Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

I don't know **** anymore, not that I knew anything to begin with. All I know is everything is still a mess. jw needs to write a story and get it out there. Aside from us, everyone else still views this based off the original stories; that is all that is out there...

might -- stress, might -- have more details today so long as nothing else happens at 1 Bills Drive to sidetrack plans.

jw

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sooner this coaching staff is gone, the closer the team is to righting the ship.

This type of statement has been said for the past 17 years. THIS time a quick firing of the HC will do the trick.

Not a fan of Rex but I'm also tired of the coaching carousel because nobody has any patience. Not sure which I dislike more at this point.

BuffRumblings

.@ChrisTrapasso's opinion column on the Pegulas, Rex Ryan and the firing of Greg Roman.

https://t.co/bTLP2Nq0PJ

"Sal Capaccio’s series of tweets and subsequent article suggested the Roman firing was a long-time coming. And while Capaccio confirmed Rex was indeed not in the room with the Pegulas during their meetings with players, the owners conversational sessions with players has been commonplace for a while now. Also Rex, Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon meet with the players on a weekly basis."

Why is the "marketing guy" having weekly meetings with the players? Where is whaley through this Greg Roman drama?

Maybe the football department can be mended before we can and hire new coaches.

This type of statement has been said for the past 17 years. THIS time a quick firing of the HC will do the trick.

Not a fan of Rex but I'm also tired of the coaching carousel because nobody has any patience. Not sure which I dislike more at this point.

Every coach besides Rex has gotten 3+ years. Not sure how that makes it a carousel or a lack of patience.

And the vast majority of people around here who want him fired now, have no idea whatsoever about who the Bills could/should replace him with. They just want to be appeased by firing him.

I swear, it seems like fans around here just love to be miserable. And they will continue to repeat the same stupid things that keep them miserable.

"Sal Capaccio’s series of tweets and subsequent article suggested the Roman firing was a long-time coming. And while Capaccio confirmed Rex was indeed not in the room with the Pegulas during their meetings with players, the owners conversational sessions with players has been commonplace for a while now. Also Rex, Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon meet with the players on a weekly basis."

Why is the "marketing guy" having weekly meetings with the players? Where is whaley through this Greg Roman drama?

He is the team president, not the marketing guy. But carry on.

I think so too. Just let this thing run it's course, and pick up the pieces for the post season. The Pegulas were pretty much at the mercy of the people left over from the Ralph era. They are learning on the job, and hopefully won't be led astray by another snake oil salesman for the next hire.

But they weren't. The NFL offered to provide them with a consultant, isn't that right? Or they could have hired an outside consultant to help them with the coaching search. They chose to let Brandon and Whaley drive it, ie, to put themselves at the mercy of the leftovers.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

And the vast majority of people around here who want him fired now, have no idea whatsoever about who the Bills could/should replace him with. They just want to be appeased by firing him.

I swear, it seems like fans around here just love to be miserable. And they will continue to repeat the same stupid things that keep them miserable.

Dave, the problem is you cannot name me one positive thing that has happened with the Bills since the Jets game last year. Nothing but a series of disappointments and bad decisions, much of it couched in doublespeak by Rex and Whaley. But Rex just happens to be the more public face, hence we associate everything bad that has happened with Rex.

This is all compounded by the fact we have the Pats to contend with, and realize after 5 days the division is not winnable again this year. Means we fighting for two spots with 11 other teams....Rex takes the hit for this.

And saying fans"just love to be miserable"...man, i think that goes a bit far. it will be 17 years in league designed for parity...if anythng the fans have been overly optimistic for too long...and i am in that group.

Screw continuity...i would have liked to see Greggo, Dickie, Dougie, Rex all gone after 1 year...you can just tell when it aint gunna work, and this aint gunna work

I have never campaigned for a coach firing before. I wanted Marrone to stay (against most of this board), I would have given Chan another year so long as he was willing to fire Wannastache (against most of this board), and I would eve have let Jauron finish out the season in which he was fired (though I'd have likely got rid at the end of that season). I am not a hire 'em and fire 'em fan.

I just do not believe it will ever get any better with Rex Ryan. I didn't rate him as a Head Coach with the Jets, I didn't understand the hire when it leaked out that he was coming to Buffalo, I thought he majorly underachieved with a good roster and a powder puff schedule last year and I think we are heading for a terrible season this year. I don't believe in his ability as a head football coach. It is as simple as that for me. If I was trying to salvage something from this season I would fire him if we get to 0-4, but I am not in favour of the Bills trying to salvage anything from this season. I think we are ready to undergo a rebuild. 2014 and 2015 we had a play-off window and we didn't get it done. Therefore if Rex stays and we end up picking top 5 in the draft - all well and good, but he must be gone in January.

Do I agree with you that there isn't exactly a list of obvious candidates to take his place? Yes, I do. But I have 0% belief that Rex Ryan is the man to get this team even close to Championship let alone winning one. I want him gone.

He is the team president, not the marketing guy. But carry on.

He is, but he has publically stated on several occasions that he is "completely hands off" now in the football side of operations. Meeting with players and sitting in on roster decision meetings does not sound like "completely hands off" to me. I call Shenanigans.

Every coach besides Rex has gotten 3+ years. Not sure how that makes it a carousel or a lack of patience.

Rex is the 7th HC since the start of the 2001 season. Two coaches have quit, multiple have been fired and there was one interim. That is a coaching carousel.

"Sal Capaccios series of tweets and subsequent article suggested the Roman firing was a long-time coming. And while Capaccio confirmed Rex was indeed not in the room with the Pegulas during their meetings with players, the owners conversational sessions with players has been commonplace for a while now. Also Rex, Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon meet with the players on a weekly basis."

Russ Brandon is Team President

Russ Brandon is Team President

I know, but whenever I criticize his role in the current and past state of this football 'organization' I am stonewalled with people calling him a "marketing guy", and directed by articles and quotes that say he has nothing to do with the football team whatsoever.... but instead I consistently see reminders that he is and has been right there with his hand in the perpetual failure

I just do not believe it will ever get any better with Rex Ryan. I didn't rate him as a Head Coach with the Jets, I didn't understand the hire when it leaked out that he was coming to Buffalo,

The problem with hiring Rex is he wasn't a fit. The D scheme he wants to run was completely different than Schultz's and the Bills were going to have to overhaul the strongest unit on their team in order to make it work. The moment they hired him it wasn't going to be a quick fix. If they wanted quick they should have hired an offensive guy and then brought in a DC who ran a scheme similar to Schultz's (or retained Schultz if he was willing to work with the new HC.)

Like I said upstream I'm not a fan of what Rex has done with the Bills thus far (though I didn't think he did a poor job with the Jets) but the last thing the Bills need to do now is fire Rex. Rex ripped down the old D, jettison some successful players in that D, drafted new players for his D. If they fired him that would leave us stuck with players that were brought in for this D that would likely have to be jettisoned when the new coach/DC wanted to install "his scheme."

This is the carousel that keeps the Bills down and I'm tired of it. I'd rather keep a coach that I'm currently unhappy with and let him bring his plan to fruition than tear it down and start the whole damn mess again. Because the next coach isn't going to come in and have immediate success either and then there will be a giant bandwagon forming to fire his ass and bring in some other hot new candidate.

Dave, the problem is you cannot name me one positive thing that has happened with the Bills since the Jets game last year. Nothing but a series of disappointments and bad decisions, much of it couched in doublespeak by Rex and Whaley. But Rex just happens to be the more public face, hence we associate everything bad that has happened with Rex.

This is all compounded by the fact we have the Pats to contend with, and realize after 5 days the division is not winnable again this year. Means we fighting for two spots with 11 other teams....Rex takes the hit for this.

And saying fans"just love to be miserable"...man, i think that goes a bit far. it will be 17 years in league designed for parity...if anythng the fans have been overly optimistic for too long...and i am in that group.

Screw continuity...i would have liked to see Greggo, Dickie, Dougie, Rex all gone after 1 year...you can just tell when it aint gunna work, and this aint gunna work

The Bills could have done a lot worse than hiring Rex. At least they got a guy in here who knows the AFC East and has plenty of NFL coaching experience. In years past he has had some pretty good seasons with the Jets with subpar talent on them. And he has won lots of games where people said they had no chance of winning.

I am not happy with where this team is at right now either. But I don't think that firing the head coach after 2 games makes any sense whatsoever. The games were lost, but they weren't lost because of complete head coaching bafoonery. This team is losing games because they haven't run the ball well enough. If they can't fix that, then this season will go down in flames most likely. If they can fix that, then this team changes in a hurry.

It is still entirely possible that this team could turn this season right back around and start beating teams that nobody gives them the slightest chance at right now. And I think Rex has the potential to pull that off.

People just love to hate Rex. Many of them think that firing Roman was a stage show, that he was just a scapegoat. I don't believe that was the case. I think Rex realized Roman was holding this team's running game / offensive production back and Rex is trying to do something about it before it is too late. That is what a good manager/leader/coach does.

Maybe Rex will ultimately fail here. If he does, then fine, fire him. But right now isn't the time for that. He hasn't been given enough time. And if the Bills did fire him right now, then they would have a really hard time getting any other big name coaches to come here.

The problem with hiring Rex is he wasn't a fit. The D scheme he wants to run was completely different than Schultz's and the Bills were going to have to overhaul the strongest unit on their team in order to make it work. The moment they hired him it wasn't going to be a quick fix. If they wanted quick they should have hired an offensive guy and then brought in a DC who ran a scheme similar to Schultz's (or retained Schultz if he was willing to work with the new HC.)

Like I said upstream I'm not a fan of what Rex has done with the Bills thus far (though I didn't think he did a poor job with the Jets) but the last thing the Bills need to do now is fire Rex. Rex ripped down the old D, jettison some successful players in that D, drafted new players for his D. If they fired him that would leave us stuck with players that were brought in for this D that would likely have to be jettisoned when the new coach/DC wanted to install "his scheme."

This is the carousel that keeps the Bills down and I'm tired of it. I'd rather keep a coach that I'm currently unhappy with and let him bring his plan to fruition than tear it down and start the whole damn mess again. Because the next coach isn't going to come in and have immediate success either and then there will be a giant bandwagon forming to fire his ass and bring in some other hot new candidate.

Ryan isn't just the defensive coordinator he is the head coach. The Bills problems are systemic. This decision runs a lot deeper than what scheme we're going to run and whether or not Reggie Ragland fits into it.

I just do not believe it will ever get any better with Rex Ryan. I didn't rate him as a Head Coach with the Jets, I didn't understand the hire when it leaked out that he was coming to Buffalo, I thought he majorly underachieved with a good roster and a powder puff schedule last year and I think we are heading for a terrible season this year. I don't believe in his ability as a head football coach. It is as simple as that for me. If I was trying to salvage something from this season I would fire him if we get to 0-4, but I am not in favour of the Bills trying to salvage anything from this season. I think we are ready to undergo a rebuild. 2014 and 2015 we had a play-off window and we didn't get it done. Therefore if Rex stays and we end up picking top 5 in the draft - all well and good, but he must be gone in January.

Do I agree with you that there isn't exactly a list of obvious candidates to take his place? Yes, I do. But I have 0% belief that Rex Ryan is the man to get this team even close to Championship let alone winning one. I want him gone.

I have no problem firing the guy after the season is over if he doesn't turn things around and make this team look respectable.

I get the fact that you have no faith in him as a coach. That is how I felt about Dick Jauron when he was here. Dick Jauron had the team well prepared and I think he was a great coach in between games. But on gameday, the guy would make the most horrible decisions and be so ridiculously conservative it was maddening. And for that reason alone I knew he would never take the Bills to the Superbowl and because of that I wanted him gone. So if that is how you feel about Rex (because you just don't think he is a good enough coach) then I totally get your point.

For me I am just sick of hearing about how a lot of people want to fire the guy now and tank the season already when it is two games in. Obviously you're not one of those guys.