Topic of the day7/10: If you could change one NFL rule

Very simple, very logical. There should be two pass interference rules. Intentional pass interface, this is at the point of the foul where it clear a large gain was impact by blatant contact before the ball is there. This would be called probably less than 10% of the time Then Pass Interference would be reduced to 15 yards and a 1st down. This would address almost 50% of the real PI and the other 40% were the refs blow it. Last year PI probably cost us a playoff spot

go Bills. Damn no what they do............i love them

I thought about adding that in, considering they allowed refs to judge if a face mask grab was intentional or not. So why not interference? But I think the implications are too great (ie, spot foul) for a judgment call like that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good ideas. Quint, I don't see a world where you allow late hits once a guy is on the ground. Not with this safety conscious climate due to concerns of even more lawsuits.

The 15 yard penalty makes sense although the unintended consequence is a WR beats you 35 years deep, screw it, push him before he catches it. At worst you get 15 yards. That's what I'd do if I'm beat real deep and the game is on the line. Unless your completely beat the DB which is usually not the case, you see the ball in the air 30-40 yards down the field, hell push him the back. You'll basically eliminate all deep passes.

Maybe you make it like hitting the punter, incidental or hitting him?

Very simple, very logical. There should be two pass interference rules. Intentional pass interface, this is at the point of the foul where it clear a large gain was impact by blatant contact before the ball is there. This would be called probably less than 10% of the time Then Pass Interference would be reduced to 15 yards and a 1st down. This would address almost 50% of the real PI and the other 40% were the refs blow it. Last year PI probably cost us a playoff spot

go Bills. Damn no what they do............i love them

Sorry didn't read far enough... agree 100%

I hate cheap penalties. False start, encroachment, multiple men in motion. So what if an O lineman flinches. The D should be watching the ball for the play to start. Let them stand up and do the Electric Boogaloo if they want.

Encroachment. As long as the D man is on his side of the line is scrimmage at the snap, what's the big deal.

Two men in motion. So what. Ever watch a CFL game? Doesn't seem to be a problem in the GWN.

Far too many times the flow of a game is interrupted for one of these nonsense penalties. Flags fly, whistles blow, zebras convene a committe meeting, and one team gets a cheap 5 yards. More times than I can count, the very next play is another 5 yard nonsense penalty that reverses the first. About 3 or 4 minutes of elapsed (real) time of nothing happening except listening to some middle aged guy in a striped shirt making announcements.

Defensive PI 15 yards max.

Call offensive PI more often. The defenders get pushed and picked all the time and it is not fair. I like the no contact rule after 5 yards but it needs to be called both ways.

AMEN on the offensive PI thing! Brady can't throw in 1.6 seconds without a rub/pick.

I say pass interference but in a different way than most of you. I don't like the rule where a receiver can't be touched after 5 yards. The NFL is a man's game. Let them fight for position. You can still call PI on the blatant holds or shoves but let the players fight for the ball.

I know the current rules allow for easier passing and more scoring which is exciting but I liked the good old days when DBs like Mel Blount could use their size and strength to battle a receiver for the ball in man-on-man coverage.

I say pass interference but in a different way than most of you. I don't like the rule where a receiver can't be touched after 5 yards. The NFL is a man's game. Let them fight for position. You can still call PI on the blatant holds or shoves but let the players fight for the ball.

I know the current rules allow for easier passing and more scoring which is exciting but I liked the good old days when DBs like Mel Blount could use their size and strength to battle a receiver for the ball in man-on-man coverage.

I agree. Let the DBs hit the WRs anywhere except when the balls in the air.

My rule change - Allow pick plays. Most teams run 'em anyway. Defenses can figure out how to stop them, especially if you also make the change Little Joe suggests.

when the offense fumbles the ball out of or through the end zone and the defense gets the ball even though they never gained possession.

That's a good one, I forgot about that. Absolutely insane rule. Offense should retain possession at the spot of the fumble, no question.

Make all plays challengeable. Limit the number of challenges to 3. Nothing worse than seeing a pass interference call that can't be overturned because it's "subjective" when there is clear replay evidence it was non existent. Don't overturn the ones that aren't clear cut.

That call was BLATANT horseshit.

Unbelievable.

Illegal motion/false start by offense.

Defense can jump around, stand, sit, whatever and that's fine. OL flinches and it's a penalty? Offensive players should be able to move freely as long as they aren't moving towards the LOS or simulating the start of a play. That includes having more than one man moving at one time.