Topic of the day7/10: If you could change one NFL rule

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate cheap penalties. False start, encroachment, multiple men in motion. So what if an O lineman flinches. The D should be watching the ball for the play to start. Let them stand up and do the Electric Boogaloo if they want.

Encroachment. As long as the D man is on his side of the line is scrimmage at the snap, what's the big deal.

Two men in motion. So what. Ever watch a CFL game? Doesn't seem to be a problem in the GWN.

Far too many times the flow of a game is interrupted for one of these nonsense penalties. Flags fly, whistles blow, zebras convene a committe meeting, and one team gets a cheap 5 yards. More times than I can count, the very next play is another 5 yard nonsense penalty that reverses the first. About 3 or 4 minutes of elapsed (real) time of nothing happening except listening to some middle aged guy in a striped shirt making announcements.

agree 100%. I'm more concerned with game flow than anything else.

My rule change would be around Thursday Night games - How fair is it for a team to have to play on Thursday after playing the previous Sunday while their opponent is coming off a bye week?

Rule Change: No team will have less than 6 days between games.

If a player is flagged for a 15 yard personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, give the other team the option of accepting the penalty, or sending the guilty player to a "penalty box" for one play. The ensuing play could then be run in 11 versus 10 mode, with one operating on an abbreviated "power play". It would especially advantageous if the penalty was committed by a defensive player.

I would change chains being used for first downs. It seems that an electronic method could be used and speed up the process when chains are brought out onto the field.

Agree. Would put some balance back into the game by giving dbs a chance.

My rule change would be around Thursday Night games - How fair is it for a team to have to play on Thursday after playing the previous Sunday while their opponent is coming off a bye week?

Rule Change: No team will have less than 6 days between games.

Makes sense to me. Edited by vincec

I am in agreement with those who say we should try and differentiate between PI where two players are legitimately trying to compete for the ball (15 yards) and intentional PI (spot foul).

But the other one I want to add is I would abolish intentional grounding where the ball is being thrown down the field. If a Quarterback wants to waste a play throwing the ball nowhere near a receiver then let him. I don't see who it hurts except the offense. I would still call IG where the ball does not get back to the line of scrimmage because that is normally a QB in desperation mode trying to avoid a sack.. but if he throws to an empty space down the field? So what? I suspect a lot of those passes to what a Quarterback thinks is empty space would be picked off and coaches would soon be discouraging it. I just think as it stands it adds unneccessary confusion among the zebras who can't spot a throw away from a badly run route.

Defensive PI 15 yards max.

Call offensive PI more often. The defenders get pushed and picked all the time and it is not fair. I like the no contact rule after 5 yards but it needs to be called both ways.

Of similar vein, I would like defensive holding to no longer be an instant 1st down. I can't remember how many times I saw teams on third and long spread it out and just air it in the hopes that the backup CB tugs a bit at the 5.1 yard mark for an instant third down.

1. Scrap Thursday night football and have that game on Saturday night. And throw in a Friday night game too. I know the issue is that those days are reserved for high school and college football, respectively, but I don't care about that.

2. The no mic in a QB's helmet thing should be a no brainer. I don't know why they even have that other than to help the patriots cheat.

3. No such things as late hit penalties. Either make the catch and get hit or don't.

4. Penalizing a QB for throwing the ball away. I know that rule is there to protect the QB but it's just not a football play.

5. Bring back touchdown celebrations.

6. Eliminate the QB kneel play.

7. Adding yardage to the first down marker when penalized close to your own end zone. Theoretically, you can take as many penalties as you want (other than holding in the end zone) at your one yard line and not be penalized. Instead, if you commit a false start at your own one, you move the first down marker to the 16 from the 11.

8. Allow every team into the playoffs this year so we can finally end the drought :s

Edited by QB Bills

Pass interference. They may not have caught the ball. 15 yds should be the penalty not spot of the foul.

The reason you can't do that in the NFL is that it incentives a DB to tackle a defenseless receiver before the ball arrives on any deep pass. Give up the 15 yard penalty instead of the 40 yard pass.

The reason you can't do that in the NFL is that it incentives a DB to tackle a defenseless receiver before the ball arrives on any deep pass. Give up the 15 yard penalty instead of the 40 yard pass.

Is that what happens in NCAA football?