seantrel Henderson facing 4 game suspension

You can't? Pretty sure the underground opioid problem is HUGE in this country...

"You want a toe? I'll get you a toe. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock..."

But we're not talking about getting it illegally. We're talking about justifying the use of legally obtained marijuana via a prescription from your doctor.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisBrownBills

Rex- I think we have some excellent programs and guys have to be accountable. If it's against the rules it's against the rules. #Bills

It would probably be a good idea to not immediately assume that Seantrel was self-medicating with marijuana rather than, you know, doing it to get high ... as a starting point for a rational discussion: did Seantrel have symptoms of Crohn's Disease when he previously tested positive for marijuana?

though we have no idea if that actually happened here, as a slight disclaimer.

You beat me to it ...

@MatthewFairburn

Rex Ryan on Seantrel Henderson: "We can't comment on it. If you want further information on this, contact the league."

Anyone else sick of the leaks from the league in these types of things? Manny Lawson, and this. This is ridiculous and really just feeds the worst instincts in the press. I wish Rex had called out the league on this.

kj

@TheBillsWire

Bills OT Seantrel Henderson suspended 4 games, tricky situation for NFL

https://t.co/Q4WKlHk85U

Anyone else sick of the leaks from the league in these types of things? Manny Lawson, and this. This is ridiculous and really just feeds the worst instincts in the press. I wish Rex had called out the league on this.

kj

He can't.

The case that's going to hurt Seantrel Henderson with saying he's taking it because of crohns disease, is Eric Berry from a year ago when he had cancer. I'm not comparing the 2 illness or situations but I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL compared the 2 in their defense saying that there are/were other players with illnesses that didn't resort to using marijuana as well.

The case that's going to hurt Seantrel Henderson with saying he's taking it because of crohns disease, is Eric Berry from a year ago when he had cancer. I'm not comparing the 2 illness or situations but I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL compared the 2 in their defense saying that there are/were other players with illnesses that didn't resort to using marijuana as well.

You know, if Seantrel had gone public with a request for an exemption (first ever) or for a renegotiation of the CBA to allow for certain medical exemptions, etc., then the theory that it was all about pain relief would have more credibility ...

if he was medicating and did not report it to the league, that its marijuana barely matters beyond the fact that it would fall under a more lenient policy than any other banned substance in the league. the general stance is that guys are responsible for what they put in their body and if its outside of league policy they most report it. it could have been as minor as adderall for ADD with a prescription, but he needs to report it, or you face banned substance repercussions.

if its for not disclosing his medical treatments, its pretty stupid on his part.

given his history with self medication, id venture its very possibly (probably) smoking again.

if hes not disclosing his medications, its his own fault....

No its not. Its the leagues fault for not using common sense

if he was medicating and did not report it to the league, that its marijuana barely matters beyond the fact that it would fall under a more lenient policy than any other banned substance in the league. the general stance is that guys are responsible for what they put in their body and if its outside of league policy they most report it. it could have been as minor as adderall for ADD with a prescription, but he needs to report it, or you face banned substance repercussions.

But there is no reporting MJ to the league because they do not accept it no matter what.. But Seantrel and every human deserves access to this herb for whatever reason they choose.

Two thoughts.

Can we just legalize Weed and be done with it. We as a society have no problem with grown men bashing their brains about... Literally to the point that they have a greatly increased risk of many cognitive problems in the future but heaven forbid they chill out and get the munchies.

Typical Rex team. No need to worry about being held accountable when accountability means " running a lap". SMH

This could lead to an interesting dilemma for the league. If a Dr. prescribes a player marijuana for pain management, can they legally penalize the player for following doctors orders. On the flip side, every player in the league would soon have prescriptions for medical marijuana. This could get interesting...

A doctor can prescribe HGH, still a banned substance.

This in on Henderson alone. Stupidity is a 4 game suspension.

If this goes down, lynch Goodell. We have pieces of crap like Hardy being allowed to play, while Henderson is trying to just survive.

Survival with Crohn's (a chronic disease) is not related to smoking weed...

A doctor can prescribe HGH, still a banned substance.

This in on Henderson alone. Stupidity is a 4 game suspension.

Survival with Crohn's (a chronic disease) is not related to smoking weed...

It may be on Henderson because he knew the rules, but it also means that we don't have to blame him for being an idiot and have a little compassion for what he went through. Also Goodell should take that into consideration for his suspension if changing a phone number merits consideration. "Bell knew the rules"

Edited by What a Tuel

It may be on Henderson because he knew the rules, but it also means that we don't have to blame him for being an idiot and have a little compassion for what he went through. Also Goodell should take that into consideration for his suspension if changing a phone number merits consideration. "Bell knew the rules"

He can't credibly claim that MJ was part of his Crohn's disease treatment, so really, the compassion excuse is weak. This guy like to smoke weed--before he knew he had Crohn's

Edited by Mr. WEO

He should serve it right away and not appeal. We can probably get by without him until after week 4.

Does anyone know if you can serve a suspension while still pursuing an appeal?

He's eligible to practice and play while until the appeal is heard and adjudicated.

***I'm thinking that this isn't the first time he's been caught? For a first offense it's a 1 game suspension, the second time is 4 games and the third time is a season long suspension. Can someone clarify this for me if I'm wrong***

I have a weird feeling that he was busted earlier this offseason

Was mentioned earlier in the thread that he tested positive at the combine, so he came into the league already in the program.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/5/5682948/nfl-draft-seantrel-henderson-marijuana-combine

New York State (assuming that is where the "infraction" went down) is a medical marijuana legal state for various conditions, one of which is inflammatory bowel disease.

If this was all done on the up and up he should win the appeal.

Sounds like the sentencing arm of the NFL didn't talk to the legal compliance arm prior to casting judgment.

19. New York

Assembly Bill 6357 pdf-logo.gif
Approved: June 19, 2014 by Assembly, 117-13; June 20, 2014 by Senate, 49-10
Signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo on July 5, 2014
Effective: Upon Governor's signature

The Department of Health had 18 months to establish regulations and register dispensing organizations. Marijuana will be taxed at 7%, to be paid by the dispensary. The law automatically expires after seven years.

Approved Conditions: "You are potentially eligible for medical marijuana if you have been diagnosed with a specific severe, debilitating or life threatening condition that is accompanied by an associated or complicating condition. By law, those conditions are: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, and Huntington's disease. The associated or complicating conditions are cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe or persistent muscle spasms."

Physicians must complete a four-hour New York State Department of Health (Department)-approved course and register with the Department to certify patients.

Possession/Cultivation: 30-day supply

Smoking is not a method approved by the bill.

Update:

On Nov. 11, 2015 Gov. Cuomo signed a bill pdf-logo.gif to allow emergency access to medical marijuana, requiring state health officials to establish an expedited certification process for seriously ill patients and to register marijuana producers "as expeditiously as practicable."

On Jan. 7, 2016, the medical marijuana program officially launched with eight dispensaries statewide.

He can't credibly claim that MJ was part of his Crohn's disease treatment, so really, the compassion excuse is weak. This guy like to smoke weed--before he knew he had Crohn's

Why isn't that credible? Just because he liked to smoke before he was in the NFL doesn't mean it's not helpful now. A quick Google search turns up many articles (most of them not from high times) indicating there is evidence that Marijuana can be helpful for those suffering from Crohn's and Colitis.