Manny Lawson cut

YoloinOhio

I don't like Lawson being cut, while he's not a star he is always in the right position. I always thought of him as a fundamentally sound player that knew his job very well within the system.

Time will tell if this move was the correct one.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that always true?

You can think of not one major bonehead decision by a GM/FO/HC that could have been or was predicted by a fan?

Oh I'm sure we can think of some examples - but without having the knowledge of why they did it - it's pretending to be smarter. Unless a fan can tell us all how Manny was doing in the classroom, each practice or what other plans they have that could involve that persons salary, etc is a wild guess.

I could understand saying - that doesn't make sense to me or it surprised me because he seemed like a fit, ok. However to say they're stupid and inept for doing this without 90% of the information is kinda crazy.

Edited by Triple Threat

So long Captain Over Pursue!! We wish you nothing but the best.

On a side note Manny Lawson is one of the most interesting people in the league IMO. He scored a crazy 43 on the Wonderlic, ran a 4.43 and is 6'6" and 241 lbs. On paper he is unbelievable, but he is just an average football player.

He was one of the four best defensive players they had last year and is actually smart. Smarter than whaley, and smarter than Rex. My guess is that his injury is handicapping him too much.

I fear this D is gonna be ugly bad. The talent overall is poor.

If he's going to be suspended for a game, no sense having his salary guaranteed. I think this is a salary cap move, and he'll be back in week two.

Hope you're right.

If he's going to be suspended for a game, no sense having his salary guaranteed. I think this is a salary cap move, and he'll be back in week two.

I don't understand this line of thinking. If he's suspended, he'll lose his salary for that game, guarantee or not.

If it's a salary cap move, it's risky - he may be signed elsewhere.

Frankly the writing was on the wall with this one for weeks. Why do you think he was the only "starter" getting significant playing time the last two weeks, especially last night? He had a significant injury causing him to miss most of camp, came in behind, and has not looked good. Sometimes guys do hit the wall. I am afraid I do not see the conspiracy theories others are seeing here. And, oh by the way, under investigation by the NFL.

Agreed. Without the injury he probably makes the squad but it set him back too far. He's always been great covering TE's or RB's, good instincts, batted balls etc., but reputation wasn't enough to keep him on the squad I guess.

Doubt he is picked up elsewhere until injuries start happening and someone needs a mercenary 3-4 lb

Oh I'm sure we can think of some examples - but without having the knowledge of why they did it - it's pretending to be smarter. Unless a fan can tell us all how Manny was doing in the classroom, each practice or what other plans they have that could involve that persons salary, etc is a wild guess.

I could understand saying - that doesn't make sense to me or it surprised me because he seemed like a fit, ok. However to say they're stupid and inept for doing this without 90% of the information is kinda crazy.

I agree.

I was surprised Manny was cut because based on the little information I had (watching him play in previous seasons and reading what observers said about preseason/training camp), I thought Manny was a lock to make the time and would do well this season.

Clearly the coaches have all our information and very much more. There's something in that mysterious "much more" that caused Manny to be released.