lol @ WGR

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pretty much explains it.

To be clear I have zero issue with what they cover. I was taking issue with Howard Simon deciding what to watch. You are at the mercy of the rest of the group. If 4x the people are going to be watching the football game, you better be up to speed on what happened.

The logical fallacy is that people who watch a sporting event want to listen and/or talk about it the next morning.

The logical fallacy is that people who watch a sporting event want to listen and/or talk about it the next morning.

You're right. I mean, how many people come on this site immediately after, much less a day or two after, and want to talk about a Bills' game after it's happened?

This is going to be a fun season for the Sabres and Bills, and it's all local, all day!

The Hockey Hotline guys earn every dollar trying to fill that time all summer!

Hockey hotline is the one show I don't get to listen too often but is probably one of my favorites. Likely due to not being sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again. Edited by The Wiz

I don't. As i said to the holier-than-thou jackass above, I like WGR and their hosts.

Schopp lost me when I called and he shouted me down and hung up on me because he disagreed with my point. I remember when he started on Empire as the alternative to the Coach on GR. He said he wanted to do a different kind of show then. Fast Forward 15 years, and there's almost no distinction between the way Schopp and the Coach treat guests on their show. Schopp has become that which he once despised.

Maybe so

I don't particularly care to look back at events. I much prefer to analyze and anticipate what's next. It is much more interesting than playing MMQB.

I turned off the radio after three consecutive days of hearing solely about 1) to stand or not to stand during the National Anthem, 2) medical marijuana and 3) Crohn's disease. That was on 550, 1270 and 1520. Not a single word about offense, defense, special teams, or the Ravens.

I turned off the radio after three consecutive days of hearing solely about 1) to stand or not to stand during the National Anthem, 2) medical marijuana and 3) Crohn's disease. That was on 550, 1270 and 1520. Not a single word about offense, defense, special teams, or the Ravens.

never cared about whether or not Kap stands at the anthem and personally can't wait til that topic dies in every single show.

This pretty much explains it.

To be clear I have zero issue with what they cover. I was taking issue with Howard Simon deciding what to watch. You are at the mercy of the rest of the group. If 4x the people are going to be watching the football game, you better be up to speed on what happened.

My guess is that more in the group you mentioned will be calling in to discuss Eichel tomorrow vs. the football game. For those calling Howard Simon for his take on the game, that's readily dismissed with a "I didn't see much of it, what's your take on the football game."

There may be a host of things local WGR listeners aren't willing to forgive him for, but I doubt watching Eichel on the world stage instead of the NFL opener is one of them.

Edited by K-9

Schopp lost me when I called and he shouted me down and hung up on me because he disagreed with my point. I remember when he started on Empire as the alternative to the Coach on GR. He said he wanted to do a different kind of show then. Fast Forward 15 years, and there's almost no distinction between the way Schopp and the Coach treat guests on their show. Schopp has become that which he once despised.

WNSA "sports talk for smart people". He is nothing like the sports host he was when starting on WNSA. Now he's just a bitter guy who is "stuck" in Buffalo sports talk radio. I'd love to know how much show prep he does, because listening to him sometimes, I could swear he is just mailing it in.

He rarely hangs up on anyone. Hasn't in at least a year.

He rarely hangs up on anyone. Hasn't in at least a year.

Gotta call you on this one. He hung up on the dude from Baltimore two days ago after belittling him and not allowing the dude to respond. The "brutal listen" guy that takes over at 7 had Baltimore guy on later and they had a good back and forth. And every thing else in Freddy's Dead's post was spot on. Schoop was a revelation at NSA, and is just a dick now. I feel like he has gotten better Since Pegula took over the Bills, but we could do better.

I hate when I put WGR on and the are talking about hockey. But I have no interest in hockey. I understand that hockey is big over there in Buffalo so I accept that every now and again they will talk about it. If I turn Schopp and the Bulldog on and they are going on about hockey for a significant time you know what I do? I turn it off again.

We all have that choice.

Gotta call you on this one. He hung up on the dude from Baltimore two days ago after belittling him and not allowing the dude to respond. The "brutal listen" guy that takes over at 7 had Baltimore guy on later and they had a good back and forth. And every thing else in Freddy's Dead's post was spot on. Schoop was a revelation at NSA, and is just a dick now. I feel like he has gotten better Since Pegula took over the Bills, but we could do better.

I do hear him do it occasionally, most of the time I'm glad he did.

I do hear him do it occasionally, most of the time I'm glad he did.

It's one thing to disagree with a caller, is another to to not even listen to someone's point and dismiss them by hanging up. I'm not asking him to listen to someone make a point for 5 minutes but when someone calls in and tries to make a point he doesn't agree with he cuts them off, says they're wrong and talks over them until he gets bored and hangs up on them.

Edited by The Wiz

???

So, since he hung up on a caller on Tuesday, that anecdotally proves what? I listen to about 90 min every day on my way home. It happens maybe once a month, possibly even less. Dickerson berated 2-3 callers per hour, every hour of every day.

Callers do not have a God given right to ruin another person's radio show.

Posters get booted from here when their participation ruins the conversation for other people. I would expect the same to occur on any other platform or medium.

It's one thing to disagree with a caller, is another to to not even listen to someone's point and dismiss them by hanging up. I'm not asking him to listen to someone make a point for 5 minutes but when someone calls in and tries to make a point he doesn't agree with he cuts them off, says they're wrong and talks over them until he gets bored and hangs up on them.

I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that 90% of the time I've heard it happen, I also would have hung up and I'm thankful to have not had to listen to the caller anymore. It also happened to me once long ago with Art Wanderer on Empire network, so I do understand how frustrating it is to wait online only to be treated poorly. (I made the point that steroids should not be penalized in professional sports during the Barry Bonds era and was yelled at and hung up on.) But as a listener today I sometimes appreciate not having to listen to someone who says something I think is completely off / ridiculous.

Edited by Captain Caveman

???

So, since he hung up on a caller on Tuesday, that anecdotally proves what? I listen to about 90 min every day on my way home. It happens maybe once a month, possibly even less. Dickerson berated 2-3 callers per hour, every hour of every day.

Callers do not have a God given right to ruin another person's radio show.

Posters get booted from here when their participation ruins the conversation for other people. I would expect the same to occur on any other platform or medium.

Agreed.

I was actually listening when this call was made. The guy from Baltimore called and wanted to discuss... gasp... FOOTBALL! Should've known better.

I for one would've liked to hear an opposing fans take on the game

Edited by SWATeam