lol @ WGR

I see you are a big hockey fan.

People like to B word about WGR's air time apportionment between the Sabres and Bills.

I listen to them all the time in the background and in my opinion, they do a fine job of balancing things.

They focus on Sabres when it's really relevant to do so, and the Bills when that is relevant to do so.

Schopp and the Bulldog haven't talked about a hockey or Sabre related topic in so long, I can't remember when it would have been.

It's been all Bills all the time for weeks.

Lastly, for "Joe Six Pack" there are other Sabre/hockey fans saying the same thing, only in reference to the Bills.

The usual refrain goes something like "Can you believe the mouth breathers are talking about that stupid football nonsense again?"

Everyone has different interests.

Try to relax a bit.

I actually am a hockey fan. But I have little to no interest in a meaningless off-season tournament. Hell, I generally find the first two months of the regular season un-engaging.

I get your point, but, man...it's football season finally.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a little strange to me living in New Orleans for the last 9 years. By the time mid-July rolls around they take zero minutes total to talk anything but football. HS, college and pro take up any and all sports talk.

Is there even a hockey team in Louisiana to talk about? It's a whole different animal up here, especially in WNY.

Yeah, when Sal comes on we get a reprieve from tennis and candy drafts

I have been listening in my commute home for several years. Have never heard Mike talk tennis. So, that complaint seems reasonable.

They also do maybe 2 of those fun drafts per year during dead periods. So, you doubled down with that one.

I actually am a hockey fan. But I have little to no interest in a meaningless off-season tournament. Hell, I generally find the first two months of the regular season un-engaging.

I get your point, but, man...it's football season finally.

I'm super excited for the tournament and don't consider it meaningless.

It's the hockey version of the World Cup and that is a big deal.

I am sure WGR will devote a huge portion of their on-air time today to the Bills home opener.

But Hockey Hotline is carved out as a hockey specialty show and I see now reason for that to change.

You know, in big cities, sometimes there are 3 different games being played at the major league level in three different sports in the same town on the same day!

There's room for all the sports.

I have been listening in my commute home for several years. Have never heard Mike talk tennis. So, that complaint seems reasonable.

They also do maybe 2 of those fun drafts per year during dead periods. So, you doubled down with that one.

I think if these people had to listen to Philadelphia sports radio on a regular basis, they might choose their tune on WGR.

I like them, just thought it was curious they went hockey on NFL opening day.

Sorry, I would just prefer my local sports talk host have an interest in and knowledge of the biggest sport in the region/country. But that's just me

Is there even a hockey team in Louisiana to talk about? It's a whole different animal up here, especially in WNY.

Just to be clear I was a Sabres season ticket holder (family still is) and lived in WNY for 25 years. I understand that it is a passionate hockey market. That does not change the fact that 4x as many people (conservatively) in WNY will watch a football game between 2 out-of-market and out-of-division teams over there own young superstar. Buffalo is a great hockey market and a pretty good football market (great for the Bills though). Being a pretty good football market will translate to a way bigger audience than a great (in fact I will say the best) hockey market.

I get covering Eichel and you certainly should. He is on the verge of turning the franchise around. Let's just not confuse an exhibition hockey tournament with the start of the NFL season. The numbers will reflect that.

4x as many people will watch football, and the radio coverage also bears this out. This is their weekday schedule (except Mondays, where the hockey is replaced with more football.)

6-10 Howard and Jeremy - 90% football (maybe 80% once hockey starts?)

10-12 Hockey Hotline - 100% hockey

12-3 John Murphy - 100% football

3-7 Schop and Bulldog - 70% football, 20% bull ****, 10% other sports including hockey

I think there's a show at 7 now but I haven't heard it. That's 13 hours of original programming, with the vast majority focused on football, and 8 hours a week of hockey.

4x as many people will watch football, and the radio coverage also bears this out. This is their weekday schedule (except Mondays, where the hockey is replaced with more football.)

6-10 Howard and Jeremy - 90% football (maybe 80% once hockey starts?)

10-12 Hockey Hotline - 100% hockey

12-3 John Murphy - 100% football

3-7 Schop and Bulldog - 70% football, 20% bull ****, 10% other sports including hockey

I think there's a show at 7 now but I haven't heard it. That's 13 hours of original programming, with the vast majority focused on football, and 8 hours a week of hockey.

Time and a place. No need for a hockey show today . Hopefully never on Mondays as well

No need for hockey today? On the day when our star player, savior of the franchise, hits the ice on a major stage for the first time in a few months, you expect zero hockey talk?

There is a need for a hockey show today; Jack Eichel is playing tonight.

That said, these two are going on and on about the anthem bull **** and not talking hockey anyway.

I'm sure the afternoon show will have talk about tennis and favorite foods.

Can you please start one of these for January/February.

When the John Murphy show is airing from 12-3 and there is an important Sabres game that night.

The Sabres haven't played an important game since T Pegs took over.

I'm sure the afternoon show will have talk about tennis and favorite foods.

You didn't read this, did you?: