Kaepernick and the National Anthem

US Weekly was a fashion magazine in October 2015?

So a magazine article discussing race relations with a mixed race athlete was not an appropriate venue to discuss his true feelings about this country's institutional oppression (which upstream you said he just recently decided he thought about), but an NFL pregame(s) is the exact tplace to bring it up?

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. It wasn't from a US Weekly article.

And this was from before last season was over...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/12/15/in-praises-of-colin-kaepernicks-social-conscience/?doing_wp_cron=1472324321.3220570087432861328125

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Btw, I found that blog from last year by clicking on a link from the Mercury News, you know, the paper that covers the 49ers, which stated..."* Note: If you think Kaepernick’s social activism is coming out of the blue, you haven’t been paying attention to his Malcolm X hats or dozens of other things. Here’s my blog-item from last December."

He has the right to sit during the anthem and I have the right to call him a whiny B word that should appreciate the fact that an !@#$ like him can earn an amazing living in this great country.

guaranteed contracts allow this crap to happen... he has no downside. if he is run out of the league , he runs all the way to the bank. you don't see free agents being d-cks like this

guaranteed contracts allow this crap to happen... he has no downside. if he is run out of the league , he runs all the way to the bank. you don't see free agents being d-cks like this

Except he doesn't really have a guaranteed contract. The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts. Kap was one of the first QBs to have big contracts that were basically year to year.

Over 200 years of slavery, followed by decades of segregation policies. Comparing the injustices done to others will always fall short imo.

Wanna ask a Native that before you think it falls short? I have and quite a few say screw that, where is Native American month?! And yes, I have asked quite a few of my Native friends.

C'mon Bman, he's taking a stand and fighting for the oppressed.

Pretty sure these people believe they could be a victim of the police as much as any other black person because of their skin color. Its utter BS.

I'm getting a kick out of you blaming everyone but the cops. Who got away with this. Which is a big part of the BLM movement and individual protests like Kaep

A grand jury was convened and no charges were pressed.

Regardless, this isn't the norm. If it is bring your stats to back the claim up. Hundreds of millions of encounters a year, less than 1,000 police shootings. 730 of which were in the commission of an attack in progress.

Seek justice for your individual cases, but BLM is built on a great big lie, and the media refuses to tell the truth because it is a cash cow. 29 pages in over a day. Imagine what speculation about an unjustified shooting does to ratings.

Edited by What a Tuel

Pretty sure these people believe they could be a victim of the police as much as any other black person because of their skin color. Its utter BS.

A grand jury was convened and no charges were pressed.

Regardless, this isn't the norm. If it is bring your stats to back the claim up. Hundreds of millions of encounters a year, less than 1,000 police shootings. 730 of which were in the commission of an attack in progress.

Seek justice for your individual cases, but BLM is built on a great big lie, and the media refuses to tell the truth because it is a cash cow. 29 pages in over a day. Imagine what speculation about an unjustified shooting does to ratings.

Stats, reason, logic...these things only tighten their grip.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Couldn't sleep, got up, checked this forum for FOOTBALL talk.

Wondering WHY this post is still here, and hasn't been moved to the Politics, Polls, & Pundits sub forum. Moderators have the weekend off? LOL

FWIW, Kap is a pampered Idiot who undoubtedly has no clue as to the truth of race issues and "oppression" in this country.

Expressing his POV is what we call freedom in this great country. If you want him to adhere to only expressions of love, then maybe you should try out North Korea to see how you like it there.

You have a point, but the problem is that the Anthem (and our flag), as symbols of our country, are the very things enabling him to express his POV. By showing disrespect for our anthem, Kaepernick publicly undermined the foundation for the freedoms that he enjoys. So, it is Kaepernick who seems that he would prefer North Korea.

One thing that stands out to me here in this is the lack of gratitude that Kaepernick shows. For all of the injustices that our nation has been guilty of, it has also given much to Kaepernick (as other posters have pointed out). He looks like a spoiled brat.

Also, the whole thing makes me a bit sad. I wonder if we have lost our sense of community in our country. I think at one time American's felt a common bond with one another over our commitment to the democratic ideal of liberty, the rule of law, equality, human rights, etc. I don't think we share this any longer. In fact, I think it is sometimes easier to find anger, hatred, or simple indifference to America and the ideals that it represents. I don't know why this has happened, but it is a bit depressing.

Many of the things you list aren't based on race but socioeconomic status. But far easier to lump them in with race because you score points with voters.

Congratulations on being uninformed

Your take is laughable. You're the one who's either uninformed or in denial about the disproportionate impact on minority communities along with the prison industrial complex that has exploded the number of black and brown inmates in the United States.

Serious question, is Kap a real black guy? I always thought he was mixed.

Real black guy? Give me a break. The concept of race was made up to justify the inhumane treatment of people of color by the brutal systems of slavery and colonialism. The BBC did an excellent three part series about ten years ago that tells the story on the origins of the concept of race and the origins of racism.

http://youtu.be/efI6T8lovqY

But his opinion seems to have something substantial behind it, you just don't like what you hear.

Now who has the blinders on. Your crusade us admirable. From your posts you seem like a person heavily ingratiated or at least concerned with our civil liberties.

So tell me, what have you done or are you doing to advance these causes?

He had over a 4.0 average in high school. Was a good student athlete at Neveda (don't know his GPA) and scored a 38 on Wonderlic.

Interesting; thanks. I was basing my (uninformed) view on the claims that he struggled to read defenses. Again, I'd gladly accept his presence on the Bills.