different. Again - I'm not taking away from the Bills' win. I loved it and they dominated. But we can't compare what happened last week vs. the Texans to this week vs. the Bills.

Sure it was...he didn't get his thumb injured on the last play of the game. It happened during the 3rd quarter

When I heard this, it really annoyed me. I took it as Rex diminishing the win because Brady didn't play, and in my mind thinking WTH is he doing. He went out of his way to say this three times. I mean, we're missing a ridiculous amount of players (Dareus, Sammy, Salas, Shaq, Ragland, Henderson, Koundjio, Gragg...the list goes on) and the Pats were pretty healthy with the exception of the QB position. BUT, after reading your post, I think you might be right here. Thanks for the insight.

It's not often I get complimented on my insight...thanks for the thank you.