Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King Retweeted The MMQB

Good morning. My Monday column is up. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/18/sam-bradford-vikings-nfl-week-2-peter-king

I think one of the cruelest things about playing the Thursday night game in Week 2, and you’re the Bills, and you’re in the same division with New England, and you fall to 0-2, you now face this reality: The season’s five days old, and we’ve probably got to go 12-2 the rest of the way to win our division, and we’ve still got New England, Seattle and Cincinnati on the road to play. Yikes. Still, the Bills have the feel of Dead Team Walking to me. When a team fires its offensive coordinator after five days of the season, it says to me that the firing should have happened in the off-season, because the team didn’t trust what he was doing last season, and the team doen’t trust what he’s doing now. Regarding Rex Ryan, this from a trusted front-office executive for one NFL team: “Rex will have a long and successful career in the media.” That’s not meant as a slam. It’s true. He’s going to be very good next year on FOX.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might -- stress, might -- have more details today so long as nothing else happens at 1 Bills Drive to sidetrack plans.

jw

You have been the breathe of fresh air to cut through this non-sense. We are all thankful for the work you do. Besides, what could possibly happen and 1BD? LOL

But they weren't. The NFL offered to provide them with a consultant, isn't that right? Or they could have hired an outside consultant to help them with the coaching search. They chose to let Brandon and Whaley drive it, ie, to put themselves at the mercy of the leftovers.

That is what is maddening. Brandon is good at what he is supposed to do from the business aspect of things, Whaley IMO could be an excellent GM, but didn't have enough grooming from a good football guy here. The lack of a strong football side of the organization has hurt this team since they canned TD; it was never fixed under RW and still isn't fixed under Pegs. I should be careful how I say that; the lack of a top football guy creating the direction and setting the vision for that side of the org is missing...

@JaySkurski

Rex: "I'm very aware of some of the reports out there." Says he made the final decision on firing Greg Roman.

Ryan: "I'm in full support of our owners." Says the Pegulas don't need permission from anybody to talk to anyone around the team. #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia

The more I listen to Rex Ryan talk, the more I think this move with Greg Roman is all about getting Sammy Watkins the football. #Bills

@JaySkurski

Rex: "I'm very aware of some of the reports out there." Says he made the final decision on firing Greg Roman.

Ryan: "I'm in full support of our owners." Says the Pegulas don't need permission from anybody to talk to anyone around the team. #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia

The more I listen to Rex Ryan talk, the more I think this move with Greg Roman is all about getting Sammy Watkins the football. #Bills

Good. If your offense isn't centered around getting the ball to your best player, then you should be fired

Rex is the 7th HC since the start of the 2001 season. Two coaches have quit, multiple have been fired and there was one interim. That is a coaching carousel.

And yet some (not me) have wanted to get rid of a guy after just 16 games . . . .

Good. If your offense isn't centered around getting the ball to your best player, then you should be fired

And this is what concerns me most about the entire situation. Is Roman, with all his years of coaching experience in the NFL and elsewhere, NOT aware of this simple premise? I find that hard to believe so my focus shifts to TT and the idea that Roman had a lack of trust in him to GET it to our best player when DCs are centering their schemes to preventing it.

We've seen the attention Sammy receives since his rookie year. Defenses are GIVING us something else as a result. If TT can't find that and take it, it becomes exponentially more difficult to take what you WANT from a defense.

I have grave concerns about TT based on these first two games where it looks like he regressed. My hope is that it's because of the weight of the contract and the expectations created in an environment of "prove it or lose it" this season. He has physical tools and I hope some early success in games will get him to relax because it is obvious he is pressing and lacks command in the pocket.

The problem with hiring Rex is he wasn't a fit. The D scheme he wants to run was completely different than Schultz's and the Bills were going to have to overhaul the strongest unit on their team in order to make it work. The moment they hired him it wasn't going to be a quick fix. If they wanted quick they should have hired an offensive guy and then brought in a DC who ran a scheme similar to Schultz's (or retained Schultz if he was willing to work with the new HC.)

Yep.

If the Pegula's had listened to me and just hired Hue Jackson as HC and kept Schwartz as the DC then we wouldn't be in this clusterf.

That said, I do think there's a chance this can be turned around.

I know, but whenever I criticize his role in the current and past state of this football 'organization' I am stonewalled with people calling him a "marketing guy", and directed by articles and quotes that say he has nothing to do with the football team whatsoever.... but instead I consistently see reminders that he is and has been right there with his hand in the perpetual failure

It's because his marketing ability is so go that he makes it looks like it was someone else's idea so he never takes the blame.

I do agree though. I know he's the PR master at OBD and Keybank Center but to think he doesn't get a say in some important things is wrong IMO.

From last year:

Brandon and Whaley stressed the importance of keeping an open mind throughout the process, and the Pegulas were committed to doing so with any and all candidates. By the sound of it however, Ryan’s personality would’ve won just about any interviewer over.

How's it working out in Cleveland?

i have no idea if Hue Jackson is going to be a good HC. I don't know why people assume he will be. So far all he has done is say stupid things and lose. Too soon to tell obviously but why are some so certain he's a great choice?

He was an interim HC for the raiders and they ended up 8-8 and was fired. Not saying this proves he's bad but it certainly doesn't prove he's good.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i have no idea if Hue Jackson is going to be a good HC. I don't know why people assume he will be. So far all he has done is say stupid things and lose. Too soon to tell obviously but why are some so certain he's a great choice?

He was an interim HC for the raiders and they ended up 8-8 and was fired. Not saying this proves he's bad but it certainly doesn't prove he's good.

I feel like Hue was put in a bad spot. He did OK with a weak roster and was replaced by a guy that only got 8 wins in over two seasons. Unfortunately he may be in a similar position in Cleveland. I don't know that he will be a great head coach either, but I understand those that feel he can be.

are you basing this on anything or just a gut feeling?

His experience and exposure to many different offensive systems, his success as an NFL offensive coordinator, his performance as head coach in his one season for the Raiders, how he conducts himself in interviews, his intensity/energy, and praise from coaches and players who have worked with him over the years.

I don't do gut feelings.