Bills power rankings

Beerball

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@walterfootball

NFL Power Rankings updated - http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

16.billsb_logo.gif Buffalo Bills (8-8) - Previously: 15.
The Bills would've been higher than this if it weren't for their injuries. It seems like their entire front seven is out, and if that wasn't bad enough, the offense is supposed to carry the team, and Cordy Glenn may not be healthy. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned that there are two Ryan brothers in one city. Two! Like, as in one more than there should be. I'm utterly shocked that the entire city of Buffalo hasn't imploded yet.

We're gonna get smoked this year. 4th in the division is a lock.

Nice. We haven't even started and you're giving up?

Have you ever been on a championship team? Do even know what it means to be a champion?

I've been on championship teams in 3 sports. I DO know what it takes - a sense of "family" and finding a way to overcome adversity.

Every team I have been on had some obstacles to overcome. The champs did so, the non-champs didn't

Giving up before you start is the sign of a LOSER.

I'm pretty sure that tis team will not just roll over. Why are you?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nfl-power-rankings-top-of-the-nfc-is-absolutely-loaded-142137041.html

17. Buffalo Bills

First-round pick Shaq Lawson is out for a while after shoulder surgery. Second-round pick Reggie Ragland went down with a knee injury suffered in practice. That’s not good news for a Bills defense that was depending on those two rookies to play big roles.

Plenty of rookies have great first seasons, and plenty of rookies who were supposed to be great don't pan out. But, I think any time you hang your hat on a rookie season, it's a mistake.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Pro Football Talk has us at #29 behind the 49ers. What a joke.

That's just plain silliness.

Ha! I saw that ranking and shook my head. Of course, all power rankings, especially before ONE regular season game is played, are completely worthless--no matter if your team is ranked high, or low. They are far more worthless than preseason College rankings, because those rankings are a lot "stickier" than anything at the pro level.

Given that caveat, yes #29 does seem a bit crazy, and pretty divergent from other rankings. But I have to admit, I have not been this pessimistic about the Bills going into a season in many, many years--as long as my booze and drug addled mind can remember. Rex has been, IMO, the worst HC in football over the past few years. The addition of Rob Ryan (easily the worst DC in football over that same period) as "Assistant Head Coach" makes me throw up in my mouth, a little.

I can imagine ways this team might succeed. But I'm not "all in" on any of the scenarios I can think of---they all seem fairly unlikely, or pretty far-fetched, to me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. And I'll be thrilled to admit it, if the Bills turn things around, this year.

Go ahead then, make the case for a successful.season.

As a Bills fan, the easiest and laziest thing to do is whine about coaches and players and predict a four win season. Any fool can do it, which is why people like Timmah Graham have jobs,.

Try this: Explain to us what steps you'd take to turn this team around. Coaches? Rosters? Schemes?

Since you are certain of what's wrong with the team, surely you must know what it will take to make it right.

Go ahead. Break it down.

Ha! I saw that ranking and shook my head. Of course, all power rankings, especially before ONE regular season game is played, are completely worthless--no matter if your team is ranked high, or low. They are far more worthless than preseason College rankings, because those rankings are a lot "stickier" than anything at the pro level.

Given that caveat, yes #29 does seem a bit crazy, and pretty divergent from other rankings. But I have to admit, I have not been this pessimistic about the Bills going into a season in many, many years--as long as my booze and drug addled mind can remember. Rex has been, IMO, the worst HC in football over the past few years. The addition of Rob Ryan (easily the worst DC in football over that same period) as "Assistant Head Coach" makes me throw up in my mouth, a little.

I can imagine ways this team might succeed. But I'm not "all in" on any of the scenarios I can think of---they all seem fairly unlikely, or pretty far-fetched, to me.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. And I'll be thrilled to admit it, if the Bills turn things around, this year.

I see this 2016 team as a minimum eight win team if they can maintain good health among the key players.

I see this 2016 team as a minimum eight win team if they can maintain good health among the key players.

One problem with that, as I see it, is they already lost Ragland for the year, Shaq Lawson for an unknown # of games (maybe the year), Aaron Williams (who knows for how long?) and Dareus for four games. THOSE are key players I'm sure they were counting on. The season, and the injuries that come with it, haven't even started yet. So, yes, count me as concerned.

One problem with that, as I see it, is they already lost Ragland for the year, Shaq Lawson for an unknown # of games (maybe the year), Aaron Williams (who knows for how long?) and Dareus for four games. THOSE are key players I'm sure they were counting on. The season, and the injuries that come with it, haven't even started yet. So, yes, count me as concerned.

I believe the offense will be good enough to carry the team in the 1st half of the season before some defensive reinforcements (Dareus & Shaq) arrive to bolster their fortunes. We shall see.

I believe the offense will be good enough to carry the team in the 1st half of the season before some defensive reinforcements (Dareus & Shaq) arrive to bolster their fortunes. We shall see.

I sure hope so. Offense is the one area where I think the Bills should be fairly decent. Roman is a pretty good OC, Tyrod as another year as the #1, Shady is back, etc. Though I'm very worried about the OL, should the injury bug start biting.

The D is my main concern. Rex has demonstrated he cannot adapt to talent that isn't perfectly suited to "his system" (a sure sign of a crappy coach, in my book). And given the atrocious tackling ("attempted tackling" I should say) the backups showed during the preseason, and the team's complete lack of discipline, I'm not sure the offense will be enough to compensate.

But if this team wins at last two, of the first four games, I may come around a bit.

I sure hope so. Offense is the one area where I think the Bills should be fairly decent. Roman is a pretty good OC, Tyrod as another year as the #1, Shady is back, etc. Though I'm very worried about the OL, should the injury bug start biting.

The D is my main concern. Rex has demonstrated he cannot adapt to talent that isn't perfectly suited to "his system" (a sure sign of a crappy coach, in my book). And given the atrocious tackling ("attempted tackling" I should say) the backups showed during the preseason, and the team's complete lack of discipline, I'm not sure the offense will be enough to compensate.

But if this team wins at last two, of the first four games, I may come around a bit.

Not worried about guys who'll be watching the games just like you and I will and the lack of discipline issue seems overblown to me when you look at the team vs. the rest of the NFL.

I honestly think the Chiefs will fall off the grid.

Just curious, why do you think that? They are solid all-around with no major weakness. They aren't flashy on offense, but they play smart and don't make too many mistakes. Despite losing Houston, the defense is still very formidable. At least 10-6 seems like a lock for the Chiefs, IMO.

I don't know about smoked, but would 4th in the division really be surprising?

Extremely. The Dolphins are not that good on defense and their offensive line and QB play is questionable. The Jets are iffy. Good on D; Forte is nice add. Like their WR's. But Fitz is still Fitz. The Bills top skill position players are better than the skill positions on either of those two teams. Taylor, Watkins, McCoy, Clay; would you rather them or the Dolphins/Jets top skill position player? The Bills offensive line should be at least decent as it was last season. I would hope for improvement from Miller.

For all the talk of the Bills defense being bad, and they were in comparison to past seasons, they were basically middle of the pack. This team is all about improvement at the QB position. I fully expect Tyrod to take a step forward. If he does and the Bills get the same effort as last year everywhere else they will be in the playoffs. There were a couple games last season the Bills could have won with better play from #5 at the end of the game. (Philly and KC)

Of course all of this is contingent on health, but that's every teams caveat.

Extremely. The Dolphins are not that good on defense and their offensive line and QB play is questionable. The Jets are iffy. Good on D; Forte is nice add. Like their WR's. But Fitz is still Fitz. The Bills top skill position players are better than the skill positions on either of those two teams. Taylor, Watkins, McCoy, Clay; would you rather them or the Dolphins/Jets top skill position player? The Bills offensive line should be at least decent as it was last season. I would hope for improvement from Miller.

For all the talk of the Bills defense being bad, and they were in comparison to past seasons, they were basically middle of the pack. This team is all about improvement at the QB position. I fully expect Tyrod to take a step forward. If he does and the Bills get the same effort as last year everywhere else they will be in the playoffs. There were a couple games last season the Bills could have won with better play from #5 at the end of the game. (Philly and KC)

Of course all of this is contingent on health, but that's every teams caveat.

@SiriusXMNFL

AFC East Picks for Jim & Pat Kirwan 1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Bills 4. Dolphins Mills: 1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Bills 4. Dolphins

I don't think any of these people actually play the game.

Sure, we're playing half our schedule against top 8 teams, but if you want to be a playoff team you have to beat good teams.

Our offensive line is solid. Healthy running backs. Really good quarterback. Solid tight end. Healthy receivers. 2nd year with Roman. Vastly improved offense.

Defense was #19 last year. Think of the second game against New England. We lost, of course, but Brady was very confused, yelling at his linemen. Rex is capable of creating that sort of havoc out there, and I think the defense will be better this year. Much better. Our defensive backfield is great.

There is reason for optimism. If somehow we get a win in Baltimore I like our chances coming home against the Jets. After that, who knows?

The offense did not look good in the preseason. I know, preseason doesn't count . I didn't see much cause for optimism though. Rex held many players out, but the lack of depth revealed by this was startling. It doesn't look like the Bills can withstand any injuries to their better players on O.

I feel much better about the D this year than I did at this time last year. I liked what I saw of Washington and Worthy in preseason. As long as Kyle stays healthy until Dareus gets back, I think they'll be fine. I think the front 7 will play better than the sum of its parts, especially against the run. We should have a good idea about this team by the Pats game.

Just something interesting to discuss, but of course you're correct that they don't mean squat.

yes, I meant in the sense"who cares about what some national talking head thinks?!"

I feel much better about the D this year than I did at this time last year. I liked what I saw of Washington and Worthy in preseason. As long as Kyle stays healthy until Dareus gets back, I think they'll be fine. I think the front 7 will play better than the sum of its parts, especially against the run. We should have a good idea about this team by the Pats game.

yes, I meant in the sense"who cares about what some national talking head thinks?!"

Gotcha! :thumbsup:

Why does anyone care about preseason rankings? Let's see where they stand at thanksgiving--in the hunt or not.

They should. It shows the depth on this team. If your starters are out for extended period of time, you are leaning on these players to make contributions in a CONSISTENT way. I believe that is the difference between good and bad teams.

@AroundTheNFL

CrwCpmBUIAAxNpH.jpg

RANK 16

BUF.png

BILLS

Is anyone else tired of the Bills missing the postseason? If you happen to be 20 and gorging yourself on Cheez-Its in your dorm room, you were 3 the last time Buffalo found itself in the playoffs. And even that memory is painful. When second-round pick Reggie Ragland went down, Bills Mafia Twitter assured me that Ragland was no savior in the first place and not to worry about it. OK. Then first-rounder Shaq Lawson was officially placed on Reserve/PUP. Not to mention, Marcell Dareus is suspended for the first four games. This could've been the year for the Bills, with Tom Brady's early absence. Instead, we might be staring down another .500 campaign. If I owned political aspirations, my campaign would be "Let's make the Bills great again." I wouldn't be plagiarizing anybody.

@si_nfl

The bottom three of @ChrisBurke_SI's Week 1 Power Rankings: 30. Tennessee Titans 31. Cleveland Browns 32.

19 Buffalo Bills

last week: 19
Rex Ryan has become something of the NFL’s ShamWow Guy. He’s constantly pitching the value of his team’s product, no matter how shoddy his previous sale turned out to be. “Hey, remember the 2015 Bills? Forget them. Try the new and improved 2016 Bills. Faster, stronger, made from 100% organic materials!”
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just off the top of my head I would have placed the Bills around #14 to start the season so being placed at #15 is not too bad.

However, when you look at some of the teams listed ahead of them you have to wonder if the Bills should be ranked higher.

if the Bills can keep their best players healthy for most of the season they could be playoff bound this year. Players like Taylor, McCoy, Watkins, Clay, Bush, Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Woods on offense and Dareus, KW, Hughes, P. Brown, Gilmore, Darby, AW on defense need to stay healthy.

My comments:
2016 NFL Power Rankings: Training Camp Edition Rank Team 2015 Record
1 Denver Broncos 12-4 - Outstanding defense by Simien ain't no P. Manning.
2 Carolina Panthers 15-1 - They lost their top CB, but this is probably the team most deserving of #1 at this point.
3 New England Patriots 12-4 - Without Brady this team should be ranked lower, possibly #8.
4 Seattle Seahawks 10-6 - Top 5 team.
5 Pittsburgh Steelers 10-6 - Great offense, terrible secondary. Should be ranked #10.
6 Green Bay Packers 10-6 - Good team with a great QB. Top 6 is about right.
7 Cincinnati Bengals 12-4 - Very good team with a slightly above average QB. Top 12.
8 Arizona Cardinals 13-3 - Very talented team with franchise QB. I would have them at #2.
9 Indianapolis Colts 8-8 - Not impressed by Luck. Their defense is poor. Rank should be #16-#20.
10 Kansas City Chiefs - Talented team with great HC. #10 about right.
11-5 11 Minnesota Vikings 11-5 - New QB Bradford. I'd move them back to #14-#16.
12 Oakland Raiders 7-9 - Talent has improved, but still much to prove. #15-#18.
13 New York Giants 6-10 - Good team, below average HC. #21-#24.
14 Dallas Cowboys 4-12 - No QB Romo. #22-#25.
15 Buffalo Bills 8-8 - Depends upon what you think of QB Taylor. I think #14 is about right.
16 Philadelphia Eagles 7-9 - Going with a rookie QB, rookie HC. #26-#28.
17 Baltimore Ravens 5-11 - Weak team last year, several players out this year. #26-#28.
18 Atlanta Falcons 8-8 - Talented RB/WR, aggressive defense. #16-#17.
19 Houston Texans 9-7 - New QB, lost RB Foster. #23-#26.
20 Washington Redskins 9-7 - Talented team, QB Cousins is better than you think. #18-#20.
21 Jacksonville Jaguars 5-11 - Improved their talent in the draft, can score. #20-#21.
22 New Orleans Saints 7-9 - Drees getting old, defense stinks. #26-#27.
23 New York Jets 10-6 - Strong team. Need Fitz to play well and stay healthy. #15-#16.
24 San Diego Chargers 4-12 - Lousy team. #29-#30.
25 Detroit Lions 7-9 - No real star power. #27-#29.
26 Miami Dolphins 6-10 - Improved team, need QB Tannehill to be more consistent. #22-#23.
27 Chicago Bears 6-10 - Weak team. #27-#30.
28 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6-10 - QB has improved. #24-#27.
29 Los Angeles Rams 7-9 - No QB. Gurley can't do it all. #28-#30.
30 Tennessee Titans 3-13 - Low level talent overall. #29-#30.
31 San Francisco 49ers 5-11 - Bad team. #31.
32 Cleveland Browns 3-13 - Really bad team. #32.

NFL.com: There's a new No. 1 (and No. 2) in town

Welp, that didn't take long. In the wake of a wild opening week of action, Elliot Harrison enacts large-scale change in the NFL hierarchy, starting with the top two spots on the board.

RANK 22

BUF.png

0-1 BILLS

The one word you could use to describe the Bills' offense Sunday was, well, offensive. Ugh. Tyrod Taylor and the passing "attack" generated less than 100 net yards. #GetExcited. Reggie Bush contributed three carries for negative yards, so that's fun. And now Buffalo's scariest weapon is feeling pain. That said, the defense held the fort multiple times despite being on the field too long. Spoke to a Bills fan in our NFL West office Sunday, @PatrickCrawleyNFL, who said it was nice that I support the team so much. "Nice," he said, "if it didn't sound like you feel sorry for them." My reply ...

ESPN: Packers jump the Patriots in Week 2 Power Rankings
The Packers and Patriots made noise with opening-week wins, and the party continues as both teams move up into the top slots in ESPN's Week 2 Power Rankings.

27. Buffalo Bills

2016 record: 0-1

Week 1 ranking: No. 16rd-arrow.png

The Bills mustered a whopping seven points in Week 1 and didn't even record a first down in the fourth quarter. But with the Jets coming to Buffalo in Week 2, that could change quickly. The Bills went 2-0 against coach Rex Ryan's former team last season.

@si_nfl

The Bucs were the biggest riser in this week's Power Rankings, up 12 spots to No. 13: http://on.si.com/2cN3QrU

CsVQsc6WcAAPr-x.jpg
22 Buffalo Bills
last week: 19
record: 0–1
Is it too early to designate a game as being “must-win”? Maybe, but if the Bills can’t knock off the Jets on Thursday, they’ll be staring 0–4 in the face (vs. Arizona in Week 3, at New England in Week 4). This team is not good enough to climb back from that hole, especially if Sammy Watkins is hobbled all year.​

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nfl-power-rankings-top-of-the-nfc-is-absolutely-loaded-142137041.html

17. Buffalo Bills

First-round pick Shaq Lawson is out for a while after shoulder surgery. Second-round pick Reggie Ragland went down with a knee injury suffered in practice. That’s not good news for a Bills defense that was depending on those two rookies to play big roles.

I was watching the game this sunday and realized, out of the past draft, we only have 1 draft pick active (Adolphus Washington). This is ridiculous. Imagine how good we would be if Shaq and Reggie and Seymore and Listenbee woulda stayed healthy. Its a damn shame. a damn shame

I was watching the game this sunday and realized, out of the past draft, we only have 1 draft pick active (Adolphus Washington). This is ridiculous. Imagine how good we would be if Shaq and Reggie and Seymore and Listenbee woulda stayed healthy. Its a damn shame. a damn shame

Was thinking that too. If A-Wash goes down that might be a league record.

Defense wasn't the problem Sunday.

Tyrod and the offense were. We have no depth offensively.

EXACTLY! defense wasnt the problem! so imagine how good we would/will be when Shaq and Ragland are healthy! That was the point I was trying to make. It was really disappointing losing Karlos. We needed a good 1-2 punch RB core with Shady as the speed back and Karlos as the power back. I was hoping J Will would slide in and take the #2 spot from Reggie but hes injured for a while. If Watkins goes down for the season we might be done breh!!